Customer Service 866.965.0400

G8 Spring Cleaning & Photo Shoot (PICS)

GerryC

I tackled the interior and engine bay last week

Leather Conditioner on dashboard, seats, door panels, steering wheel, shift knob, and all black plastic surfaces.

Picture-113.jpg

APC wipedown, then Super VRT on all black plastic and rubber. Touched up with In & out for hard to reach spots

Picture-098.jpg

And I did the exterior yesterday:

Here's a quick before and after...swirls were a bit worse than what the camera actually caught

(next 4 pics are cell phone sorry)

beforeafter2012.jpg

1. Foamed & soaked, blast rinsed, foamed & soaked again

foam.jpg

2. Wash, clay (including glass), re-wash.

3. Sheeting rinse, leafblower dry. towel remainder, including door jambs, under hood and trunk

4. 1 pass SHR/orange pad. These are still my favorite Adam's towels, and I still got a pile of new ones :D

hoodaftershr.jpg

5. Revive Polish by hand with blue hex grip

6. Glass sealant

7. Metal Polish 1 & 2 on exhaust tips and metal trim

8. Americana. The jar wouldn't stay put since the surface was so slick

americana.jpg

*end of cell phone pics*

9. Remove Glass Sealant

10. Super VRT on tires and all black plastic and rubber. In & out for honeycomb grill

11. More Americana

Picture-119.jpg

Starving and exhausted after 5 hours I didn't even get to take it for a spin until today. I brought her to the boat ramp by the beach and took some photos while people watched and probably thought I was crazy

Picture-120.jpg

Picture-121.jpg

Picture-122.jpg

Picture-124.jpg

I wanted to paint part of the engine cover white, but when I tried masking it off, the tape wouldn't stick. I tried blue painters, green, even duct tape. I guess I have to sand it all down first.

I wanted to paint part of the engine cover white, but when I tried masking it off, the tape wouldn't stick. I tried blue painters, green, even duct tape. I guess I have to sand it all down first.

Did you try cleaning it with alcohol?

Quick question while I got all you other G8 guys here. I've read through a lot of engine detailing posts but I can't seem to get a clear answer. What exactly needs covered (specifically for the v6)?

Quick question while I got all you other G8 guys here. I've read through a lot of engine detailing posts but I can't seem to get a clear answer. What exactly needs covered (specifically for the v6)?

Like, what in the engine needs to be covered? I know of quite a few G8 drivers that drive without using one, so I think they're just visual and not functional. If anything, removing it would help dissipate heat

stormtroopin ftw!!

I can't believe I never realized that before...it DOES look like a stormtrooper...maybe it's a transformer :lol:

No I was wondering what does everyone recommend covering in the engine bay while washing it. I have read some posts over at the g8board but I thought I would hijack this thread for a quick second. (OP your white hot is beautiful).

If you have any exposed air filters, make sure to cover them with a plastic bag. Other than that, I can't say for sure. I haven't directly sprayed water in my engine bay (it does however get in there through the hood vents after driving in the rain, with no issues). To clean my engine bay I usually just mist a utility towel with All Purpose Cleaner and wipe things down by hand since it never really gets dirty enough to warrant an actual 'washing'.

I hate you G8 owners with your faster than my GTP, super hot & sexy good looks (the car...lol)!

J/k. No hating here. Looks awesome. I do want one though.

Droid X on CM4DX-GB (CM7) - via Tapatalk

Well maybe if they didn't put your engine in sideways... :jester: Just teasing, it's not your fault the GTP is Wrong Wheel Drive.

If you have any exposed air filters, make sure to cover them with a plastic bag. Other than that, I can't say for sure. I haven't directly sprayed water in my engine bay (it does however get in there through the hood vents after driving in the rain, with no issues). To clean my engine bay I usually just mist a utility towel with All Purpose Cleaner and wipe things down by hand since it never really gets dirty enough to warrant an actual 'washing'.

That's a very good point with the air vents. I think I'll try your method fist and see how it goes. I'm all stock under the hood except HIDs. Thanks for your input!

Archived