Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wax after MSS?

kmartind4

Question

Is there any benefit to applying Butter Wax or Americana after machine super sealant?

From reading through the forum and watching videos it appears that the general consensus is that SHR and polishing is what generates "shine" and that wax is used as a protection. If this is the case, is it being done for extra protection? I have lined up some cars to detail from family and friends to pay for this new hobby of mine! I have a 70 Chevell SS to do in a few weeks!

New to detailing cars (the right way) and appreciate any input or correction.

25 answers to this question

I follow you in the order of applying the MSS, but after it is applied and then covered with wax would you ever have to reapply the MSS? I am thinking of the wax being the first layer of protection with the MSS being the second. So if you keep the wax applied regularly would ever have to reapply MSS?

The wax and even the sealant are the 'sacrificial' coatings to protect the clear coat and paint. Even with topping the MSS with Americana, the MSS is still deteriorating.

MSS must be applied directly against clean (non waxed) paint, or itself, as in a 2nd coat of MSS.

Wax can be put over MSS, but MSS should not be put over wax. MSS needs to bond with the paint.

If you are layering, MSS must be the first coat and directly against the paint.

Here's what I have done at different times:

MSS alone

MSS + Americana

MSS + Buttery

MSS + BG + Americana

MSS + BG

Notice that the MSS is always applied first against clean paint.

I follow you in the order of applying the MSS, but after it is applied and then covered with wax would you ever have to reapply the MSS? I am thinking of the wax being the first layer of protection with the MSS being the second. So if you keep the wax applied regularly would ever have to reapply MSS?

MSS must be applied directly against clean (non waxed) paint, or itself, as in a 2nd coat of MSS.

Wax can be put over MSS, but MSS should not be put over wax. MSS needs to bond with the paint.

If you are layering, MSS must be the first coat and directly against the paint.

Here's what I have done at different times:

MSS alone

MSS + Americana

MSS + Buttery

MSS + BG + Americana

MSS + BG

Notice that the MSS is always applied first against clean paint.

Comparing apples and oranges.

Sealant vs. Wax

Sealants will tend to be more durable b/c they form a physical bond with the paint and are more tolerant of heat, detergent, uv exposure, etc (on average)

Waxes don't actually bond with the surface, they sit on top. They also are less detergent resistant, heat resistant, and uv resistant.

The 'rule' works when talking sealant vs. sealant or wax vs. wax, but not alway across those lines. An easy to apply/remove wax (buttery) is going to have less durability than a wax that takes a little more effort (americana).

Same will be true with the new spray sealant vs. MSS.

Good answer!:2thumbs:

LOL... the cable guy who came to install my new phone system last week 'details on the side' and while hes hooking everything up tells me he uses a 'crystalized teflon polish' and that it lasts 5 years between applications.

:lol:

Yeah, with touchups now and then... same old story...

LOL... the cable guy who came to install my new phone system last week 'details on the side' and while hes hooking everything up tells me he uses a 'crystalized teflon polish' and that it lasts 5 years between applications.

:lol:

he uses that stuff too! And I though I was the only one:mad: Oh well, I guess i have some competition in the detailing game now ;)

Well it's not indestructible... lol What are they washing it with too? Machine washes will strip it over time just like any wax. It'll last longer, but not forever...

You have to have PTFE in the wax to make it last forever.... lol J/K

Sealant vs. Wax

Sealants will tend to be more durable b/c they form a physical bond with the paint and are more tolerant of heat, detergent, uv exposure, etc (on average)

Waxes don't actually bond with the surface, they sit on top. They also are less detergent resistant, heat resistant, and uv resistant.

The 'rule' works when talking sealant vs. sealant or wax vs. wax, but not alway across those lines. An easy to apply/remove wax (buttery) is going to have less durability than a wax that takes a little more effort (americana).

thanks for the clarifacation buddy! That was where I was confused. So I have been doing this for a while now and still learn something new all the time!

I use MSS on both the honda (daily driver) and the Jeep. The Jeep is in the garage 99% of the time but when it is out that black heats up in this South Florida sun QUICK. and I do mean heats up. my GF got 2nd degree burns when she leaned against the door to give me a kiss once.

which is another reason I can't wait for winter. I need to give both, and her car a complete detailing.

awesome, I have used MSS on every vehicle I polish.... had several customers whom are picky say that the water was not beading up anymore and things of that nature, so a coat of americana and bam, back in the game! I need to do a little testing with MSS then to see if I am not doing it correctly!

so I am wrong in saying the MSS doesn't last as long as americana? Just curious, I am always learning new stuff!

Sealant vs. Wax

so I am wrong in saying the MSS doesn't last as long as americana? Just curious, I am always learning new stuff!

Yes! Sealants are notoriously VERY long lasting. They deal with chemicals and high temps MUCH better than carnuba based waxes.

That's why I always have at least one coat of MSS on before topping. 2-3 is preferred, but mine IS a DD.

MSS is the harder to remove as well... It's all about less is more... Put it on too thick and you'll need a chisel to remove it. :lolsmack:

Depth...

Honestly I love MSS and IMO nothing else is needed. Sure, true wax will add depth, but my G8 and Enclave look pretty wet with just MSS.

One application of mss lasts twice as long as one application of APW. MSS is all I'll use on my DD's. :bow:

Chris

MSW/ MSS is a sealant. It does protect the finish but doesn't offer the protection that Americana does. The best part of MSS is the ease of application, vs the harder (still not bad) Americana.

I was told once by a pro (Dylan) that you can base the Adams product line of wax life by its ease of application. The easier it is to take off, the shorter the life expectancy of the product. With that being said, applying the americana over a fresh coat of MSS is not benifical. You need to wait 12-24 hours to let the MSS "cure" before you apply anything over it. Typically, I do a vehicle and if the customer wants the MSS I will let them know within 3-5 weeks (3-4) washes, they will need another coat of Americana to help keep protected.

Waxing is based on the elements the car is exposed to as well. If a well maintained car sits in the garage and only leaves on sunday, well the method doesn't apply. But if you have a daily driver that sits outside and you want the best protection, you can't go wrong doubling up on your applications. Too much wax on the other hand will cause a hazy finish.

I would say you can't go wrong with MSS, let it cure, then a single coat of Americana or BW but just keep in mind the theory of easy to take off, then it doesn't last as long!

Hope that helps, I tend to ramble....... :)

Archived