Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adam's Bug, Tar and Road Grime Remover...

Grubrunner

Question

With my company car or even the family car on vacation an extra coat of wax isn't always enough. With the company car, logging near 1,000 miles in a week and putting in long hours doesn't leave time to hose the nose off. This car can sometimes go four week between washes and things can be stuck on pretty good. With the reality of a wife, kids, home, lawn, work, friends, other hobbies, etc I can usually only wash one car per weekend.

Couple things Adam's already has that works:

Bugs: try to soften them by hosing them pre-wash with WCW and wipe their remains, after being washed with a mit, with a small microfiber wash mit (non-Adam's).

Hot water applied to them will dissolve your wax just as any harsh chemicals/cleaners.

Remaining bugs, or tar: Revive Polish and/or the solvent in Brilliant glaze does a good job: remember to re-wax. I've also found a non Adam's cleaner wax that does a pretty good job as does Goo-Gone, Kerosene or WD-40: again re-wax required with the last three.

I would recommend Quick Sealant, Brilliant Glaze and Americana Paste Wax for preventative medicine. Machine Super Sealant would be good, but right now I've been using the Quick Sealant. I'd give the nose of the car and maybe the windshield x2 coats of QS and then add the Brilliant Glaze (really for the shine) and Americana for the last layer of protection. Then once you get bugs and grime on your car, wash them off with something like the fire hose nozzle or a high pressure hose at a car wash.

I am in an area where bugs are crazy during the summer and fall. As with my schedule I do not have the time to wash it everyday. I to would like to see this. Also my car is a DD and outdoors. Does not have to be something you rub in just something that helps get them off. Yes all purpose cleaner works, I just see that at being very harsh on the paint.

For someone like you, I would tell them to keep wax on the front of the car and just hit it with the high pressure hose as soon as you get home. You don't have to wash the car, just rinse off the nose. If I am going to take a trip through someplace like the backwoods of Indiana at night, I slap a extra coat of wax on the nose. I also protect the windshield too.

I am in an area where bugs are crazy during the summer and fall. As with my schedule I do not have the time to wash it everyday. I to would like to see this. Also my car is a DD and outdoors. Does not have to be something you rub in just something that helps get them off. Yes all purpose cleaner works, I just see that at being very harsh on the paint.

The neighbors think I'm off as I use a foam gun, use a blower to dry the car and spend many hours detailing to as near perfection as I can get. Then repeat as needed. :banana::willy:

What cracks me up is when I'm using the Turbo Stick - neighbors "want" to come on over and see what I'm doing but just can't bring themselves to step into my yard. Turbo Stick - Adam's detail cart, fire nozzle - it's things they have never seen before and really don't want to get to close to me/them. :help:

My neighbors gave up on me a long time ago. :lol: I started out using these two methods on my motorcycles and graduated up to my vehicles.

If you try this, if you don't mind, post your results. Tks!

The neighbors think I'm off as I use a foam gun, use a blower to dry the car and spend many hours detailing to as near perfection as I can get. Then repeat as needed. :banana::willy:

Thanks, I will try this hot towel method...even if it sounds like a spa treatment for the car...what will the neighbors think now?!?! :lolsmack:

The WD40 does work well for the tar, have used that before, but haven't used it recently. May have to break that out again and compare that to what I currently use. Thanks!! :cheers:

My neighbors gave up on me a long time ago. :lol: I started out using these two methods on my motorcycles and graduated up to my vehicles.

If you try this, if you don't mind, post your results. Tks!

"Very HOT water" - take any towel except a MF, get it soaking wet and lay it over the areas where there are bug and bug guts and dried bugs. Been doing it for years. Just make sure you "do not" rub the towel against the paint. Once the towel is cool, check to see if the bugs are coming off. If not, repeat the process. It will work.

As for road tar. Been using this method also for years and that is taking a towel, spray a small amount of WD-40 on a corner of it and "gently" press it into the tar. Let it sit for a few minutes. The trick is to ensure you have the area completely soaked. Then, taking an old MF towel, gently start peeling away at the top layer of it. Continue doing this until you are just about down to the paint. Spray more of the WD-40 on the towel and again, gently rub. NO, it will not hurt the paint or clear coat. Something you do not want to rush while doing though. Use gentle pressure!

Thanks, I will try this hot towel method...even if it sounds like a spa treatment for the car...what will the neighbors think now?!?! :lolsmack:

The WD40 does work well for the tar, have used that before, but haven't used it recently. May have to break that out again and compare that to what I currently use. Thanks!! :cheers:

I agree with prevention being the best medicine, however there are times when bugs aren't taken care of as soon as optimal. In these cases having a product that helps to soften the bug guts or dissolve the tar is the next best solution. You don't have to scrub the bugs/tar off when properly softened, you can then use a high pressure hose to remove them and as a result the paint isn't scratched.

Clay can be used but like you said should NOT be used until the bug guts/shell is already removed. This removal step is where the use of a stronger dissolving solution can be used.

This may not be what you do but I see this as a valid need. I use this type of product not on my cars but when doing other's cars that are needing lots of work and I don't want to create any more damage.

:cheers:

"Very HOT water" - take any towel except a MF, get it soaking wet and lay it over the areas where there are bug and bug guts and dried bugs. Been doing it for years. Just make sure you "do not" rub the towel against the paint. Once the towel is cool, check to see if the bugs are coming off. If not, repeat the process. It will work.

As for road tar. Been using this method also for years and that is taking a towel, spray a small amount of WD-40 on a corner of it and "gently" press it into the tar. Let it sit for a few minutes. The trick is to ensure you have the area completely soaked. Then, taking an old MF towel, gently start peeling away at the top layer of it. Continue doing this until you are just about down to the paint. Spray more of the WD-40 on the towel and again, gently rub. NO, it will not hurt the paint or clear coat. Something you do not want to rush while doing though. Use gentle pressure!

That's why prevention is the best medicine. Don't put yourself in a situation where you have to use those types of products on your paint. I use wax to prevent bug guts from being an issue.

Prevention. It works. No need for me to give my money to another manufacturer for a gimmick type product.

I agree with prevention being the best medicine, however there are times when bugs aren't taken care of as soon as optimal. In these cases having a product that helps to soften the bug guts or dissolve the tar is the next best solution. You don't have to scrub the bugs/tar off when properly softened, you can then use a high pressure hose to remove them and as a result the paint isn't scratched.

Clay can be used but like you said should NOT be used until the bug guts/shell is already removed. This removal step is where the use of a stronger dissolving solution can be used.

This may not be what you do but I see this as a valid need. I use this type of product not on my cars but when doing other's cars that are needing lots of work and I don't want to create any more damage.

:cheers:

Maybe he doesn't have both the MSS and Americana.

Maybe he's looking for a bottle of spray to save some dollars

He doesn't have to have both, either wax will protect the paint. He can layer either one and get double the protection. As I say in my videos, it's not rocket science, it's common sense.

Junkman... while I agree with everything you say. There are people who don't wash their car as religiously as you do. Adam's is a premium care product for enthusiasts but I'm sure there are people on here that are using competitor's brand just because Adam's doesn't have it besides the OP.

No need to preach to the choir

No one is preaching, I'm teaching. The OP has everything that he needs already. I'm trying to save him some money.

Junkman... while I agree with everything you say. There are people who don't wash their car as religiously as you do. Adam's is a premium care product for enthusiasts but I'm sure there are people on here that are using competitor's brand just because Adam's doesn't have it besides the OP.

No need to preach to the choir

That's why prevention is the best medicine. Don't put yourself in a situation where you have to use those types of products on your paint. I use wax to prevent bug guts from being an issue. Nothing fancy, just what I already have. How well does it work?

Before:

bugjuice.jpg

After:

number_2ed.jpg

Prevention. It works. No need for me to give my money to another manufacturer for a gimmick type product.

The two Adam's products people are using as a dedicated bug-n-tar remover are substitutes at best.

APC is a darn fine product, and does a hell of a job removing bugs, tar, road sap, grime and pretty much everything else that shouldn't be on your ride..... but it also strips any wax or sealant you may have. It's not clearcoat safe, per se, so using it to quickly remove unwanted natural road blemishes on my ride without removing the protectant, just doesn't sit well with me. It's not the products fault, it's just the nature of the beast.

WW is the best of its kind.... period! While it will remove bugs and their cronies eight times out of ten, those two isolated incidents are tedious..... and I've found it does next to nothing for baked on road grime and the like. Again, it's not the products fault as, if you're using it for that, it's being used beyond its limitations.

I have a dedicated bug, tar and road grime remover that's clearcoat safe from another reputable company but I got to thinking this morning while giving my Tahoe a wipedown after a trip to VA Beach... "Why am I giving my money to company X when nine out of ten of my detailing products are Adam's?"

You don't have to agree with me, just thinking out loud....

I absolutely wouldn't. That product basically requires you to grind bug shells and bits INTO your paint, creating some crappy looking paint damage. If you are using that stuff, I would love to put the light test on your paint.

Adam's already has products available to deal with that stuff. First off, you need to remove the offending bugs BEFORE they have an opportunity to do damage to your paint. That means immediately, not two weeks down the road after they have had an opportunity to etch into the clear coat and do damage. If you keep a proper coat of wax on your car, the bug guts will wash off with a high pressure hose. That's exactly why I use a combination of MSS and APW.

If a wash does not remove all the bug guts, then you need to break out some clay. There should be no remaining bug shells or bug bits remaining on the paint as you begin to clay. As long as the bug guts have not etched in too deep, clay will remove the damage. That's how it is properly done.

Too many folks look for a miracle product to undo the damage that they have created and a lot of manufacturer's are eager to take advantage of consumers who fit that description. If you look at the weight loss industry, there are a million examples of weight loss gimmicks for people who are not willing to do the one thing that is guaranteed to work: eat right and exercise. It's as simple as that. If you do what is required of YOU when it comes to maintaining your paint, you won't need gimmick type products to undo your neglectful practices.

Archived