Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clarification....please

GothamEMS

Question

What does machine polishing do exactly to the clear coat? Micro remove it? Melt it to fill the swirls? Can you only perform so many polishing sessions on your vehicle before you deteriorate the clear? ETC...Anyone with some good answers, I'd love to hear from....YES I checked Google! Real time answers is all I'm looking for. Thank you in advance!

10 answers to this question

Dylan had posted an excellent grafic on this.

The very very short answer is this: when you are polishing you are removing a a little bit of clear coat. How much? you would have to (properly) polish you car thousands upon thousands of times before you removed enough clear coat to cause any real damage or degregation

Swirls and scratches are basically V-shaped cuts in your car's finish. When you polish the finish you are cutting down the top edges of that V, smothing it out, and making it so that the light reflects off of it differently. You are never acutually removing a scratch or a swirl, you are just changing the shape of it and the surrounding finish so you can't see it.

Hope that helps. I will see if I can find the grafic I am thinking of.

I just got adobe suite, maybe I should make a video.

The very very short answer is this: when you are polishing you are removing a a little bit of clear coat. How much? you would have to (properly) polish you car thousands upon thousands of times before you removed enough clear coat to cause any real damage or degregation

Swirls and scratches are basically V-shaped cuts in your car's finish. When you polish the finish you are cutting down the top edges of that V, smothing it out, and making it so that the light reflects off of it differently. You are never acutually removing a scratch or a swirl, you are just changing the shape of it and the surrounding finish so you can't see it.

Thank you sir for the information :D

Good answer David!:2thumbs:

Archived