Customer Service 866.965.0400

Motorcycle Engine Cleaning

DP 08 GXP

Question

got a guy bringing over his bike here in a little bit and was wondering what people have done when it comes to cleaning the engine on a motorcycle? i was thinking APC with the lug brush and wash it off with as little water as possible...anything i shouldnt get wet on it?

Here is what it looks like

264587_234811459879839_100000529610981_875320_7815404_n.jpg

10 answers to this question

Don't worry about the water, I have had five different bikes and have never once had a water issue. Do a good pre rinse and then AP with the lug brush like you said on the real dirty spots. I use 50/50, and then <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:place w:st=Adams</st1:place> shampoo for the rest of the bike! Having something to blow all the water out really helps though on a bike

.:)

thanks for the info...i got the metrovac sidekick so i should be good to go....i got the paint clayed and hand polished and cleaned and conditioned the leather bags so im saving the engine and chrome polishing for tomorrow and man does she have a lot....the front was caked with bugs real bad too...ill post pics tomorrow after its all done

Bikes are made to handle the rain and water but since it is a Harley that might be another story. Some Adams car was soap and a hose will do it wonders and not hurt anything on most bikes but since it is a Harley you never know.

As you can tell I am no fan of what they call a motorcycle and old technology and a rattle machine just be careful not to spray water around the heads and intake.

Just my $25.01 dollars and cents worth.

I have done my fair share of motorcycle details... The best way to tackle a dirty/ grease filled motor is to rinse down the engine with a hose (once cool to the touch), and then spray it down with full strength APC. By rinsing the engine first and then spraying down with ACP you will actually be diluting it. Once sprayed down with APC, let it sit for 5 mins and then follow up with a good knock down with the lug nut brush. Once satisfied with the knock down with the lug nut brush, I would hit it again with a lite mist of APC again and rinse with the hose. You will be shocked at how fast and clean this method will clean up the motor!!! good luck and post pictures!

The Road King (in the picture) has powder coated and chromed surfaces and no polished aluminum. Any cleaner safe on these surfaces ought to be fine on the Harley. If you want to be extra cautious, you could use a product called S100. The engine is completely sealed with the exception of the air intake for the fuel injection. You would really have to try to get water into the intake.

Archived