Customer Service 866.965.0400

Where do we cross the "no wash" line

bigaudiofanatic

Question

This morning I dropped off my Altima at a body shop. I have been going to them for years with no problems and great work.

With my new found hate for swirls I walked in where this converstation went on

Me: Good morning

Owners Wife: Good morning

Me: I am here to drop off my car

Owner Wife: Yep, your paying for the repair not insurance right?

Me: Correct

Owners Wife: Ok just need you to sign this for me

Me: Ok, now do you usually just wash the part of the car that needs work on it?

Owners Wife: No we wash the whole car

Me: Could you please just wash what needs to be repaired, I don't want swirls getting in my paint.

Owners Wife: What do you mean

Me: Usual washing is not what I do I do 2 bucket wash and other things to insure I do not create swirls

Owners Wife: Oh well we hand wash our cars we do not use a machine. So we do not do that.

Me: Well that can still create swirls

Owners Wife: Ok I will just make a note saying not to wash the whole car "Frustration"

I mean I have no trouble wiping out swirls again. And I had planned on getting up extra early this morning. Go to the car wash and do the steps myself to make sure I dropped it off looking right. As of right now it is covered in salt.

What I am getting at are two things. How much do we need to sit and explain to people that we do not want our cars washed? Do you really want to aggravate people to achieve this?

Edited by bigaudiofanatic

If you just explain that you're very critical on your cars paint and explain how many hours you spend correcting it to make sure there aren't any swirls then they should understand. Or just wash the car before you bring it in next time and tell them about your concerns.

I just took delivery of my Camaro and I told them that they were allowed to vaccum the interior and I will do the rest.

I also had to explain to them that I didn't want any swirls in my paint.

I also traded in my Charger and I was told that he had never had such a well kept car as a trade in. It was raining and the water beads were just rolling off the hood.:D

Unfortunately we are just a minute percentage of indivuals who take as much care as we do for our vehicles and others just cannot recognize this and fail to respect it. I think the best thing you can do is make them aware of your request, like you did, but we can't beat it into them as much as we probably would love to.

i witnessed someone rub a cart across a mini cooper the other day in my apt parking lot, it ended up leaving a pretty big scratch in the door. when the owner came out i told him what happened and he just shrugged it off like he didn't even care!

All you need to do is bring a copy of an invoice for having a complete paint corrected detail with you. Show them that, and instill in them the knowledge that they will be receiving and paying for that invoice should they lay they grease-filled, unbathed hands all over your pretty paint.

last dealership i went to literally was fighting with me when i told them i didnt want them to wash my car. it took me about 4-5 times telling them I can do it by the point when they finally gave up, after i took the guys out there to look at my hood. mind you the sealant/americana i had on there has been on for a while, took water out of my car, slowly dripped it on the hood and beaded like a mofo and fell off. The guys were wide eyed and said, yep I dont blame you for doing it yourself and went back inside. I went home with a swirl free car and they went back inside with info on Adams Products :D haha

i witnessed someone rub a cart across a mini cooper the other day in my apt parking lot, it ended up leaving a pretty big scratch in the door. when the owner came out i told him what happened and he just shrugged it off like he didn't even care!

Unfortunately that is the attitude of most owners. Can't understand it myself, but most just don't care. Seems that after the first ding and the new wears off things go down hill rapidly.

Most people could give a sh*t less about it..."it's just a car". You can tell the ones that do care because you'll see them on forums like Adam's. I've always been very picky about who works on my cars. It took over 10 years before I finally found someone I could trust to paint my '75 TA.

Most people could give a sh*t less about it..."it's just a car". You can tell the ones that do care because you'll see them on forums like Adam's. I've always been very picky about who works on my cars. It took over 10 years before I finally found someone I could trust to paint my '75 TA.

Don't blame you. I think the '75 TA was the finest year of production. My fav is the white with blue bird. Nice ride!!!!!!:patriot:

Well body work is one thing. They need a clean surface and you know that. They are gonna have to mask off rest of the car to protect from paint overspray and do you really want them rubbing in salt on your car? its just one of those things where you have to bite your tongue and just walk away knowing whatever they do you can fix. going in for mechanical work however is another and of course been discussed many times on here.

Print off & hang one of the Adams "DO NOT WASH" placards from your mirror!!

That's what I am doing. Printed them last night and I am going to have them laminated tomorrow.

When I had my windows tinted I asked them not to wash my new car and the worker said they just rinse off the slip solution when they finish tinting. Worked for me because I was going to 2 bucket wash it when I got home anyway.

You would think the owners wife who has been working there for years and years would understand how swirls are created.

Body shops, restoration shops and the like really have no clue what 'good paint' is. To them, if it has a shine and nice reflection when standing 5+ feet away then it is perfect paint.

Body shops, restoration shops and the like really have no clue what 'good paint' is. To them, if it has a shine and nice reflection when standing 5+ feet away then it is perfect paint.

Maybe I should offer to detail her car for free. Than show her what the pain should look like.

Come back 4 weeks later after the boys get to wash it for her and show her what they have done to it. :lolsmack:

I just had a discussion with a neighbour about swirsl and washing. Bottom line I think is they don't understand don't wish to understand so onword!

It is so funny people say "man I like your car so clean and shiny" What do you do?

You start to explain and they say the heck with that, to much work. :confused:

I just had a discussion with a neighbour about swirsl and washing. Bottom line I think is they don't understand don't wish to understand so onword!

It is so funny people say "man I like your car so clean and shiny" What do you do?

Yep, I can tell from the beginning if they are "truly" interested. If not, I don't bother anymore:thumbsup:

Actually happened to me a few weeks ago. Detailed my assistance car. They asked how do they keep it like that. I told them the simple stuff they said it was to much work, it is just a car.:lolsmack:

Ya it did turn out good just hate that they had to wash the whole thing.

Yep. For a whole lot of people, a car like like an appliance. It fills a need, gets them from place to place. They bought it based on MPG ratings, rarely wash it, and probably never removed the dealer plate frames and decals.

We are not like them. They are "other." :cheers:

I always just tell the service advisor "If it's part of your service to wash the car, please don't – I prefer to do it myself." Usually that's all that takes, and if they say "it's no problem or part of our deal," I just add "Washing the car is part of my Saturday morning therapy... really, I'll take care of it myself." and the conversation ends there. That always works, and honestly if I dealer disregarded my instructions after that I'd find a different dealer next time.

And if the car does get washed, it's not the end of the world. It's part of my Saturday morning therapy to get it back in shape. :cheers: