Customer Service 866.965.0400

write ups & detail times

Fit08

Hey folks,

While enjoying the detailed write ups I come to wondering how much more time this takes on the deatil job at hand. Example, Dylan your Lambo job you took alot of photos and some wrtie up. This over time must of added and hour maybe. I did however notice you had a helper so he would detail while you took photos, this wold help.

With trashed paint and a completed detail job, engine, interior and full paint correction I don't for the life of me see how some of us are claming 6 hour turn around times? I could see this if all the above was not in terrible shape.

My two car fleet which has to go through our rough Canadain winters and outside stays at times take me 36 hours to complete and these are long days. Doing a complete detail engine, interior and paint can leave one over whelmed for sure!

This is where alot of the public don't understand the time it can take and for those of you doing this as a business must have fun trying to educate these people.

A lot of it is experience. I'm not claiming to be a seasoned vet by any means, I've only done 4 paint corrections. But I can say this: each time I have done a car the time to finish a car has decreased every time.

Not to mention I'm sure it helps having a flex (if you use a PC that is).

I often don't take a lot of picture either, but the 'speed' comes with experience (lots and lots!). Also, if you plan to take pictures during the detail, then you kind of plan when to take them in advance. The 50/50's are the easiest. You set up your test area with tape. You would probably not tape a 2x2 square, but tape off 1/2 the hood, then halve that area. This is where you will dial-in your planned method - maybe one section with just FMP, then the other section with SHR followed by FMP. The difference between the corrected area and the uncorrected area really stand out and provide a great 50/50 shot.

You can see the tape line down the roof in this shot:

DSC_0046.jpg

And the 50/50 (tape just pulled back and still visable at the far right:

DSC_0047.jpg

In this shot Jae had positioned the halogen lamp to check his progress and then played with it a little bit to get a better picture:

P1010717.jpg

P1010719.jpg

I would guess that taking the pictures took an extra 15 minutes on this project, but we did have 3+ people working in it, so progress was still being made.

Initially the documentation will add time, but as you plan it into the detail it will be minimal. It is the selecting/uploading the pictures and the write up that takes the most time.

As mentioned, total time spent on a job will decrease as you get more experience under your belt.

It's really a matter of efficiency. Don't waste time with things like drying the vehicle if you are going right into claying...it's not necessary to do a wipe down of each panel after you clay...don't bother removing flashed polish residue unless you are on your final polishing step...those kind of things. You'll eventually learn steps and processes you can omit that will decrease the time you are working.

Regarding taking pictures, it really doesn't take that much extra time. I spend probably 10 minutes total from start to finish with a camera in my hand. I always take a "before," some 50/50 polishing shots and any other big improvement shots, than the best "after" shot I can get.

It's really a matter of efficiency. Don't waste time with things like drying the vehicle if you are going right into claying...it's not necessary to do a wipe down of each panel after you clay...don't bother removing flashed polish residue unless you are on your final polishing step...those kind of things. You'll eventually learn steps and processes you can omit that will decrease the time you are working.

What do you mean by this? Say if I'm polishing with SHR, you don't have to wipe the remaining off if I'm going straight to FMP? :help:

What do you mean by this? Say if I'm polishing with SHR, you don't have to wipe the remaining off if I'm going straight to FMP? :help:

Yes, if you watch the videos that Adam has made he leaves the polishes on moving to the next step. Now some do some don't, really up to you.

Once you have a process going, you pretty much know what shots you want to take before you start - which panels are going to be your 50/50s, etc.

I know I always like to do one door, the trunk lid, the roof, and hood or front fender as my 50/50s. So as I get one to that point, I simply grab the camera and take about 10 pics to hopefully get a good one that's nice and sharp and dramatic.

You'll also soon figure out where to place the light, and where to take the picture from to get the shot you want, for the most part, similar for every car except maybe a large SUV where some stuff is up higher.

The first detail where you want to take pics of the process takes the longest for sure.

dont know if im really answering your question. but gotta remember too if there is a group of guys (3) working on a car at the same time and it takes them 7 hours start to finish, thats about 21 man hours on the car. saying if you went alone by yourself and did it, expect 21 hours if your want to do the correction to the exact same extent. Thats how its kinda thought of.

Yup. Adam was 'detailing for dollars' (i.e. best job done the fastest way) so he has found those kinds of things to speed things up and conserve his stockpile of microfiber, too. Part of the cost of the job is cleaning up all your materials, too, right? Watch how he folds the microfiber cloths, he is always folding, wiping, flipping, then refolding as he works and talks on the videos. Me, I am lucky I can fold it neatly without talking to a camera!

Archived