Customer Service 866.965.0400

Something is causing botchiness????

cfiiman

Question

Hi all, I was getting my car ready for the annual huge car show Horses and Horsepower yesterday. After washing and claying I used brilliant glaze followed by buttery wax. When I got the car to the show and it was out in the sun the paint looked like only what i can describe as blotchy. It was like certain areas had a deeper ,wetter look then others which creates a very undesirable look, like the paint is almost greasy or something. I thought ok, no problem and whipped out the trusty detail spray, well that made the problem worse :help: I was really nervous then bc rubbing it did nothing at a normal pressure, the only thing that worked was rubbing the paint very hard and for a long period of time to get the blotchiness to I guess blend away. By the time I was done I thought my arms were going to fall off lol. Just not sure what was going on, it has happened before but I think washing the car does the blending a lot for me, but I still dont like having to go through this. Does anyone have any idea what was going on? Because of my prep work there was nothing on the paint except the buttery and glaze. I do love the shine this stuff creates though, in fact I won "best in class" and everyone wanted to know what I used to get my paint so wet looking, I pushed Adams hard lol! Anyway this is truly bothering me bc I dont read about this happening to anyone else, thanks for any help!

987a7fdc.jpg

ed2b108f.jpg

423641f6.jpg

Thanks for the reply, seems weird though bc the directions on buttery state that you should use the detail spray if it is difficult to remove, so not sure, I was thinking maybe the glaze didn't dry fully or something before applying the wax????

Edited by cfiiman

Weird! I used this exact combo las weekend and saw none of the blotchiness of which you speak. What is your exact process? Environmental conditions? Etc... With more details, the guys here can better help you discover the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is weird, here are my steps:

1 wash car 2 bucket method

2 dry car

3 if needed clay bar

4 if clayed then swirl and haze followed by fine machine polish and wiped down with detail spray followed by another wash

5 brilliant glaze

6 buttery wax

Thats it. Not sure about humidity, would a high humidity cause this? If so I would imagine more people would have it happen to them. Only thing I can think of is that the brilliant glaze somehow reacted with the wax because maybe it hadn't fully cured or something I put the wax on almost immediately following the glaze. Unless maybe im not getting all the polish off, but I wash the car before the final glaze so I dont think that is it?

Not likely as I keep them inside the house set at 76*, this is a stumper I guess.

Funny thing I just remembered is that this same kind of thing happened on my dd Honda when I used a spray on wax, very similar results, just a blotchy awful mess, that car was black.

Edited by cfiiman

I'm going to try washing the car again and then just do the glaze then wait till the next day and do the wax or is there no reason you should have to wait? We'll see what happens I guess anyone else have any thoughts?

My thought may be valid, I just found this post on Rennslist, similar issue with different products though seems the cure was waiting for the first later to make sure it is cured completely:

Blotchy/cloudy paint after glaze and carnauba, RESOLVED! - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Edited by cfiiman

First Congrats! Did you shake up your BG before and during use?

And did you apply a thin even coat?

We posted at the same time, please see post above. To answer your question, yes I shook often and I think I applied in a thin even coat. Maybe humidity did have a part to play, I dont know but I know this has happened everytime to some degree, it is just this time maybe since it was fresh and hadn't been washed after the applications it just looked worse, not sure.

Edited by cfiiman

In your original post you didn't mention fine machine polish but in a later post talking about your process you mentioned fine machine polish after the claying. Did you use the polish? When I use the fine machine polish I have to be careful to remove all the polish and its oils before proceding and check for a perfect finish at this point.

I haven't had any issues with brilliant glaze reacting with the wax, but I don't have much experience with the buttery wax.

:cheers:

In your original post you didn't mention fine machine polish but in a later post talking about your process you mentioned fine machine polish after the claying. Did you use the polish? When I use the fine machine polish I have to be careful to remove all the polish and its oils before proceding and check for a perfect finish at this point.

I haven't had any issues with brilliant glaze reacting with the wax, but I don't have much experience with the buttery wax.

:cheers:

I did use the polish on some parts of the car that needed it but not the whole car, but even panels that didnt have polish had the issue. Seems like it is an isolated problem with me, which leads me to think I need to give the glaze more time to cure or even not use the glaze at first and apply after waxing maybe, I'p don't know, it is frustrating. :lolsmack:

How many coats of wax did you have on the car? I've read that having more than 3 will cause cloudiness. I haven't experienced it seeing as how the most I've had is two, but maybe?

I only wax after polishing, so there only should be 1 really, bc the polishing should remove any prior coats right?

I misspoke earlier. I used brilliant glaze with Americana- not buttery.

But, I did notice you said you only polished parts of the car? Is it possible that maybe not all of the previous wax was removed? I know you Clayed but maybe if you didn't do a strip wash and/or an IPA wipedown, there could have been old product left on the finish?

I know I stripped the entire car with both a strip wash then I did an IPA WIPEDOWN, then I Clayed the whole car. And then I polished the whole car. I did not wash after polishing, just wiped FMP off, used revive on the entire care then went straight to brilliant glaze, then finally wax! Whew!

After re-reading the thread I am really beginning to wonder if the claying process removed all of your old wax. May have removed most of it where you were really put on the pressure but not everywhere. I would suggest a strip wash(with APC SHAMPOO MIX) and an IPA wipedown and re-applying the glaze and buttery.

There should be no reason to wait for the glaze to cure before applying the wax so I think that is a dead end.

After re-reading the thread I am really beginning to wonder if the claying process removed all of your old wax. May have removed most of it where you were really put on the pressure but not everywhere. I would suggest a strip wash(with APC SHAMPOO MIX) and an IPA wipedown and re-applying the glaze and buttery.

There should be no reason to wait for the glaze to cure before applying the wax so I think that is a dead end.

I'm with Craig on the IPA wipedown. I would suggest a re-wash (just Car Wash Shampoo), then wipe one of the blotchy panels with IPA. Reapply the BG, then the wax, and inspect.

I only wax after polishing, so there only should be 1 really, bc the polishing should remove any prior coats right?

I don't think so... I'm pretty sure it just spreads the wax around. The polish is an oily substance and wax and oils don't play nice.

Maybe this is the culprit?

Hmmmm thanks guys I think you all are on to something, as soon as I get a chance Ill do a rewash and a ipa wipe down and see what happens, I'll report back as soon as I do it, thanks!!!

I have had this problem every time I've applied for some reason I never gave much thought to it due to the fact that I have done it in direct sunlight every time and thought that was the issue but I have no shade where I am at

I have done a strip wash clay and then another strip wash maybe it's not enough apc or I guess really no idea

I just have parts that are darker and unless extreme hard and fast rubbing on those spots they will not come off..maybe due to direct sun or maybe a thin layer I usually get it after applying aqs or any wax

User fault I guess any tips

I have had this problem every time I've applied for some reason I never gave much thought to it due to the fact that I have done it in direct sunlight every time and thought that was the issue but I have no shade where I am at

I have done a strip wash clay and then another strip wash maybe it's not enough apc or I guess really no idea

I just have parts that are darker and unless extreme hard and fast rubbing on those spots they will not come off..maybe due to direct sun or maybe a thin layer I usually get it after applying aqs or any wax

User fault I guess any tips

Hallelujah! Someone else has the same problem, I knew I wasn't crazy! I think there is something to the IPA thing, I went out tonight and took the back fender and used IPA on it really good, then BG and BW as usual. It was getting dark so I could not check the outside test but what I did notice "different" was pretty big I think. Right now, and for as long as I have had the products on my car, if I rub the paint with a soft microfiber towel it will cause a brief, "halo cloud" greasy type sheen to appear in the reflection of the lights in my garage, if I stop rubbing it will vanish after a few seconds. I know this is not right but never paid it much thought. Well it seems to not do it on the panel I did tonight with IPA, so I don't know if that is something or not, I'll have to wait to get it out in the sunlight to see if there is any blotchiness after the IPA.

It seems to me like the old wax or sealant wasn't removed, so you are layering on top of for lack of a better word, old crap.

Mix in 3-4oz. of APC into your Car Shampoo mixture, and start over. You won't/shouldn't need to clay, as this wash is meant to strip all the crap off and start with a clean slate. ANYTIME you polish, you need to clay and strip the old stuff off first. Strip wash, then clay, to be more specific.

Let us know what happens.

Mook

I have a similar issue from time to time on my brilliant black paint. I've deduced it's almost always related to temperature/humidity/sunlight issues when applying some of the product. Many times after washing the car and finishing and getting to a detail spray wipe down the product almost smears a bit and i'll come back a couple minutes later and see the darker areas. Same thing I have to rub hard to get it off but it comes off. This is usually if the paint seems warm or its towards night and the humidity is up.

But there also is a lot to be said to do a IPA wipe down after you finish polishing to get all the polish residue off prior to putting on some wax or other product.