Customer Service 866.965.0400

nuances of detailing

camaro

Question

You know how Dylan or Adam have top tips like do the windows last or do the tires first (hope I got that right)? Well this spring, over the course of a few weekends, some of my friends plan to detail/paint resto 3 cars.

where in my play-by-play checklist below can i fit some of those *nuances?

- Clean wheels*

- strip wax wash (3 oz APC, 3 oz shampoo, 1/3 bucket water)

- air dryer/detail spray with MF

- claybar

- Svrt trim and tires

- Swirl and haze remover

- Machine polish

- Machine sealant

- Wait 24 hours*

- Wax

- Clean windows*

:help::grouphug::pc::cheers::2thumbs::glasses:

15 answers to this question

For me I do my exterior window glass last. You're bound to get some SVRT from dressing the trim on them, touch the glass, get some wax on one and/or have some dust on them once your finished waxing.

I think washing after claying is just extra work to an already long day. As I clay a panel I wipe it dry with a WW towel. Think about it, you're going to be spritzing the polishing pad with DS so it's not like you have to get all the DS off you used to clay with.

For me I do my exterior window glass last. You're bound to get some SVRT from dressing the trim on them, touch the glass, get some wax on one and/or have some dust on them once your finished waxing.

I think washing after claying is just extra work to an already long day. As I clay a panel I wipe it dry with a WW towel. Think about it, you're going to be spritzing the polishing pad with DS so it's not like you have to get all the DS off you used to clay with.

:iagree:

I wouldn't worry about drying after your first wash if you're going to clay right away. I also don't wash after clay, just IPA wipe down for me then I head to polishing.

I also dress the trim before I polish because wiping off any dust or possible splatter is real easy once the trim is dressed. And then yes..the windows for me as well are the very last thing I do.

I usually do the SVRT last. I prefer to tape the trim before polishing and sometimes have problems getting the tape to stick to fresh SVRT. This method also gives the tires and wheels longer to dry.

ok so 2 steps of vrt app? engine bay cleaning last too?

Can I machine polish & machine sealant these rims? (painted and clear coated) do i need separate pads?

N9K5K.jpg

can I machine polish and seal my calipers too? (painted with g3 and a custom brake caliper high heat label)

I would suggest looking at some of the write-ups I have posted or Dylan has posted in the last 4 months. The process from start to finish is a pretty straight forward one, and had what I think, great order to it.

Start with wheels/tires/tips

Move to engine bay

Wash

Dry (or) not

Dress trim and tires

Clay

Polish

Seal

Glaze

Wax

For your factory wheels, treat them just like your paint, although you are better off doing that stuff by hand.

Mook

ok so 2 steps of vrt app?

No, just one, but you decide when you want to do this part. If you do it early on, you may have to touch-up a couple of spots up after polishing.

engine bay cleaning last too?

Do this first if you are using water to rinse the area - it can be messy.

Can I machine polish & machine sealant these rims? (painted and clear coated) do i need separate pads?

Yes, but you may need the 4" Focus pads.

No, just one, but you decide when you want to do this part. If you do it early on, you may have to touch-up a couple of spots up after polishing.

Do this first if you are using water to rinse the area - it can be messy.

Yes, but you may need the 4" Focus pads.

ok yea - but how do I seal? there is no 4 inch pad for sealant

By hand or use the Quick Sealant, which if you ask me, is a better option for that part of your car anyway.

Mook

Absolutly. Quick seal is the biggest time saver after the Flex polisher. It is especially great on wheels, door trim, and hard to reach places the PC just can't get into like air dams. If you guys are doing 3 cars in one weekend, I would want to have a bottle of QS on hand.

and check out the detailer write up section on the forums. You can learn a lot just be reading. Mook and Dylan have accidentally developed what seems to be the standard layout for detailer write ups. Quick story, process, before and after photos. Detailers Write-Ups - Adam's Polishes Forums

Absolutly. Quick seal is the biggest time saver after the Flex polisher. It is especially great on wheels, door trim, and hard to reach places the PC just can't get into like air dams. If you guys are doing 3 cars in one weekend, I would want to have a bottle of QS on hand.

and check out the detailer write up section on the forums. You can learn a lot just be reading. Mook and Dylan have accidentally developed what seems to be the standard layout for detailer write ups. Quick story, process, before and after photos. Detailers Write-Ups - Adam's Polishes Forums

nice! bonus points for taking a leadership role

thanks

Archived