Customer Service 866.965.0400

Car Battery

DanFish

Guest Gone & Forgotten

What kind of car? Optima Red tops are great (Gel battery, not as high of risk of damage from leakage), Interstate - I've had great luck personally with the Sam's Club bats, usually Energizer brand - price/bang for buck - Sam's Club.

CCA should be matched to car's specs. Why would you need more than the OEM requirement on CCA's?

I've had a Optima Red Top in my Jeep since 2006, so just over 5 years now and running strong. Ran it down a couple times with offroad lights and radio, jumped it and was forgiven. I've heard that the quality dropped around that same time, but mine is going great and I'll get another when this eventually wears out.

That's really my only experience with getting a battery for my own cars, I've had good luck with them lasting for the time I owned them. :)

I'm not a battery expert, however I can give you a little insight on battery brands. When I was working at my old job I did a lot of work for battery plants. Mainly Johnson Controls in Winston Salem, NC and Gevena, Ill. The plant in NC made Interstate, Optima, Exide, Die Hard, and a couple of other brands.

The Optima is a different type of battery and a very good one. I have one in my Corvette and it's pretty good. All of the others are pretty much the same with a different label on them.

Nothing has CCA and longevity like Diehard Platinum batteries.... nothing!

It took a lot for me to fork out $200.00 for a battery a few years back for my 2005 Screw that was a seasonal ride, but after going thru two Optima Red Top batteries and numerous OTC ones, I bit the bullet and purchased a DieHard Platinum.

I spent just over 10K in mods on that truck and I tell everyone my DieHard Platinum was the best investment of all.

It's the only battery upgrade that I now do.

I'm not a battery expert, however I can give you a little insight on battery brands. When I was working at my old job I did a lot of work for battery plants. Mainly Johnson Controls in Winston Salem, NC and Gevena, Ill. The plant in NC made Interstate, Optima, Exide, Die Hard, and a couple of other brands.

The Optima is a different type of battery and a very good one. I have one in my Corvette and it's pretty good. All of the others are pretty much the same with a different label on them.

Not true.

This is the common misconception.

Almost all automotive batteries sold in Northern America are manufactured by one of the big three: Johnson Controls, Exide, and East Penn. Johnson Control accomodates well over half the market. These manufacturers build automotive batteries per specifications requested by retailers. So just because the manufacturing plant may be the same from B1 to B2, their performance and specifications are [almost] always different.

They are far from all being "pretty much the same with [just] different labels on them."

Nothing has CCA and longevity like Diehard Platinum batteries.... nothing!

It took a lot for me to fork out $200.00 for a battery a few years back for my 2005 Screw that was a seasonal ride, but after going thru two Optima Red Top batteries and numerous OTC ones, I bit the bullet and purchased a DieHard Platinum.

I spent just over 10K in mods on that truck and I tell everyone my DieHard Platinum was the best investment of all.

It's the only battery upgrade that I now do.

Optima batteries are great, but they do not hold up as well in a vehicle that sits or is seldom used. I do not know why, but I sell Batteries at the shop and have found this to be the case. Also the heavier the battery the better (more lead plates) and that is what makes a good battery.

Thanks for all the responses guys! :2thumbs:

Im going to choose between Optima, Interstate, and Die Hard. The reason I was looking for a good CCA # was because of the cold winters we have here. Also my current battery struggles to start in 45 degree weather, figure I need to change her before winter comes!

Battery is going into my 08' CR-V

Die Hard Platinum looks like a great battery but I don't know if I want to go that scale... Looking at the Interstate Mega-Tron 51-R - 2 year free replacement 75 month warranty.

Thanks for all the responses guys! :2thumbs:

Im going to choose between Optima, Interstate, and Die Hard. The reason I was looking for a good CCA # was because of the cold winters we have here. Also my current battery struggles to start in 45 degree weather, figure I need to change her before winter comes!

Battery is going into my 08' CR-V

Die Hard Platinum looks like a great battery but I don't know if I want to go that scale... Looking at the Interstate Mega-Tron 51-R - 2 year free replacement 75 month warranty.

Just a word of caution....

The DieHard Platinum line is the only one I recommend.

The rest of the DieHard line isn't worth the stickers that are printed on them..... I speak from experience.

Good luck in your decision.

Archived