Customer Service 866.965.0400

Micro marring went from bad to worse.

hankdog101

Question

Tested some areas out today using the Flex and the micro marring went from bad to worse. Looks more like large marring now. Test spots were done on the quarter panel and hood.

- White pad, White polish, Primed the pad with a "X"

- as soon as it flashed I sprayed the pad with DS

- worked that for a few passes

Pulled the car out into the sun and this! Pulled the car back in and, added 4 drops of polish, few passes again and same results. I feel like my speed is fine, using light to mod pressure. Tried a spot on the hood and same results, micro marring turns into what looks like scratches. Pads are clean.

Plugged the PC back in and I can clean up the marring but I'm left with the micro marring. Not sure what to do! Here's some pics.

17 answers to this question

Good news! I was going to say that there is probably some adjustment needed to your technique.

Common mistakes people make:

1. Too much product
  2. Incorrect pressure
  3. Not working the product completely

Based on that last picture I'd say you're probably a combo of #1 and #3... the product appears to not be breaking down all the way which will leave you with partially polished paint.

Keep us posted on your progress and just keep practicing... you'll get it eventually. :cheers:

I had a simliar problem. Here was my solution:

-Less product

-Speed 5 on the flex (you should not be using speed 6)

-Lighter pressure

Not saying this will fix your problem as there are too many variables when it comes to machine polishing. But this is what worked for me.

Thanks. Tried this today and getting much better results.

I'm using Adams double soft towels. I thought the same thing. Was using a clean towel then changed to one of the brand new ones I just got. These marks are coming from the Flex. If I were to hit it with the PC right now they would change to micro marring.

I agree with the others in that it appears as if something that you're doing is leaving these scratches--what are you wiping the car down with after polishing? You should be at the very least using a quality clean microfiber towel, and if you're in the sun, use some detail spray to help keep the towel sliding along.

That's GOT to be frustrating after all the time that you're putting in on the car!

I had a simliar problem. Here was my solution:

-Less product

-Speed 5 on the flex (you should not be using speed 6)

-Lighter pressure

Not saying this will fix your problem as there are too many variables when it comes to machine polishing. But this is what worked for me.

The car has been clayed. I purchased the PC earlier this year and did a complete detail on the car. The car turned out good but I was left with this micro marring. I moved up to the Flex as the PC was not taking the micro marring out of the black paint. I heard the Flex was the solution for this. I went the least aggressive process first so I started with the White pad and polish on a speed of 6. I spray the pad always before starting, couple hits of DS. Since that did not give me the desired results I tried Orange pad, Orange polish, then White pad and polish and I seem to wind up with the same results. This afternoon I did Green pad and polish, then Orange then white. I still see the marring, does not seem as bad but the sun is lower in the sky right now. I'll have to pull is out tomorrow and see if there's any difference.

Archived