Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay bar

Tkosinski2

Question

So lately I've been getting a lot of people saying that clay baring a car removes clear coat and I tell them it doesnt but they don't believe me so I figured I'd come on here and maybe get a definate answer from the guys who do this all the time. I read te sticky and it didn't say anything definate about this subject. I really want something that maybe I can print out to show people the truth even if it does which from what I've read it doesn't.......or does it?

My friend told me that he didn't want to clay bar his new car cause it'll ruin his pain. I was like......did it get trucked in? And he said yes. I was like ten you should feel the paint after a good wash and I bet you it needs it. He said it did feel ruff but refuses to clay bar it because his dad who's an auto mechanic said that it'll ruin his nice black paint.

18 answers to this question

Welcome Tadeusz!

I have not heard this one before. The clay bar will remove contamination, and can mar the clearcoat, but this can be easily fixed with one of the polishes. The machine polishes WILL remove clearcoat (although a minuscule amount) because that's how they work.

From the store website - Adam's Detailing Clay Bar - Best Detail Clay

Adam's Detailing Clay Bar will remove those stubborn bonded contaminants, make your paint super smooth, and prep it for polishing your paint.

Adam's Detailing Clay Bar is the fast, easy and safe way to remove bonded contamination from your car's clear coat finish. It cleans and smoothes automotive paint, glass and chrome without harsh abrasives. Plus, regular use of a detail clay bar is faster than abrasive polishing or chemical cleaners.

An Adam's Detailing Clay Bar is the right tool to use to remove paint over spray, factory fallout, brake dust, iron specs, diesel soot, bonded bug remains, fine tree sap particles, insect droppings, and more. In fact, just about any fine particle that bonds to your car's paint can be safely removed with Adams Detailing Clay Bar.

I've been using clay bars for over 10 years and all they have ever done is make the paint feel and look better, I have never repeat NEVER seen any type of damage on any of the vehicles I have used a clay bar to help clean the paint.

I'm in Torrance. I've told them time and time again valuing only helps the paint an they for some reason refuse to let me use it on there cars. It's really quiet annoying cause I know I can make there cars so much nicer

Nope, it doesn't remove the clear coat in any significant way. They should be more worried about the polish removing clear coat. Also, when you clay, you don't have to lean into the clay like you are grinding the clear coat with the clay. A gentle wipe back and forth with the clay patty does the work, and ( I believe) causes less marring that has to be removed later. I think the clay works more in a shearing motion, peeling the embedded particles out of the clear. At least that's my two cents. I still have clear on my black paint, and you know it would show it right away if it wore through the clear.

These people who think clay removes clear must be smoking some good stuff!

^^Exactly ..LOL!!

been using it for well over 10 years.. no issues and people love it when they feel their paint afterwards.

Show them this video, and ask them, if it hurt your paint do you think they would do it on this car? And notice it is black. I highly doubt that dealership would let Adam use their cars on their showroom floor if claying damaged the finish.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4eYfMxuNZY]Adam's Polishes Vol. 7 - Chapter 11 - Detail Claying Your Car - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by LFairbanks

There are different grades of clay bar. Body shops do have aggressive clay bars available to them that need to be used by people who know what they are doing. What Adam's sells is the fine grade of clay bar that is safe for anyone to use. The only thing you can do with the Adam's clay bar that would do damage is drop it on the ground (so it picks up large grit) and then rub that around on the paint. An Adam's clay bar used on your washed paint will not damage the clear coat in any way. Some people have even posted videos of using a lot of pressure and SCRUBBING the paint with the clay. This will introduce some very very light micro marring (the marring being caused not so much by the clay but by the grit that the clay has picked up from the paint). But when followed up with polishing can make the entire correction process go just a little bit faster. If you aren't following up with polishing then be sure to use the clay lightly and, as always, be sure to constantly fold the clay in as shown in the videos.

Following Adam's instructions, I have never seen nor heard of anyone having any damage caused by the clay. Clay is a necessary part of CORRECTING damaged/abused clear, it will not cause damage.

If you friend doesn't want you to clay his car, then you just need to allow him to have his thoughts/feelings on this. Just let his envy grow of how good your car's paint looks and feels. Maybe someday in the future he will change his mind, but if not, that is still fine. We can try to educate, but we can't save them all. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Edited by DaveVY

Yeah that pretty much my thoughts as well. I've kinda given up on trying to convince him about it but when I go over to wax his car I feel so bad cause it could be so much nicer if he just listened. I'm hoping if I print this out with everyone saying it won't that maybe he will rethink claying.

There ARE different "grits" of clay and some ARE pretty aggressive. Adams clay is pretty tame so I wouldn't worry about it removing clear, but if you got aggressive enough with it, I suppose it cold remove clear. We'd be talking microns here though. Personally, I've used clay for probably 15 years with NO issues.

Chris

These people who think clay removes clear must be smoking some good stuff!

^^Exactly ..LOL!!

been using it for well over 10 years.. no issues and people love it when they feel their paint afterwards.

The clay or ......:lolsmack:

Is this really a thing? I don't recall ever running into anyone who thought this. But, my experience with some people is that you shouldn't try to convince them otherwise. No amount of logic and reason will change their mind. They're going to believe what they are going to believe without regard to validity.

Any 'consumer grade' clay bar is going to be fine grade... which is absolutely NON-ABRASIVE. Save for only the super aggressive body shop bars all claying is a non-abrasive process.

Without abrasives there is absolutely no way for it to 'remove clear coat' so it sounds like your friend is making some assumptions based on bad info or just lack of understanding.

As stated above multiple times, traditional (not professional-grade) clay does not remove clearcoat. It removes impurities that are stuck in the clear-coat. You will get micromarring occasionally from clay, but that is easily removed by polish.

Bottom line is that clay is an absolute must in your detailing regimen. It forms the basis of a mirror-like finish.