Customer Service 866.965.0400

Rubber around windows and doors

LFairbanks

Question

Hello Everybody.

New to the Forum here, but have been using Adams Products for several years now. The first question I have is how does everybody keep the rubber around the windshield and doors clean? Do you just wipe it all down while drying? I thought about using APC, but haven't tried it yet. I notice when I clay and bump the rubber with the clay bar it goes black. I had this issue with a couple of older vehicles that I have gotten rid of. Both my vehicles are fairly new and am trying to avoid this becoming an issue.

The other question I have is when I started using Adams Products the clay bar was "yellow" and it worked really well. The ones I have currently are purple and I don't care for them as much as the yellow ones he had prior. It looks as though the new bars are "gray" in color. And it seems as though there was a blue one at one point. The yellow bars were quite pliable as opposed to the purple ones I have. Are the gray bars better than the purple ones I have and comparable to the yellow bars he had previously?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

11 answers to this question

I think black rubber has a bit of carbon in it, so if you get the claybar against it, you will get a little black color off from it.

BUT - to keep it nice, the APC @1/1 with water to clean, then SVRT to keep it really nice and black. I use SVRT on my window surrounds and door gaskets, and they look great.

:welcomebanner:

Hello Everybody.

New to the Forum here, but have been using Adams Products for several years now. The first question I have is how does everybody keep the rubber around the windshield and doors clean? Do you just wipe it all down while drying? I thought about using APC, but haven't tried it yet. I notice when I clay and bump the rubber with the clay bar it goes black. I had this issue with a couple of older vehicles that I have gotten rid of. Both my vehicles are fairly new and am trying to avoid this becoming an issue.

Rubber oxidizes and 'dies' so pretty much anything you rub on it (clay, a towel, foam pad, etc) will pick up some of this transfer as the rubber ages. You can knock down some/most of it with the method suggested by the others 1:1 APC cleaning, follow up by dressing with SVRT. Its just part of dealing with rubber trim... perfectly normal.

The other question I have is when I started using Adams Products the clay bar was "yellow" and it worked really well. The ones I have currently are purple and I don't care for them as much as the yellow ones he had prior. It looks as though the new bars are "gray" in color. And it seems as though there was a blue one at one point. The yellow bars were quite pliable as opposed to the purple ones I have. Are the gray bars better than the purple ones I have and comparable to the yellow bars he had previously?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Clay is a funny thing in this business. For years now there has been a patent in the US held by Automagic (now part of a larger corporation) that basically only allows for their clay to be sold in the US. Doesn't matter who you buy from domestically, if its automotive clay, it came from them. The only variations we have to play with are color, grade, and size... over the past 2+ years they've changed bars unannounced, discontinued bars, etc. The gray is probably my favorite of the clays we've had from them... there was a short lived blue bar that wasn't too bad either.

We're somewhat at their mercy until the patent expires.

It was supposed to come to an end this year, but now rumblings are that due to some legal maneuvering they've secured it for another full year and we won't be able to break out and do our own clay until 2013... stay tuned.

Archived