Customer Service 866.965.0400

Underside 2012: Oh she's clean!

BRZN

Question

My wife's been at work several evenings each week leaving me at home with nothing to do. So I figured rather than getting myself into trouble it was time to clean up the Goat where the sun don't shine. This took several hours per evening a few times a week for about six weeks.

I only had the chance to put 670 miles on the GTO last year and had cleaned the undercarriage last winter, but figured with the new Quick Sealant I'd take her to another level. I did get stuck at one show late last summer where there was a 10% chance of rain and it ended up raining hard for two hours. I had to drive home on wet roads!

First the cover was pulled off, the car was put up on jack stands and the wheels were removed.

IMG_4373resize.jpg

The TSW Laguna Wheels have even less than the cars 2011 670 miles on them since they were polished out: I run another set of wheels in the spring until the roads are completely clean and the temperatures are up high enough for the Michelin Pilot Sports to stick. I did clean them with WW applied Quick Sealant to the barrels and backs of the spokes and put a nice coat of Americana on the wheels faces. The tires were wiped down with water mixed with APC at a ratio of 2oz APC to one gallon warm water. After the wipe down they were treated with VRT front, back and treads then stacked in the basement beside the spring set.

Tires-Wheels.jpg

Metal polish 1 & 2 made quick work of bringing the billet aluminum hub rings back to like new. I also polished out the stainless steel bullet mufflers and tips.

HubRingsMetalPolishresize.jpg

Before I started cleaning I had to touch up some paint on the rotor hats and calipers. After a bit of searching I found that Krylon brand Farm Implement Red International Harvester paint was an exact match for the calipers!

IMG_4457resize.jpg

Before:

IMG_4399resize.jpg

After:

IMG_4411resize.jpg

The calipers were also wiped down with Revive polish using a microfiber applicator.

Now the real fun was ready to begin:

IMG_4444resize.jpg

I spent an hour and a half on each corner of the car and another three hours under the rest just cleaning. Again the bucket contained one gallon of warm water with 2oz of APC and was switched out after each corner and at least two times under the main portion of the cars underside. Every bit of each wheel well/inner fender was cleaned as was every piece of suspension, steering linkage and section of frame. Also, as far as I could reach into the exposed areas at the front and rear bumpers and around the front sides (front) and back sides (rear) of the plastic inner fenders were wiped out.

After cleaning I wiped everything down with Quick Sealant that was black, red or Brazen Orange. I ended up removing the skid plate from under the oil pan so I could reach a few places only seen from above that were hard to reach from the top side.

IMG_4445resize.jpg

Left Front:

IMG_4469resize.jpg

Right Front:

IMG_4432resize.jpg

Left Rear:

IMG_4436resize.jpg

Right Rear:

IMG_4433resize.jpg

Front Center:

IMG_4429resize.jpg

Right Rear from the underside:

IMG_4437resize.jpg

Left Front from the underside:

IMG_4430resize.jpg

Right Front from the underside:

IMG_4431resize.jpg

Left Rear from the underside:

IMG_4434resize.jpg

From the Left Rear looking forward:

IMG_4440resize.jpg

Right Rear looking in:

IMG_4452resize.jpg

Left Rear looking in:

IMG_4455resize.jpg

Above the Differential:

IMG_4447resize.jpg

Left Rear Floor Pan:

IMG_4441resize.jpg

As Reichler said, she's "Gonna look too purty to drive!" Nah, first nice day she'll be out.

:burnout:

Ill bring you my Holden G8GT she has 101,800 miles and I want it to look like the Goat.

Your mind wonders like mine does. I was under my car just with a towel and APC and made the rear end look lots better but I don't have jacks stands or a jack.

Looks GRRRR8 man.

I think Adams should use the Goat as the poster child for detailing the belly.

Coming late to this thread, but.. inspiring work, man. That looks beautiful.

About 15000 miles in on my Chevy Volt.. been pondering doing the same, but not sure I can get it high enough of the ground. We'll see when the weather gets nicer.. my garage is not as roomy as yours. :)

Archived