Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay Bar .....

Grubrunner

Question

Settle a [friendly] bet for me, please.

Considering all things are as close to equal as possible [we're speaking quality, high-end of the scale products here]: Because it's patented, Brand A clay bar is no different than Brand B clay bar.

Yes or no... ?

14 answers to this question

No real difference among brands, HOWEVER, there are 2 or 3 varying levels of "abrasiveness" or "stickiness" depending on how you want to classify it. For the layman, it's basically detailing clay, and body shop clay. Not sure that settles your bet, but hope it helps.

- Darryl

We have had people on the forum try and use other clays (OTC yellow cough) and have had weird results (clay sticking to the finish, not working well) and have ended up using Adams clay to clean up the areas where other clay was used.

I used some "yellow" clay prior to Adam's and it was waaaay too soft. Even with moderate pressure, I would feel like I was pushing through it or it was going to squish through my fingers. I had to constantly reshape it.

No such problem with Adam's! Perfect consistency. Also, for comparison, the other bar was only 80g

I have used the woman married to Dad's clay and also the garage guy in Tacoma's clay. IMHO they are too soft and sticky. I had to wear neoprene gloves to keep it from sticking to my skin. Barry's clay was decent, just not enough in the box. Adam's bar is big in comparison and the storage container sure beats the others idea of storage.

I have clayed two times in my life. At the beginning of the summer with the yellow thing - my fingers kept pushing through it and the yellow left little chunks all over in cracks and the yellow really stands out compared to the grey. I then clayed not two weeks ago and it was amazing.... aside from my dropping a third of the bar after only doing 1 section... FML

Guest Gone & Forgotten

There are multiple grades of clay (soft to hard), there are varied qualities of clay - the $9.99 bar on Amazon for over 200 grams is not the quality that the 200g bar from Adam's is.

They all do the same task, some better than others. The trick is using the right bar for the right job. Harder clay should be for glass or wheels... soft, medium clay for your paint. Too soft is not good for highly oxidized paint or paint that sound like 80 grit sandpaper when doing the baggy test.

That patent ends soon. Google it.

I have tried other clays in a pinch (i.e., to lazy to drive to the Adam's warehouse). I have had similar results as the other members. I have found that Adam's clay doesn't fall apart like the other brands. One brand fell apart in my hand and stuck to everything regardless of the lubricant used. Personally, I think the main difference is in quality.

The first clay I used (before discovering Adam's) was the yellow bar... I still have one of those yellow ones that I use on other items around the house (last weekend I cleaned a bathtub with that yellow bar). On the cars I only use Adam's now. Though the patent exists, it seems to me (IMHO) that there is some small differences in the bars and how they feel to the skin.

Luv the large Adam's bar and the airtight container. The other brands have small bars that they expect you to use once and toss.

Archived