Customer Service 866.965.0400

merino wool VS wash pad

camaro

Question

I anticipate the answer will be the traditional Adam's family, "because it's just better" response (and I don't doubt it) but ...

... I would like to know, given that the wash pad is guaranteed, not to scratch or swirl the paint, then why would I need anything else (i.e. wool mit)?

Sorry if I sound like a jerk, you know I love you guys lol - honest question.

Edited by camaro

oh man! I didn't mean these guys:

Addams%2520Family.jpg

didn't even realize it at the time, sorry

I was referring to all of the folks here in the forum. I have really never seen a stronger forum community & liken it to a family. Glad to be a part!

Personally, I feel that the mitt is easier to control and easier to clean out compared to the pads. Also, I feel that they are softer than the pads. For me, I have 2 mitts for the SS and I have 4 wash pads to use on other vehicles, including my truck and other peoples cars I do for money.

The difference is going to come down to longevity... the merino wool mitt will last you indefinitely so long as you care for it. The synthetic pads will need to be replaced every so often, but they're cheaper.

Personally I use my merino for the upper 1/3rd of the vehicle and use a standard 9x9 for the lower sections. Always seems like there is some trace amount of tar or nastiness down there so if my synthetic pad its no big deal.

thanks for all tips guys

The difference is going to come down to longevity... the merino wool mitt will last you indefinitely so long as you care for it. The synthetic pads will need to be replaced every so often, but they're cheaper.

Personally I use my merino for the upper 1/3rd of the vehicle and use a standard 9x9 for the lower sections. Always seems like there is some trace amount of tar or nastiness down there so if my synthetic pad its no big deal.

Dylan - you are always so honest. Thanks for that.

Besides the longevity...it's all in what you like to use. What do you like the feel of sliding across your paint? I like both and alternate between the two, depending on how I feel that day. But like Dylan, and alot of the guys on here, I'm not a fan of the premium wash mitt hitting the lower panels. Maybe a mental thing, or that thing is so darn thick, the scrubbing ability is limited compared to a wash pad.

Besides the longevity...it's all in what you like to use. What do you like the feel of sliding across your paint? I like both and alternate between the two, depending on how I feel that day. But like Dylan, and alot of the guys on here, I'm not a fan of the premium wash mitt hitting the lower panels. Maybe a mental thing, or that thing is so darn thick, the scrubbing ability is limited compared to a wash pad.

noted ;) thanks

I do exactly like Dylan does and had very little swirls after one washing season of using the mitt on my upper 1/3rd. I think its very very soft and safe for the paint and cant be matched in that catagory. I also use the jumbos for the bottom for the dirt reason.

I do similar, I use the Merino on the top 2/3rds. and the 9x9 for the lower 1/3rd.:thumbsup:

Wool for the vette and pads for the truck, but I like the idea of using a pad for the bottom 1/3rd. I'll give that a try next time :thumbsup:

Does the Vette ever get dirty? :D

I'm with Dylan on this one... The wash pads tend to look like a Rastafarian after a few washes, where as a natural fiber will continue looking new for many many washes as long as they're cared for.

I ALWAYS get some type of tar or oil on my pads from the windows down, but on a DD, that's to be expected. I personally like the Jumbos.

Chris

Does anyone brush out their mitts and pads? If so do you use a comb, hair brush, or what do get out particles that could be deep in the pad?

There's a thread on here where someone was brushing their mitts. I personally believe that when they get to that point, they need tossed.

Make sure you're rinsing them VERY well using the grit guard to lay them on on the driveway and flush with water.

Dylan has a video of him doing this somewhere...

Chris

The videos that the Adam's team put together are great!

I found that brushing doesn't really have a long term effect in keeping the pads fibers fluffy. What has helped me the most is the process I use to dry the pads. After completing the process that is in the video posted above I do the following:

1) walk away from the clean cars at least 25 ft

2) fold the pad over and grip one end tightly

3) repeatedly fling it down towards the ground in a "golf-like" swing - keep doing this until you don't see any water coming out

4) reverse the fold on the pad and grip the other end

5) repeat the flinging process

6) unfold the pad and then lightly use your fingers to fluff up the still moist fibers

7) hold the pad by one corner in one hand, grab an adjacent corner with the other hand, and with just one hand moving, vigorously wiggle that one hand back and forth a couple inches - the entire pad will shake and the fibers will release more water and the fibers fluff

Someday I may do a video of this. I have been using the same pads for well over 80 washes and still think they look pretty darn good.

ed9ed427.jpg

My SS gets the Merino for the top 1/3. One 9x9 for the middle, and one 9x9 for the lower. When my wheels are back from the painter, they will have a dedicated Merino Wool Mit for just them.

I don't brush out my pads. I know that when they begin to look dreadlocked, time to get a couple more. I do however, when I correct a car, if it's my own, before I wash it again, I make sure I have brand new wash pads. Peace of mind.

Mook

I'm not talking about them getting all matted, but more to get out dirt and stuff deep down. I use high pressure water to rinse them after I'm done washing to get all of the soap out and everything, but I feel like not even that will remove everything. What I'm asking is what do people use to brush the dirt out, as an extra peace of mind thing, not to keep them fluffy.

I'm not talking about them getting all matted, but more to get out dirt and stuff deep down. I use high pressure water to rinse them after I'm done washing to get all of the soap out and everything, but I feel like not even that will remove everything. What I'm asking is what do people use to brush the dirt out, as an extra peace of mind thing, not to keep them fluffy.

Its gonna be hard to get a fine comb or brush (fine enough to grab small particles) deep enough into the pad without snagging/ripping fibers.

I have a new method I've dubbed "pad flooding" that I'm going to shoot a video on as soon as the rain here lets up. I've found its the best way to get stuff out from the deepest parts of the mitts without much work.

Personally, I like mine during the colder weather because the inner lining is 1 piece and can stay virtually water proof inside there, keeping your hand nice and toasty

I have arm pit high water proof and insulated gloves for that weather! :banana: