Customer Service 866.965.0400

DETAILED: Nissan Murano

Team Adam's

This one actually belongs to the wife of the guy who owns the G35s I posted yesterday. Typical daily driver/kid hauler... interior was in shambles, the exterior was just as bad. After discussing the 'goals' for this round the owner settled on a flat rate detail where the interior would get most of the attention and the exterior would get a decent improvement (not full correction) and a sealant application to keep it looking its best for longer.

TOTAL TIME - 6 hours w/ 2 guys

EQUIPMENT/TOOLS:

• Flex PE 14-2 Rotary
  • Flex 3401VRG
  • Gen4 Prototype Orange Pads (small and large)
  • Gen4 Prototype White Pads (small and large)
  • Gen4 Prototype Gray Waxing Pads (small and large)
  • Americana Hex Grip Applicators
  • Blue Hex Grip Applicator
  • Pro Tire Apps
  • Block Sponges
  • Shop Vac Pro
  • Metro Vac 500
  • Ultimate Fire Hose Nozzle + Shut Off
  • 2 Buckets w/ Grit Guards
  • Ultimate Merino Wool Wash Mitt
  • Professional Wash Pads
  • Metro Blaster Sidekick
  • Bosch Cordless Drill
  • Turbo Stick Wheel Cleaning Tool
  • Boulder Blonde Wheel Brush
  • Fender & Tire Brush
  • Trim & Lug Nut Brush
  • Nitrile Glove
  • 0000 Steel Wool
  • Assorted towels

CHEMCIALS:

• Car Wash Shampoo
  • All Purpose Cleaner
  • Green Wheel Cleaner
  • Detail Spray
  • Waterless Wash
  • Glass Cleaner
  • Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner
  • Leather & Interior Cleaner
  • Leather & Interior Conditioner
  • Metal Polish 1 & 2
  • Swirl & Haze Remover
  • Fine Machine Polish
  • Revive Polish
  • In & Out Spray
  • Super VRT
  • Invisible Undercarriage Spray
  • Quick Sealant
  • Isopropyl Alcohol
  • Clay Bars

Or course mother nature once again, despite the predictions of the local weather experts, decided to make it rain to start our day. Hoping for clear weather we started in the shelter of the garage and focused the first half of the time on the interior. The carpets needed the most attention, so we pulled everything out of the interior that wasn't bolted down.

fbc18dde.jpg

The rear cargo liner was pulled, hosed off, soaked with 1:1 APC, scrubbed with a stiff brush, and rinsed

3a67e7c3.jpg

Anthony started on the interior with the shop vac pro pulling out old french fries, petrified gummy bears, and all other manner of nastiness. Afterwards he scrubbed all the interior panels with leather & interior cleaner and dressed the insides using both Leather Conditioner and In & Out Spray

c6f47d84.jpg

dfc59b2a.jpg

I took on the matts... Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner, carpet brush, multiple towels, and the bissell LGM were put thru their paces... note the difference in color after just one pass:

cdd1afc0.jpg

e325f3d9.jpg

Out of the garage, and into the drizzle... once again we washed and clayed in the rain. I fear my neighbors may have me committed soon.

434c06b7.jpg

dda8f25c.jpg

Exterior was treated to a very strong 2 bucket strip wash with APC and Car Wash Shampoo

ac2c2add.jpg

The clay pulled up surprisingly little considering the condition of the exterior

4baee6c4.jpg

Another wash was done post claying, then dried just as the sun started to break thru. Before doing the full correction we decided to address some of the biggest eye sores first... including the scratched and scuffed door handle area:

a03eb8f4.jpg

801a091e.jpg

Anthony has become somewhat of an expert at polishing these areas with a blue hex grip and Revive... with staggering results:

490f30ec.jpg

7bf0ebc4.jpg

9c518983.jpg

BEFORE:

801a091e.jpg

AFTER:

61acd23f.jpg

Other tight spots were addressed by hand with assorted polishes and hex grip apps while I took on spot correction using the PE 14-2 rotary and prototype 4" Gen4 Pads

58a151e5.jpg

6d33645b.jpg

After the more intensive spot correction the entire exterior was treated to 1 pass of FMP+white pad on the 3401, followed by 1 pass of Revive+Gray pad on the 3401. Ultimately the goal was not 100% correction, but removal of larger scratches and a noticable overall improvement. This combination gave us the best results in the least amount of time with minimal efforts to keep the cost down for the customer.

It was then pulled into the garage and dressing began, I took on the engine bay while Anthony dressed the tires/undercarriage, hand polished the wheels, and then sealed them with quick sealant.

c7a25878.jpg

ac2fe28e.jpg

The rest of the exterior, including glass was then sealed with Quick Sealant

6aa88b79.jpg

4096081d.jpg

7dd81ee8.jpg

f1dfe481.jpg

60631f0a.jpg

222b95d1.jpg

78521d88.jpg

f2535c82.jpg

The Murano was then pulled out of the garage for a final waterless wash wipe down to discharge the static buildup and final inspection was done just in time for the customer to take delivery.

965d1f75.jpg

Headlights post correction and sealed with Quick Sealant

50abdb1f.jpg

1a8e7010.jpg

dbef363e.jpg

Thanks for looking thumbsup.gif

Wow, those door handle scratches were removed with just revive?! How?! Lol

A lot of time the scratches are very superficial or just scuffs/nail polish transfer /etc. By simply using a product that cleanses the area they're diminished to a point that you won't be able to see them or removed completely.

It tends to be the most dramatic on white as that area shows up really bad.

Mixing a couple of drops of SHR or even going to the orange hex grip will sometimes get you added 'oomph!' if you need it.

Awesome job! Thanks for the detailed write-up. Taking the time to do that during a detail isn't always the easiest.

I was going to ask the same question about the door hand receses..very impressive.

Looks great! How does QS do on Glass?

Just for temporary reasons? Or is it last as long as Glass Sealant?

It seals them, just not as well as glass sealant IMO... the only reason we went with QS over glass sealant was speed. The customer wasn't paying extra and its much easier to fog the entire vehicle with QS. I was able to treat the entire thing in about 15 minutes including wipe down.

My wifes Nissan quest has the EXACT same scratches behind the door handle...

Give it a try... you'll be impressed... just take a blue hex or flip pad, a liberal amount of Revive, and spend some serious time rubbing the area. The improvement is usually pretty mind blowing. Probably my favorite use for Revive.

Outstanding Job,, Thanks for the write up. What did you use on the carpets and matts ????

from the original post:

I took on the matts... Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner, carpet brush, multiple towels, and the bissell LGM were put thru their paces... note the difference in color after just one pass

It seals them, just not as well as glass sealant IMO... the only reason we went with QS over glass sealant was speed. The customer wasn't paying extra and its much easier to fog the entire vehicle with QS. I was able to treat the entire thing in about 15 minutes including wipe down.

Cool, thanks. Kind of what I was thinking. Time savings

Dylan,

I might have missed it but did you top coat with a wax or just use the quick sealant? also, the waterless wash as a final to discharge static build up? never heard of thought of that, I would have guessed the final would be detail spray, to add a little pop.. what did you guys use on the wheels?

thanks, always looking to learn:thumbsup:

Dylan,

I might have missed it but did you top coat with a wax or just use the quick sealant?

Just sealant.

Again, the customer wasn't looking for show car looks, this is a daily driver. They wanted it cleaned, improved, and protected with minimal cost involved. Adding wax wouldn't have done much for white, and they weren't paying for the extra time/product. Quick sealant was ideal b/c it will give them months of protection and it kept the overall cost/time down.

Sometimes its hard to take the "business" approach to detailing... as shine junkies we'd all go MSS/BG/Americana on every car like it was our own... but taking the junkie mentality out of it and treating purely as 'what result is the customer paying for and how much of my time/materials have they bought' means you maximize your labor. I struggle with it in the polishing stages too... the perfectionist in me wants to correct the paint to perfection... the business mind in me says they've only payed for improvement and set number of passes... balancing those two sides of it is what takes it from being detail for pleasure vs. a detail for profit. My friend doesn't work for free, and my weekend/family time are priceless... so the motivation to make these jobs 'pencil out' is big. If I spend all day in the garage, pay out my buddy, and it turns out my profit is only a few $ an hour I've essentially wasted a day b/c time with my wife and son are more important to me than that. If I can maximize the detail, make about $25-$30 an hour after covering costs and paying out added labor then its a winner. Thats just about the only kind of detail I take anymore unless its a favor for someone.

the waterless wash as a final to discharge static build up? never heard of thought of that, I would have guessed the final would be detail spray, to add a little pop

The waterless wash wipe down is something I do with a lot of my details post LSP. The act of rubbing foam and microfiber on your paint generates a static charge... that charge then makes the vehicle a magnet for dust. Waterless + a Waterless towel helps discharge the static. Also, per step 5 on the Quick Sealant instructions:

5. Some static charge is normal. Wipe with Adam's Detail Spray or Waterless Wash to discharge.

I find that Waterless is better at discharging the static... plus the added gloss wasn't a concern so I saved my DS for what its better at and used my WW (lower cost) to do the job. The reaction that occurs with QS as it starts to cure and harden results in some static charge. If you use it in humid or hot conditions it becomes really obvious as you'll almost hear "popping" as you spread it over the surface. Thats the static charge being broken as you wipe the product over the surface. Really kind of interesting how strong it is.

what did you guys use on the wheels?

thanks, always looking to learn:thumbsup:

Wheels were hand polished (SHR and Revive w/ flip pad) Sealed with Quick Sealant.

Nice work man! Apparently when you have childrens, it makes it okay to trash your interior? WTH!

Believe it or not, I think their kids are High School age... so I really don't understand how it got that way. It also had cigarette burns in a few places, yet neither of them claim to be smokers and they bought it new? :help:

that all makes perfect sense.. I've not used the quick sealant yet, but it does seem like I use a lot of detail spray. I didn't really notice after polishing, MSW and BW the car was shinier than before, but when I wash the car and use detail spray it seems to make that blue really pop.

I've got a vehicle I'm going to detail when we get a little nicer weather and I might just follow what you did here since its a daily driver, white and 16 years old.

Archived