Customer Service 866.965.0400

struggling with a tough decision

lawson4450

Well i finally reached the end of my rope with my volunteer fire dept. of which im currently the Chief of. i have been there almost 19.5 years I like my dept and I like the people but im tired of the political BS and second guessing. If im doing firefighting stuff im fine but the political wrangling the non support of the commissioners and just the way we are treated in the district im just sick of it literally. Now that i have my son and a new house the stress is making me physically sick at times and i think its time to get out. I want to finish the year out but the problem I am having is there is noone qualified to be chief in my department as per the district standards. Its almost like i have no choice but to be chief and there is noone behind me to take over. so i feel crappy about leaving them without someone but I have a new baby I dont want to have a heart attack because of this crap. I already have slightly high blood pressure that Im on meds for but I dont need this aggravation, especially since i do it for a living. The emotions are saying one thing but common sense and my body says something else. I hate this crap. I will miss the chiefs car though lol :confused::(

Daniel,

It's a very tough decision to do anything of that nature. I am facing that same thing at my office (but not same career and my tenure is only 15 years) but our health is most important and that is what we (those in this situation) need to prioritize.

I wish you the best of luck in this decision and I hope your health gets better.

God Daniel, that is a tough decision. I would start thinking differently before the stress and continuous worry get the better of you man. You are probably like me, and care a great deal about your guys, so it's definately a tough decision. You have to think about what's REALLY important. I always say, as a leader, which you definately are in a leadership role, our jobs are 1. to provide our subordinates with the tools and skills they need to do the job effectively. and 2. to train and ensure that someone has the skills to replace you one day.

We are all just a tiny bleep in the grand scheme of this little thing called like. Will anyone remember us when we are gone? We hope so. But you need to do what's right for you man. I say, ask yourself what can you control? Train someone up, do your best until they are ready....and move on and enjoy what you have worked so hard to achieve. It's not going to do anyone any good if your burnt out, and trying to recover from being so worn out from the stress.

Put that stress to good use in the meantime....walks/runs/exersise/eat right and get yourself off that medication!

Dave

the biggest problem with training someone to replace me is there is noone there. the district has these SOGs that unless you have the manpower to followup noone is "qualified" to do the job. there are some good people in the department its the other departments in my district that its just out of control. As a career firefighter where money is hard to come by and we have to stretch every dollar. But my volly dept we have way more then enough money and honestly people are spoiled. What really starting making things difficult was when they added a per call payment so this year everyone gets 5 dollars per call so now you get people squabbling over how many calls someone else has instead of worring about themselves. The other companies all know whats best and you know nothing its this arrogance that really has me so put off. I got a new baby to worry about and it always seems like i have to leave and go do something instead of being with him. also i have a house that needs alot of work and i cant seem to get any of it done and thats adding to the frustration.

ok let me preface this by saying I am 21 years old, have no career or family to worry about and I am still in school. That being said I lost my father when I was 18 when he had a heart attack while away on a business trip. This was literally just before i have to leave home and go off to college. Around that that time ill tell you what happened to me, from when i was 18-20 i had 3 friends die (health issues/cancer), 3 other family members besides my father. On top top of that I spent a week in the hospital a month after my father passed because I had Myocarditis and was there for multiple test (i was only 18 years old). Through those times that I have experienced in my life I realized at a very young age that absolutely NOTHING EVER else in life will ever matter more than family. None of my friends quite understand my outlook, it is because my outlook on life is more mature than my 21 years. I know that I know nothing about how you feel about your job personally and how it would hurt the others at your station, but risking your health is no excuse to worry about others, you need to look out for yourself and your family's well-being. I'd do anything to spend another day with my dad, it hurts me every day knowing I wont have him around for my entire life now, but life moves on. I learned that you gotta take care of yourself and i never was a small kid but I am losing weight now cause of everything. I think training someone would be good but i know you cant train years of experience, getting a replacement outside of your station wouldn't be best for everyone else but they will understand in the end if it's for your health. Sorry if I was downer for all of this, but I just feel even at my young age now, nothing is worth your health and well-being.

ok let me preface this by saying I am 21 years old, have no career or family to worry about and I am still in school. That being said I lost my father when I was 18 when he had a heart attack while away on a business trip. This was literally just before i have to leave home and go off to college. Around that that time ill tell you what happened to me, from when i was 18-20 i had 3 friends die (health issues/cancer), 3 other family members besides my father. On top top of that I spent a week in the hospital a month after my father passed because I had Myocarditis and was there for multiple test (i was only 18 years old). Through those times that I have experienced in my life I realized at a very young age that absolutely NOTHING EVER else in life will ever matter more than family. None of my friends quite understand my outlook, it is because my outlook on life is more mature than my 21 years. I know that I know nothing about how you feel about your job personally and how it would hurt the others at your station, but risking your health is no excuse to worry about others, you need to look out for yourself and your family's well-being. I'd do anything to spend another day with my dad, it hurts me every day knowing I wont have him around for my entire life now, but life moves on. I learned that you gotta take care of yourself and i never was a small kid but I am losing weight now cause of everything. I think training someone would be good but i know you cant train years of experience, getting a replacement outside of your station wouldn't be best for everyone else but they will understand in the end if it's for your health. Sorry if I was downer for all of this, but I just feel even at my young age now, nothing is worth your health and well-being.

My dad passed when I was 18 as well, I feel ya brother on everything you just stated.... (Family is #1)

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comP><P><FONT color=black><FONT face=Verdana>--Here is my 2cents--My boss is in the same position, needs to get out but no one is really qualified to do what he can do especially for the money my company pays! My advise is, you will defiantly be the bigger man if you find someone from anywhere that can take over(as a favor to your pals down their) and Move On...Politics will always be around, but you wonhttp://adamsforums.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif" src="file:///C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>Good Luck<o:p></o:p>

Personally I would lift up my current situation with the big man upstairs<o:p></o:p>

!:rolleyes:

Dan, the others have given some great insight, and I feel great to be a part of a community that you would feel comfortable sharing such a major decision/ struggle. Good for the people here, who have created such a comfortable place to share feelings, and good for you to share!

I'm confident of one thing: Your family is #1. Your health needs to be good, better if you ask me, and it sounds like this situation is not improving your health.

Take care of you. Take care of your family. Pray on this decision a bit, and don't delay the decision. If there is an opportunity to let a person know you are considering this change, and that person can begin to find your replacement immediately, that may be a good way to go.

Either way Lawson, remember this: If you die, I'll kill you!;)

Take care of yourself, please. Your family needs you.

Now that i have my son and a new house the stress is making me physically sick at times and i think its time to get out.

Right there is the number 1 reason you NEED to leave that position. Family is all that matters!!

Very well said!!

I agree with all that has been posted. Although, you seem to like what you have been doing for 19+ years. With a new baby at home, your family needs you more than ever. I have a new one as well and right now it is tough!

Here is an alternative suggestion. This may come out wrong but please don't take it badly. My outlook on life is "Work hard, do whats right". I learned that in high school and apply it everyday. But in your situation, loving what you do, why not just kick back and don't let the political stuff get to you? Just go to your job and do your thing.....knowing that you can quit and go home anytime you want to, just stand up when they are running the whole political rant and say..... ya know what, I don't think so. If they don't agree, just say, "I'm not going to undermine you and I expect the same". Soon enough they will see that their politics have no affect on you.... and worst case they say, "We are going to replace you". Its a win win, but you have to step back and realize, its not worth getting bent out of shape about.

I wish you all the best and hope that it works out for you either way! Go home and pray about it and talk to your family and see what they think, or how they would handle it. Make an informed decision, because if you weigh your options, then you will make the right decision.

thanks guys and Its kinda of hard to share all the issues on here and I have prayed about it trust me. I have been training people but the problem is the rules say you have to have so many years of this position and so many years of that and certain classes and the problem is people dont have these classes and sure as heck dont want my position. No one wants it and on top of this its volunteer its not even a payed job OI lol

big struggle with yourself to be ethical and do what people think you should do, or go home and be with your family. The decision is obvious to us outsiders then :) Now you just need to think of the most awesome way to tell them "see yaaaaa, wouldn't wanna be ya"! haha, sorry I enjoy humor, either way good luck and know that everything is already planned, just go which ever way your heart tells ya to!

Dan, Have you talked to the fire department to voice your concerns?

Like the others have said, its not worth your health, but I also understand being consensus that you don't want to leave them hanging.

Maybe its time for some new rules and regulations!

Continue to Pray about it and I hope that you can come to a decision soon!

I can say I feel your stress as being in a police officer. Times can be tough and very stressful. Things from work spill over from work to your personal life which causes problems there as well. If my job got to the point it affected my health and family well I would probably walk away just as you are wanting to do here. Good Luck to you buddy and Im sure everyone here has your back in whatever you decide.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Hi Dan-

I have been in jobs like that, where you get sick, and/or burn out. They are brutal, and usually thankless from the mgmt. side. For the record, I am single, no kids, so me living like that for a while was totally on me - it did not have repercussions to a wife or kids.

You need to be healthy for your wife and kids - they are #1, all the rest is junk. This job is NOT helping you in that department.

Time to work for someone else as soon as possible. Forget finding your replacement, that is baloney, not your job. Start looking for your next gig. They will have to find your replacement.

While you are looking, do what you can to take care of yourself, as someone said above. Don't take the job seriously, don't get sucked in by the political crud, take that vacation time now.

There is a ton of advice here. Everyone cares.

Here are my thoughts.

Family comes first.

Try to find a way to rid yourself of the stress if you can. In the event that does not work, think of your baby and make the best decision you can. Don't take this wrong please but life will go on without you as their chief.

Think about some of the above posts and do not let your job be the cause of your baby growing up without DAD!

Just some of my thoughts.

Good luck friend.

Dan....All I can say is alot of advice has been given here but the thing is you need to make your decision on what to do. My opinion is that you have made it but have not decided on how to go about doing it. You have many irons in the fire (work, home, and fire department).

I'm a volly FF and a paid EMT down in Delaware... So I understand the commitment you feel to the department and community, and being a volunteer I REALLY understand how bad the politics and attitudes can be.

But, your health and family have to come first. The department will find somebody to fill the chief position, I've never seen a department without a chief. :)

Dan, just remember that it's just a job. You care about it, and the people, and the responsibility, sure... but it's just a job. If you left it someone will fill in the spot and it would continue to run. Probably not as well, but it will go on. That said, try to keep things in perspective. Family and health first, then everything else 3rd, 4th, 5th, whatever. If you want to stay on do so... show up, do an honest day's work, then go home and enjoy what you have in family and friends. Don't let the work get to you, and don't bring it home with you. And if the job is really that bad, don't worry -- you're a smart, hard-working, friendly guy; you'll always be able to find something else. :cheers:

Rich

Thank you all for caring realize this it isnt my paid fire dept im stressing with i enjoy what i do I get to help people all the time. This is my volly position I get a 4K stipend before taxes for what I do. I love work and right now being a fire prevention inspector i know the things I do affect people every day. I have also been trying to change the rules but its been uphill both ways in the snow barefoot. the last time I felt like this is when I was working at delco battery so your right my mind is made up but I will finish out the year and then be gone they can have it. although I will miss the truck I get to drive around lol saves on gas.

Archived