Customer Service 866.965.0400

Trunk Mounted Bike Racks?

DTrem13

I'm thinking about getting into Mountain Biking with a couple friends. And since I don't have my S10 anymore, I'll need a way to transport my bike. I was thinking about getting something like this:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Deluxe-2-Bike-Trunk-Mount/dp/B000ELUXFC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334171191&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Allen Deluxe 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Something pretty inexpensive to hold my bike plus a friend's bike from time to time. Do any of you use these? I'm of course worried about it scratching the paint, but will the rubber pads do any damage if properly maintained?

OH HECK YEAH! Those will ruin the paint no matter how much you take care of them.

Best bet is to put down some blue painters tape where these will sit and use IT to protect the paint. Remove as soon as done.

Chris

My friend uses one and yes... they will destroy the paint in those areas.

Last time I detailed his car we wet sanded and corrected the damage, then he had PPF film custom cut and applied to those areas to at least minimize some of the long term damage. The film is trashed just a few months later, but at least that can be pulled off when its time to sell the car and he won't have dull/scratched/ruined spots on the car.

Thanks Chewy and Dylan for your input :)

I have a 2006 Charger. I dunno if I really want a hitch mounted on my car. Kinda defeats the purpose ya know? I have the option of using my Dad's Silverado, but he's not always around.

Just trying to see what my options are. How much are towing packages, roughly? Does anyone know?:confused:

the clear PPF Dylan mentioned or the hitch mounted one will be your best options. with blue painters tape, if there is wax on the vehicle, the tape will not stick very well, if at all.

I've never had the sticking problem... Plus there's weight pushing against it.

It'd be cheap to try and non permanent.

I would NEVER use a trunk mount rack! Why, because they are not secure enough for me. I aways put a trailer hitch style on my cars.

This is an investment which pays fo itself just in not worring about bike falling off.

This is what I had for my Treks. but Now I have a hitch mounted one for the reason of missing up the paint on the wifes car.

http://www.saris.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=7&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=28&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=57

I even put padding under the legs where they hit the car. It helped alot, but still. Then the straps blowing in the wind did not help either.

Thanks Chewy and Dylan for your input :)

I have a 2006 Charger. I dunno if I really want a hitch mounted on my car. Kinda defeats the purpose ya know? I have the option of using my Dad's Silverado, but he's not always around.

Just trying to see what my options are. How much are towing packages, roughly? Does anyone know?:confused:

alot of times you can get a hitch mounted behind your license plate if your license is within the bumper. Then just slide it to the side, They have these for mini's, audis and BMW's. im sure they make them for your car.

alot of times you can get a hitch mounted behind your license plate if your license is within the bumper. Then just slide it to the side, They have these for mini's, audis and BMW's. im sure they make them for your car.

yeah! thats a great idea! i had one of these on my 98 dakota r/t. it was mounted behind the roll pan and the license plate was on a hinge so i just flipped it up to mount the receiver.

Archived