Customer Service 866.965.0400

Advice (Quickly)

DieselDude

Hey Guys (and Gals) need opinions quickly. On my way home this evening at dark my neighbor was driving thru his field and got his car stuck so I did the neighborly thing and helped him. Well one bee decided to chase me (it was dark) and I have two nice stings.

So what is the best remedies you can think of?

Hey Guys (and Gals) need opinions quickly. On my way home this evening at dark my neighbor was driving thru his field and got his car stuck so I did the neighborly thing and helped him. Well one bee decided to chase me (it was dark) and I have two nice stings.

So what is the best remedies you can think of?

If you're not allergic where you have to carry a needle with you at all times, there should be no rush. But.....maybe, Benadryl and a cold compress???

for future reference:

A yellowjacket’s stinger is not barbed, so it can sting repeatedly. In most people a sting causes immediate pain at the site, rapidly developing localized reddening, swelling, and itching. Treat stings immediately. While a single sting may be life threatening to allergic people, it is rarely serious for others. However, the venom from multiple stings from a disturbed colony can poison even people who are not allergic. Yellowjacket stings cause about 50 deaths a year.

Treating a Sting

Gently remove the stinger by scraping the skin in the opposite direction of its entry with a long fingernail, a pocket knife blade, car key, coin or other thin, flat tool.

Wash the area around the sting with soap and water and apply ice or a cold towel to reduce swelling.

Reduce the itch with an over-the-counter sting swab, a thick paste of baking soda, Epsom salts, ammonia or meat tenderizer, which contains enzymes that help neutralize wasp venom. If nothing else is handy, apply a bit of mud. An oral antihistamine such as Benadryl can also reduce itching. Take an aspirin or acetaminophen product to ease the pain.

From my wife: Get powder meat tenderizer (adolph's, etc) and add a little bit of water to make a paste and spread it on the stings. It'll remove the stinger and the sting. :cheers:

From my wife: Get powder meat tenderizer (adolph's, etc) and add a little bit of water to make a paste and spread it on the stings. It'll remove the stinger and the sting. :cheers:

Yep always used meat tenderizer here as well. Works good for scorpion stings as well.

I take cigarette (I don't smoke but my parents do) and break it open and get some tobacco out and put some water (spit) on it if you can and put it on the sting, you will forget you were stung just moments later!

Yellow jackets and wasps don't lose their stingers like a honeybee, so there is probably nothing to scrape off.

Correct! :2thumbs::2thumbs:

Growing up my parents had over 20 beehives and I got my fair share of bee stings while working the hives.

For future reference - If stung by a honey bee or if you see a stinger on you (and aren't sure what stung you) immediately scrape it off with whatever you have available, do NOT squeeze it or wait a few minutes. A honey bee's stinger has a venom sac on it which will continue to slowly pump the venom into you. If you squeeze it you just injected yourself with the sac's contents. Or if you wait a few minutes to try to get to a first aid kit the venom sac will be emptied into you already. Hence always scrape it off as soon as possible. Use something thin and scrape sideways/lifting, do not push down or use finger tips, finger nails are great, credit cards, a stiff piece of paper, etc

As others have stated there are many household items that work well for absorbing the venom or neutralizing it. Personally I found the meat tenderizer works well but wasn't handy when I was stung, so I usually just used some dirt mixed with spit to form a poultice and went back to work.

Not fun being stung, but knowing how to deal with it quickly can help keep the pain to a minimum.

In a previously life I was an EMT, here's what I learned about stings and allergic reactions...at least it's what I learned in my materials and instructors.

For most people, the FIRST time you are stung, the reaction will be mild. It's the SECOND time you are stung that typically dictates how allergic you are to stings. So for those that have children, just b/c the child was stung once and nothing happened, doesn't mean they may not have a reaction the second time.

Your reactions to bee stings can change over time, but that is a very basic rule of thumb.

A story for you all:

I once had a parent call 911 for their child that was stung. They indicated to 911 the young child was stung 13 times and was having significant difficulty breathing. As you can imagine, Paramedics, EMTs and any available resources in close proximity were deployed to save this child's life...and I can tell you, calls like that, emergency vehicles will drive faster to the scene.

We get there, the child was happy as could be with some dried tears on their face and walking and talking just fine. The parents felt "we would not respond" if they indicated what "really" happened.

B/c this was at a park, multiple emergency resources were taken out-of-service for ~45min...to essentially provide a BAND AID and ice pack. Responding to the area, driving through the park and searching for the family, finding the family, and after a complete assessment, determing the parents were lazy. The parents were also smiling and care free when we showed up...they essentially wanted a mobile assessment (instead of going to the hospital) so they didn't have to leave the park!!

Unfortunately, on the way to the scene, one vehicle coming towards us pulled to the side of the road so we could pass. The young gentlemen driving the car behind this pulled over vehicle did not realize the driver in front of him stopped, and SLAMMED into him at full speed (i.e. ~35mph)...wrecking both cars. B/c we were there, we stopped at the scene and called a THIRD ambulance to take our place to "save" the child.

Sorry - my rant is over, but when I eventually cleared the accident scene (noone was hurt thankfully except for soar bones and police showed up), we then proceeded to the park where the child was. I'll never forget how angry I was when I realized this group of campers (their cars were right behind them), just did not want to leave to go to the hospital.

Ok - I'm done :) (sorry)

Archived