Customer Service 866.965.0400

First PC detail coming up, need Suggestions!

04bluesilverado

Question

So ive been reading this forum for months now and i've been wanting to detail my truck since i got it last year. I've been reading and seeing the amazing things adams polishes can do so I finally pulled the trigger and have placed 3 orders so far. Its very hard not to order the daily special daily. My birthday is coming up in the middle of november and I have 8 days off so i'm going to take the time to give my truck the attention it needs. My brother already has a Porter Cable so my g/f is going to get me the p/c accessory kit. I ordered the buttery wax daily special as well as the APC daily special last week. I also ordered the SVRT and APC Combo. Before I start this I'm going to pick up a gallon refill of the detail spray and the glass cleaner/sealer. I would love to have everything in the Adams collection but my bank account wont allow it. Since I have about a month to get everything ready, I wanted to let you guys know what my plan was and I wanted your guys input and suggestions. I am also going to be watching the adams videos again as this project gets closer.

Revised Plan

1. Spray the wheel wells and wheels down with APC.

2. Wash truck with dawn

3. Clay bar with detail spray, windows included

4. Alcohol Wipedown

5. Swirl and Haze remover

6. Fine machine polish

7. Machine superwax

8. Apply buttery wax 24hrs later

9. If the clay bar doesn't remove the water spots on my windows then ill try swirl and haze remover. Then clean and seal.

Of course I know this thread is worthless without pictures :lolsmack:

GEDC2878.jpg

GEDC28792.jpg

I have a few questions about using the P/C on the front end. The chrome bumper is metal so I'm assuming i need the metal polish? Also the chrome strip that goes across the front is plastic so can I treat it like paint?

GEDC28812.jpg

Also on the headlights and tailights, can I use fine mashine polish and superwax on them?

GEDC28822.jpg

GEDC28802.jpg

Let me know what you guys think and any suggestions you have. After I learn what I'm doing with my truck I want to clean up my g/f's 2011 Nitro.

IMG00275-20110924-1356.jpg

She won't let me learn on it. I can't understand why. :lol:

Personally, I use the IPA wipedown before I clay to make sure I have all the wax off the car that the dawn didn't get. This way I know the clay is picking up contamination directly from the clear coat. And I'm not gumming up the clay with old wax or sealant. That clay is not cheap!

I agree with Craig,

Just finished up, I ran out of sun light. I will have pictures up shortly!

Ouarkie don't worry, after i bought that frogtape i read that thread and i used blue painters tape instead.

FYI that Frog Tape is awesome for painting in the house, so don't waste it!!!

These crappy pics are from my blackberry but I think my normal camera is even worse. Sorry some pics are so big, I'm to lazy to resize them, I'm worn out lol.

I don't have any pics of this part but it started off with a two bucket strip wash, using APC and Adams car wash. After i did the first rinse by the time I grabbed the mitt out of the warm water soap bucket, I was melting ice and frost off of the truck. Next I did an IPA wipedown to make sure I removed all of the old wax. That was followed up by using the clay bar and detail spray.

A little bit dirty?

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMDYtMjAxMTExMTktMDkwMC5qcGc.jpg

Another IPA wipedown before I busted out the PC and she was already looking better.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMDgtMjAxMTExMTktMTA1NS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMDctMjAxMTExMTktMTA1NC5qcGc.jpg

All taped up and ready for some PC love!

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTQtMjAxMTExMTktMTIwNi5qcGc.jpg

Can you tell which side was hit with the PC? Its hard to tell with my ****ty camera but what the hell, take a guess.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTAtMjAxMTExMTktMTEzOS5qcGc.jpg

The answer is the right side.

It took a little while to get used to using the PC since this is the first time i've ever used it. After I did the tailgate I looked at the pad and saw this...

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTEtMjAxMTExMTktMTE0NC5qcGc.jpg

The outside was more worn down than the middle. I thought I might have been using too much pressure but I'm not sure. Let me know what you guys think.

Tailgate done.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTItMjAxMTExMTktMTE1Mi5qcGc.jpg

I decided that I would do just swirl and haze remover followed by fine machine polish. It didn't seem to need SSHR. So I went over the rest of the truck with SHR and then FMP.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTgtMjAxMTExMTktMTYwMC5qcGc.jpg

Then I went over the truck with MSW . I went with the method of a little goes a long way with this. I've read the story of people not being about to get this stuff off so i applied just a thin layer. It came off very easy.

Also I didn't wipe it down with IPA before MSW, I got lazy.

I hit all of the windows with SHR and FMP to get rid of those tough water spots.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTYtMjAxMTExMTktMTU1MC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMjQtMjAxMTExMTktMTYyNS5qcGc.jpg

It started to get dark but I think I might have to try SSHR on some of the windows.

I hit the front and back metal bumpers with FMP.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTktMjAxMTExMTktMTYxMC5qcGc.jpg

And now to some finished pictures.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMjItMjAxMTExMTktMTYyNC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMjMtMjAxMTExMTktMTYyNC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMjAtMjAxMTExMTktMTYxNS5qcGc.jpg

You can see the Nitro in the reflection begging for some love.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMjEtMjAxMTExMTktMTYyNC5qcGc.jpg

This is the reflection in the driver side extended cab window. Not to shabby.

I hit all of the black plastic and tires with SVRT. That stuff is awesome!!!

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMjYtMjAxMTExMTktMTY0MS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMjgtMjAxMTExMTktMTcwNy5qcGc.jpg

I was lucky enough to find another use for painters tape.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMjktMjAxMTExMTktMTcwOC5qcGc.jpg

Do your guys pads normally look this dirty by the time your done?

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMzAtMjAxMTExMTktMTcwOC5qcGc.jpg

Now all cleaned up with APC. That stuff is amazing!

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMzEtMjAxMTExMTktMTcxNS5qcGc.jpg

Now its time to dig back into this...

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMDQtMjAxMTExMTctMjIzNi5qcGc.jpg

Tomorrow I am going to wipe it down with DS and then put some brillant glaze on it and cover it with buttery wax. One day when my bank account allows Ill pick up the americana wax. Also i need to clean and seal all of the glass.

Thank you everyone for all of your help and Thank you Adams for your awesome products!!! Maybe one day I'll get a better camera. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

Also I didn't really realize that some people do two or three passes (worked until flashed each pass) of SHR and FMP. I just did one pass of each. Next time I will do atleast two of each to really clean it up. I was fighting the sunlight today so next time i might have to break it up into a two day detail.

Also I didn't really realize that some people do two or three passes (worked until flashed each pass) of SHR and FMP. I just did one pass of each. Next time I will do atleast two of each to really clean it up. I was fighting the sunlight today so next time i might have to break it up into a two day detail.

Next time it won't be as bad, so it should go faster!

I like to wash in the evening, then pull it in the garage to clay. Get up the next morning and do a quick wipe down and start polishing.

So yesterday I went up to my moms house and picked up my brother's PC. Earlier today my G/F ordered the PC accessory kit for me for my B-Day coming up. And I just got home from work and I ordered the daily special of MF towels and I decided to add some brillant glaze and a hex applicator to the mix. I think I have pretty much everything I need for my first detail. Although after reading around, I have another question for you guys. Do i wipe the car down with the IPA solution after I clay before I start with SHR? Or do i wipe the car down with the IPA solution after I do the FMP but before I put on the MSW? Or Both?

Personally, I use the IPA wipedown before I clay to make sure I have all the wax off the car that the dawn didn't get. This way I know the clay is picking up contamination directly from the clear coat. And I'm not gumming up the clay with old wax or sealant. That clay is not cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heres a few pictures from today. First I wiped it down with DS. I went over the entire truck with BG and then put a coat of buttery wax on top. I cleaned the windows and noticed some water marks are still there. I put BG and buttery wax on the wheels, I'm pretty sure they are clear coated. I did another coat of SVRT to keep it looking good. I'm going to my brothers house later and I want to make sure I have the cleaner silverado so I can convince him to start buying some REAL detailing products. :drool: He has an black 06 silverado Vmax edition that deserves some Adams love. I am also giving him an Adams magazine and DVD to show him the awesome products and support.

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMzQtMjAxMTExMjAtMTIwMi5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMzUtMjAxMTExMjAtMTIwMi5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMzYtMjAxMTExMjAtMTIwMi5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMzctMjAxMTExMjAtMTIwMi5qcGc.jpg

Now its finally time to go show this thing off!! :burnout:

Question for mc2hill

You said wash in evening - pull in garage and clay - get up early next morn - do a quick wipe down then start polishing. From most that I have read, they recommend anouther 2 bucket wash after claying. I am new at this and about to take the Adam's plunge but would like your feedback on "wipedown vs wash" after the claying process.

Question for mc2hill

You said wash in evening - pull in garage and clay - get up early next morn - do a quick wipe down then start polishing. From most that I have read, they recommend anouther 2 bucket wash after claying. I am new at this and about to take the Adam's plunge but would like your feedback on "wipedown vs wash" after the claying process.

Your choice Taz.

Some wash the car and leave it wet while they start claying. Our humidity does not allow me to use that process. I wipe off the clay residue while I am claying, so there is nothing that needs to be cleaned with shampoo. I just wipe it down before polishing the next morning in case dust or cat hair has settled.

mc2hill

Humidiy is high here as well, so I may use your method to save that extra wash step. What are you using to wipe the claying process off with?

:cheers:

What ever Adam's MF towel is on top of the stack (old blue, or single or double soft). Maybe a little DS if it doesn't wipe off easily.

"I went with the method of a little goes a long way with this. I've read the story of people not being about to get this stuff off so i applied just a thin layer. It came off very easy.

Also I didn't wipe it down with IPA before Machine Super Wax, I got lazy."

I never did an IPA wipedown (until recently) after polishing, and the MSS lasted a long time, and it looked great to me, no hazing or anything negative. No worries! I tried the IPA wipedown on a couple of panels as a test, we shall see...

Today it finally stopped raining so I wiped it down with DS. Then cleaned the windows with GC and sealed them for the first time. I'm very curious to see how the glass sealant works. I wish i had some waterless wash to use instead of DS but I might wait until after christmas to pick some up.

Archived