Customer Service 866.965.0400

Lessons learned.... the hard way.

Team Adam's

Question

So a customer who I recently did a detail for calls to let me know his car looks completely messed up and accuses me of using something to 'hide' the problems rather than fix them.

This same customer when he took delivery of the car asked what he should do to maintain it and not allow it to get back to where it was when he brought it to me. After outlining the needed items:

• 2 buckets
  • 2 grit guards
  • 2-3 quality wash pads
  • pH neutral car soap
  • 1-2 quality drying towels
  • drying agent
  • LOTS OF COMMON SENSE & PROPER TECHNIQUE

He balked at the advice at that time, said it was a lot to invest in car washing stuff.

So trying to get to the bottom of how his car got the way it did after being detailed only a short time ago I had him outline his process.

• 1 bucket
  • no grit guard
  • cheap sponge from autozone
  • some soap he found in the garage
  • bath towels

I explained to him that he had introduced the damage, it wasn't the same damage I removed, but all new damage from poor wash techniques. We discussed at length the proper process. The car will be coming back for another correction to the tune of roughly $300-$400 and he still has to buy the right supplies.

Expensive lesson, but a lesson none the less. Lets see if he listens this time and actually heeds my advice on washing and wash supplies.

18 answers to this question

nice, i feel this is the most important part of any detail, although many may not want to hear anything about the process. Educate so that work that is put in is protected, and things like this dont happen, but there are always a few people that dont care no matter what happens. good that you kept your cool and offered to show him right away, i showed a guy his car the other day as i stripped the fillers out of this "new" paint and you could see them falling down the car, he couldnt believe it and it at the same time showed him for the real work i had to do and i think made him feel better about spending cash. Hopefully your guy will get his act together and realize how to correctly get everything done.

I find it interesting that he tried to pawn it off on you, not to mention insulting.

Good thing detailing is one area where you can prove what you did repaired the paint and what he did afterwards put it right back where it was.

I didn't take it personally... he had an idea in his head probably based on years of buying cars from dealers where glazes were used to hide things. In the end I don't think any insult was intended and he very much appreciates the insight. Too bad it took him messing up hours of correction to see it.

I find it interesting that he tried to pawn it off on you, not to mention insulting.

Good thing detailing is one area where you can prove what you did repaired the paint and what he did afterwards put it right back where it was.

Way to stick to your guns!!!!!!

Alot of folks do not understand exactly what you told him. I find it hard to make people understand that also.

You would think he would just have you do it all the time if it was a possible option,, I can see him bringing back again.

:rockon:

Reminds me of this customer (friend).

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/trucks/13990.htm

He asked about washing after the detail and I told him to come see me. Finally for the first time since October it was washed and a coat of QS put on Saturday.

No wash is better than improper wash.

Another way to convince customers that 2 buckets are needed to wash, simply show pics of the buckets after a 2 bucket wash.

i feel this is the most important part of any detail

Yep! Proper washing supplies/technique are as important, if not more so, than the actual correction itself. What good are hours spent fixing a problem, if you don't address the cause? Thats kind of the message I had to get across to him.

ive come to the conclusion that if i go into detailing full time that i would offer one free wash lesson with every FULL exterior correction, for the customers that want to DIY it after i completed a detail.

I would also be willing to teach a customer the proper washing techniques for a fee if they wished.

I just told my buddy yesterday late afternoon after he came and picked his truck up after a full correction, that he absolutely needs to invest into some washing products and use proper technique.

I even gave him an Adam's DVD to watch.

We'll see how long it lasts though.

I told him, if he doesn't have the time to wash it correctly from here on out, then just don't wash it. Wait until you have the time to do it right.

I applaud you sir for taking the time to calmly and professionally explain that to him. All to often people on the receiving end of goods and services are too quick to point fingers and not take responsibly for their own actions. I see it everyday here at the store, just appalling when you really consider it. Good for you Dylan!

I simply told him thats not how I work, or ever have. Showed him a few side by sides I had taken in the process of correction. Also asked him to put some bright lights on his car to see if the defects were directional (which they were) and relate that to how he had washed the car.

He realized pretty quickly that he had done it... also offered to drive over to his place, correct a spot on his hood for him while he watched so he could see first hand there was no 'masking' at work.

Archived