Customer Service 866.965.0400

Pizza delivery

Adamized

What's up!?

I'm 16 about to be 17 and looking fir a job.

I've applied to be a busboy at local places near me and they all want me to be 17 :confused:

Anyways is being a pizza delivery dude a good job for a teen? My parents would probably buy a complete beater for me haha! 4cyl all day :burnout:

I live in a good area in MA but was thinking of carrying police strength pepper spray "dad is a police officer" I can only work on weekends by the way

Any tips?

Anything at that age bro.

I pushed carts at a grocery store for 5.50 an hour 40 hours a week during the summer, 20 hours during the school week until I was 16.

Then I got a job in a hardware store, bounced around to warehouses loading trucks during the holidays for a few years.

Just work hard, study hard, and it'll all be over sooner than later.

If you start delivering pizza do one of two things:

1. Get a commercial auto policy for your car. You are actually not covered on a personal policy. (this is the proper method)

or

2. If you are ever in an accident , NEVER say "I was delivering this pizza...":burnout:

I see you are in Boston, so I don't know what the 'neighborhood' is like around you.

In the spring and summer, mowing yards can be good money. Landscape companies charge about $150/month per yard for a mow, edge, blower. That doesn't include the fertilizer and such.

You can easily undercut that and give more specialized service. If you do a nice job in a subdivision, getting positive word of mouth business isn't difficult.

I delivered pizza in my vw bug when I was 17 (a long time ago). Went in at 5pm, the owner would give $20 for making change. There was a delivery charge ($1.50 for the first two miles and .50 for each addition mile.. again this was back in the late 70's.) which I got to keep. I made out like bandit at the local college.... college kids are lously tippers, but since you make multiple deliveries it works out pretty good with just the delivery charge. On a busy Friday or Saturday night you'll make a good buck on tips alone. Dark rainy/foggy nights were the worst... because you could see house numbers. Wish they had GPS and cell phones back when I was delivering. My experince was postive, so I say go for it. Any job when your in high school ain't bad.

I started working at a local gas station at 13. At 16 I was changing oil & fixing tires at a local trucking co. I've been working ever since. When my daughter was 17, she came home & announced she had taken a job at a local pizza place. It turned out she was delivering pizza, being a young woman, I was concerned for her safety. She was great at it & made good tips & eventually became a manager until finishing college. Delivering pizza could be a good work experience for you.

I'm of the opinion that ANY job is a good job for a 16/17 year old. Just show up reliably, do a good job, don't complain, and build a good work ethic. Once you do that, success will follow -- in pretty much anything you decide to pursue. :thumbsup:

:iagree: x 10000000000000

All the most successful people I know started out doing something 'not so sexy' as a first job. I started out working part time after school at an Arby's. It helped teach me the value of $$$ plus instilled a work ethic that my friends whos parents didn't make them work never seemed to get.

If nothing else it serves as excellent motivation... after a few months of doing a job like that you'll have a whole other level of drive to do something with yourself so you don't end up stuck in a job like that forever. Kind of like an occupational 'scared straight' program. :jester:

:iagree: x 10000000000000

All the most successful people I know started out doing something 'not so sexy' as a first job. I started out working part time after school at an Arby's. It helped teach me the value of $$$ plus instilled a work ethic that my friends whos parents didn't make them work never seemed to get.

If nothing else it serves as excellent motivation... after a few months of doing a job like that you'll have a whole other level of drive to do something with yourself so you don't end up stuck in a job like that forever. Kind of like an occupational 'scared straight' program. :jester:

Does this look like cheese pizza to you? DOES IT? :banned:

:help:

I started working at the local super market for $1.20 an hour. This was in 1960 and was in high school. Attended community collage and worked at super markets and gas stations part time and full time in the summer. I always had a good work ethic just do as the boss instructs and do it with a smile on your face. In time things will fall in place. Best of luck.

I knew a guy that made awesome money at delivering pizza. Go for it, Carry mace and you will be fine. GPS i imagine is a must have.

Insurance does not cover pizza delivery though. Make sure you get a commercial auto policy.

If you do go without xmercial then make sure if you get in an accident they dont find out you were delivering pizza...That means make sure its not filed in the police report.

Lawn care is another good business to try and get a job at or even try and start your self. When I was 11 i started a lawncare business, got to busy sold my accounts to someone for $500 (got truely ripped but when your 13 $500 sounds like ALOT of money) started a custom computer business when i was 14 ended at 16 when i got a job as a bus boy, that lasted for a couple months. Got a job at Sears in the electronic department when i was 17 and made some amazing money for being my age (i would average 14-16/hour and during the holidays made 18-22/hour) base plus commission. then when I was 18 started my own AV company left sears when I was 19 full time on my business. Economy took a dump, went to detail cars at a car wash :eek: then they went out of business and went to work as a waiter at PF Changs left there when i was 20 and have been full time on my own for 2 years doing AV systems.

Good luck, also think outside the box when trying to find a job at your age

Thanks for the tips guys!

My parents are really pushing for me to get a job, I already have one though sorta,

Monday-Friday I wake up at 5 got to school, swim practice until 4:30 get home around 6 then homework till 10 and start the process over again, so I'm only free on weekends.

I started at 16 working for my grandfather at his machine shop. Being the boss's grandson didn't make anything easy on me, or did I want that. I cleaned that place top to bottom. Machine shops are a messy place. Plus factor in how we also did hard chrome plating and plasma-flame spraying it was REAL bad! I left there looking like a coal miner some days. Plus I did forklift driving, repair work and shipping and receiving for a bit. I worked much harder than all of my friends that had jobs, but I know I am better for it. As it has been mentioned, any job you take early on will set you up for better success in the future!

I delivered newspapers in jr high and high school. I did the morning paper since I played sports. I also worked at my dads garage since I was big enough to hold a wrench :). I use to hate summer vacation! My dad was old school work from sun up to sun down. I hated it as a kid but looking back I would not have changed it. Good luck and remember nothing is free you must work for what you want.

Sent from the iPhone 4S

I agree with what Rich and Dylan had already said.

I am not sure if some would call it a first job but I was raised on a very large farm and started working when I was a kid. One of the first job I remember was mixing the feed for the horses and feeding them. My grandparents / parents both taught me that hard work always paid off in the long term (not short term).

It does not matter what your first job is. Remember this it is a learning experience (if you truly understand and look at it right).

Good info guys, was really only looking at the short term benefits of a job, kinda forgot the longterm good effects.

I've worked a White Collar job last past summer at my uncle's business in his quality control, then the summer of 2011 I was pumping concrete with my other uncle, that was probably the hardest thing i've ever done

Archived