Customer Service 866.965.0400

new to polishing

Cjbarton

Question

i bought a porter cable 7424xp and spent an entire day and more trying to polish att the scratches out. When i ended it was dark outside so i couldnt inspect, and when i did the next day i noticed swirls still all over my paint. any tips?

19 answers to this question

Patience, Patience Patience. I have learned with the PC that it takes multiple-multiple passes if you are really correcting heavy swirls. If it is that bad you may consider stepping into the Severe Polish

Let's see some photos with a flash on the paint (shows the swirls) or maybe out in the sun -

Sometimes it takes more than one pass of SHR per area to get those swirls out.

Flashing (esp. SHR) means the polish goes from kind of milky to clear and greasy looking.

Often new users (I did this) use too much polish, which actually makes things correct more slowly and wastes the polish. The pad does part of the work, the polish does part of the work.

All the issues the previous posters listed are correct, and must be examined and eliminated to get the fastest and best results. There is some technique to this, but by being observant of your technique and taking your time you will get amazing results. You will not knock out a correction in 4 hours, so relax and make each part you polish up to your standards.

I suggest working a 2 ft. x 2 ft. section that has similar damage as the rest of the car - the hood or the trunk may be the best spot. Polish that section until you get the results you are looking for. Start with the least aggressive polish and pad combination. Work that section until the polish flashes, and inspect the area. Do another section pass with this combination before moving to a more aggressive pad/polish combination. Now you have a good idea what the rest of the car will need.

The main problems new folks have are one or more of the following:

• using too much polish
  • moving the polsiher too fast
  • not working the polish until it flashes
  • not holding the pads flat on the surface

:iagree: And I might add not enough pressure.

Thanks adam and everyone. there was definitely an improvement in over-all shine and gloss, most swirls were removed but when you get it in the sun you can see a good bit of swirls left. My cars swirls were not to bad to begin with, so i kinda believe that it was improper technique on my part.

I suggest working a 2 ft. x 2 ft. section that has similar damage as the rest of the car - the hood or the trunk may be the best spot. Polish that section until you get the results you are looking for. Start with the least aggressive polish and pad combination. Work that section until the polish flashes, and inspect the area. Do another section pass with this combination before moving to a more aggressive pad/polish combination. Now you have a good idea what the rest of the car will need.

• using too much polish

Did it

Did it

Did it

Did it

it really takes practice. Be patient and you will get there.

I have only used halogen lights, so yeah they are fine.

Others use some fancy shmancy dual xenon lights

bahahah :D i feel a little jealousy in that statement haha. but yes dual 500W halogens are my bread and butter now like matt said. and for close up imperfections i use a Brinkmann light, along with a few other LED's. but thats just cause im fancy shmancy :banana::thumbsup:

WOrking with A PC takes a very long time to get the swirls out of your finish. I would say you probably didn't apply enough pressure on the machine and your were probably moving it too fast.

Like everyone else mentioned, do a 2'x2' test spot, apply enough pressure and move the machine slowly and you will see some results.

As everyone here has mentioned, you need to perfect a small area on the car first, then replicate that process over the whole car. You're just wasting time/effort/product if you skip this very important step.

How will I know when the polish flashes?

It will look like Vaseline. Best way to describe it.

as already said, work a 1-2ft section until you get the results you want, and then replicate that technique over the rest of the car.

:iagree: Find the worst spot on your car and that is your section to perfect. If you can get that spot perfect then do whatever you did on that to the rest of the car and you'll be set!

I'd suggest getting some powerful lights to help show you the swirls so you can see your progress.

Remember you don't need a lot or product and move slower than you think. I have to keep reminding myself to move slowly when I polish.

• using too much polish

i used swirl and haze remover with orange pad and fine machine polish with white pad. i was using a cross-hatching technique. i have watched the videos and junkmans videos. i wasnt wearing a shirt, i was wearing a sweatshirt. Paint does look better just not the best i think it could. still a bit of swirls on the car.

Archived