Customer Service 866.965.0400

If you are not happy with my country...

Nascar36

I don't remember much from my high school days ( don't ask why, that is a long story ), but I got up this morning and remembered a paper I once wrote on Walt Disney ( yes, it was one of the few I wrote and handed in). Anyway, Walt was getting his hair cut in a small town barber shop, the same small town he grew up in and visited all of his life. A group of men were in the shop and they were all talking. While Walt was *in the chair, one of the men waiting his turn was complaining about all of the trouble in our country, people, politicians, economy, war, poor leadership, on and on this man went on. Walt later wrote " I sat in that damn chair, kept quiet until the barber finished with me, I got up, paid him, put on my hat jacket". " I walked up to this guy, and spoke quietly to him. I am sorry you hate my country so much, but I am a generous person he said. I have enough money in my pocket to send you anywhere you want to go, you and your family. The only thing I ask, he said, you can never come back to my country, EVER! Now , he said, how much is it going to cost me to get you out this country that you hate so much. Walt wrote, everyone in the shop was quiet, waiting for this mans response. The man just starred back at Walt and his opened wallet. Then he just got up and left. Walt said he never saw the man again, but the barber told Walt on visits after that the guy would call when he needed his hair cut to make sure Walt was not in the shop. A story I will always remember and taught me a little about what being a American is all about.

Happy Birthday America!:patriot:

So being American is about being a jerk bully and throwing your money around in other peoples faces? I mean I've always heard Walt Disney was a prick but I had no idea.

I always hate these type of people who say "if you don't like the country move somewhere else." Which is the exact opposite philosophy America was founded on. The idea is if you don't like it, change it with your vote. Not if you like it then you can get the heck out. Another great principal of America is freedom of speech, aka the freedom to complain about America. It's a wonderful thing. You never know someone else might actually have a good idea.

Some people in this country need to learn that it's ok to disagree. If someone doesn't think the same as you, believe the same as you, worship the same god as you, doesn't make as much money as you, etc that IT'S OK. It doesn't make them bad, it makes them different. Different is what got America here, different is what will get America through the next 250 years. If America were based only one sides opinions, ideas, and actions then it would be just like the monarchy we broke away from. That would suck.

What America needs is a healthy dose of open-mindedness. I'm pretty sick and tired of people who claim to be patriots telling me that I should move to Canada because I want a better health care system or that I'm not a "real Christian" because I'm Catholic and not some evangelical cult member. If America does fail, which it will not, it will be because of close mindedness and intolerance. A truly great man, not some anti semetic, racist, cartoon maker once said "a house divided can not stand." He got it. So the next time you are listening to some looney toon on Fox News, MSNBC, or wherever you get your hyperbole and propaganda remember they don't care about America, they only care about your money. Out here in real America things are shades of gray, not blue and red, left and right, or liberal and conservative. People out there when the times get tough work together, compromise, and move forward. Not divide and conquer.

That's real America.

So being American is about being a jerk bully and throwing your money around in other peoples faces? I mean I've always heard Walt Disney was a prick but I had no idea.

I always hate these type of people who say "if you don't like the country move somewhere else." Which is the exact opposite philosophy America was founded on. The idea is if you don't like it, change it with your vote. Not if you like it then you can get the heck out. Another great principal of America is freedom of speech, aka the freedom to complain about America. It's a wonderful thing. You never know someone else might actually have a good idea.

Some people in this country need to learn that it's ok to disagree. If someone doesn't think the same as you, believe the same as you, worship the same god as you, doesn't make as much money as you, etc that IT'S OK. It doesn't make them bad, it makes them different. Different is what got America here, different is what will get America through the next 250 years. If America were based only one sides opinions, ideas, and actions then it would be just like the monarchy we broke away from. That would suck.

What America needs is a healthy dose of open-mindedness. I'm pretty sick and tired of people who claim to be patriots telling me that I should move to Canada because I want a better health care system or that I'm not a "real Christian" because I'm Catholic and not some evangelical cult member. If America does fail, which it will not, it will be because of close mindedness and intolerance. A truly great man, not some anti semetic, racist, cartoon maker once said "a house divided can not stand." He got it. So the next time you are listening to some looney toon on Fox News, MSNBC, or wherever you get your hyperbole and propaganda remember they don't care about America, they only care about your money. Out here in real America things are shades of gray, not blue and red, left and right, or liberal and conservative. People out there when the times get tough work together, compromise, and move forward. Not divide and conquer.

That's real America.

I agree with everything you said there , but I don't think Disney was being a jerk -- I think he was just trying to make a point to the guy -- i.e., would you really want to be anywhere else?

That's real America.

When I first saw this thread it somewhat bothered me. I was going to post something along the lines that apparently in order to be a true patriot you aren't allowed to acknowledge that our country can use some serious improvement and that you need to have a "we're better than everyone at everything" attitude. I just let it go though because I didn't want to stir things up on a holiday. Now that you've posted this though I completely agree with you. I love this country and there's nowhere else I'd rather live. And I can say that having been to more foreign countries than I have US states, so I've seen what it's like in other parts of the world. What we don't need here are the people saying, "If you don't like it, get out." What we do need are people who acknowledge the problems and want to improve things. Yes, it could be much worse elsewhere, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to improve our living conditions just because we're better off than, say Djibouti for example. I really hope this country starts turning around for the better, because we sure need it. :patriot:

American's do not understand how good we have it...until you set foot in a third world country! I found this out when my ship pulled into Hai Phong, Vietnam (North). And i wouldn't be too quick to say we will never fail. Throughout history every great civilization collapsed. Now i hope this doesn't happen. I also believe "freedom of speech" is taken for granted and people think they can say what they want to whom ever. The term "if you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all" seems to have been erased from folks minds. Patriotism from my point of view is a foot step away from a cliff!

I absolutely agree that if you don't like it in the USA.........then go! Don't try to destroy it, don't blow up buildings and kill the children, don't shoot the president, don't burn the flag......just go. And on your way out stop and thank a veteran for giving you the FREEDOM to leave the country without anyone stopping you.

Because this is the most free, best damn country in the world and I for one am proud to be an American. For better...or for worse.

I absolutely agree that if you don't like it in the USA.........then go! Don't try to destroy it, don't blow up buildings and kill the children, don't shoot the president, don't burn the flag......just go. And on your way out stop and thank a veteran for giving you the FREEDOM to leave the country without anyone stopping you.

Because this is the most free, best damn country in the world and I for one am proud to be an American. For better...or for worse.

Yeah if your not happy with it and their is nothing you can do you should roll out. But, our Constitution is being used against us by outside entities. I do not believe their is a Country out there that has all the freedoms we have.

How do you get wanting to make our country a better place equating to blowing up buildings and killing children? Just because someone complains about the current state of our government they should go somewhere else? I'm not leaving this country because like I said, I've been to other countries and there's no place I'd rather live. But to think there's no room for improvement one would have to be blind.

Open mindedness is fine. As long as you're not so open minded that your brains fall out. Theres a difference between criticism and constructive criticism. If you don't like it here, leave, or shut up and do something to help make it better.

Walt was just doing the same as the other individual. Exercising his right to free speech.

I'm tired of whiny people that just want to sit around and complain without doing anything constructive.

If your kids acted that way about your home, you would make them the same offer.

Edited by GXPaycheck

You don't have to like everything about America. You don't have to love America. If you dislike more than you like you can either change things or find a better place to live. I have traveled to many countries while serving in the military and I have not found any that I would rather live in than my country. It's not perfect here but neither is anyplace else on earth. I think Walt made a generous offer to somebody that didn't know how well off he was.

Open mindedness is fine. As long as you're not so open minded that your brains fall out. Theres a difference between criticism and constructive criticism. If you don't like it here, leave, or shut up and do something to help make it better.

Walt was just doing the same as the other individual. Exercising his right to free speech.

I'm tired of whiny people that just want to sit around and complain without doing anything constructive.

If your kids acted that way about your home, you would make them the same offer.

Yeah I'm real tired of the tea baggers crying and complaining all the time I wish they'd leave. Just like I'm tired of all the jobless college kids hanging out in the parks crying and complain all the time. I wish they'd leave too. There are too many people crying because the President isn't from their political party, or because the House is of the other political party or whatever.

As far as I'm concerned there are no differences between Glenn Beck and Kieth Olberman. They both are just extremist douchebags that ***** a lot. Which is ironic since they are both ridiculously wealthy. I find the left and the right have a lot in common, mostly that they suck.

Anyway there is ALOT wrong with America and I'm not leaving, if you don't like it you can come vote this fall like I will to vote for whatever it is you want. America might be great, but it's far from perfect and we should always strive for perfect.

Well, I remember the first time I saw a bumper sticker on a 1995 F-150 saying "If you don't like America, get the hell out" and I thought to myself that bumper sticker is ignorant. Disliking something is the key to change, the reason you would go and change or fix a rusty wheel or paint (since we are on the Adams forum) is because you don't like it, when you don't like the scratches, the swirls and faded color of your paint, you start getting down and dirty and fix that paint and finally when you're done and your paint look like it was on day 1, you brag here and everywhere with 50/50, before and after pictures. That's exactly what we need, we need to dislike the fact that our government is not working for us, we need to dislike that our jobs (yes, manufacturing and all, even the low paying ones) are being outsourced while we have a stubborn 8.2% unemployment rate (not adjusted for discouraged applicants and temporary workers), we have to dislike the fact that we are shipping cash by the pallets to Iraq and Afghanistan to help "support" them while we are running a deficit by the trillions. Yes, we have to dislike the fact that we spend tons of money on countries that hate us while we have roads going to New York City that are falling apart! America is our country, someone suggesting that you should leave America because they heard you complaining about it is like hearing you complaining about how hard it is to take care of your kid and some jerk suggest " hey, why don't you leave your kid and bounce". Now, complaining without action is what I don't like, in other words looking at your ugly paint and ranting about it then you go to sleep is what I don't like, I say complain and help fix in any way you can but complain and sleep is just stupid!

Yeah I'm real tired of the tea baggers ...

I find that term extremely offensive. It definitely has no purpose other than to incite hatred to those whose views differ from the user. It is used as a slang term for supporters of the Tea Party movement. It is offensive because of it's origin and for the way in which it used.

From Dictionary.com:

teabagger

[tee-bag-er]

tea·bag·ger

  [tee-bag-er] Show IPA

1. ( often initial capital letter ) Slang: Usually Disparaging and Offensive . a member of the Tea Party, a conservative political movement in the U.S. Origin: so called because the tea party asked Americans to mail tea bags to Washington as a protest in April 2009

2. Slang . a person who tea-bags a sexual partner. Origin: so called from the resemblance of the sexual practice to dipping a tea bag in a cup of hot water

Read what Rolling Stone writer Matt Taibbi had to say about this term and it's connotations.

Michelle Malkin » Dear Oxford University Press: Get a clue about “teabagging”

There are plenty more, Bing or Google at your convenience.

If you don't like it work to change it nascar. After all we live in a Democracy don't we? Well maybe friendly fascist leaning.

Ah no. We don't live in a Democracy.

We live in a Constitutional Republic, governed by the rule of law.

Yeah I'm real tired of the tea baggers crying and complaining all the time I wish they'd leave. Just like I'm tired of all the jobless college kids hanging out in the parks crying and complain all the time. I wish they'd leave too. There are too many people crying because the President isn't from their political party, or because the House is of the other political party or whatever.

As far as I'm concerned there are no differences between Glenn Beck and Kieth Olberman. They both are just extremist douchebags that ***** a lot. Which is ironic since they are both ridiculously wealthy. I find the left and the right have a lot in common, mostly that they suck.

Anyway there is ALOT wrong with America and I'm not leaving, if you don't like it you can come vote this fall like I will to vote for whatever it is you want. America might be great, but it's far from perfect and we should always strive for perfect.

Those "Teabaggers" you so eloquently defined, are the ones out trying to conserve our Constitution. The very one that gives you your rights.

Because we all know, that reduced spending, lower taxes, a federal government operating within it's Constitutional limits, individual freedom and liberty is so terrible, right?

Something so terrible as that warrants calling someone a "Teabagger"

Possibly you could take some time to understand what the Tea Party is all about instead of throwing out hyperbole and strawmen? Maybe only then it would help you elect a different type of politician to help your state's dire economic situation?

Edited by AngryPolska

So...what's the over/under on how many more posts before someone closes this thread?

lol....that will happen soon, although I don't see the problem in keeping it open as long as the conversation will stay civilized and not turn into partisan jibber jabber

I was going to post a smart a$$ remark like "hey, just like this thread. If you don't like it...........leave". But I won't do that. I'm too nice a guy.:D

I find this thread very interesting. So here is my theoretical question; if your life, or that of your family, your home or your possessions were under threat of destruction, would you try to save them? I'm sure most people would if the destroying element was a criminal actor behaving outside the bounds of law. What if the destroyer was an agent of the government itself? Perhaps even acting within the bounds of the law but still about to remove your liberty and destroy all you hold dear. Would you fight back or just let it happen?

Sent from my iPad2 using magic and alchemy.

I'll go ahead and remind everyone after all, this is a Forum for Support of Adam's Premium Car Care Products. America is a beautiful thing. We are free to speak and voice our opinions most anywhere. Please, I understand this thread will have many differing points of view. I want to ask that you think twice and then once more before you type anything else in this thread.

We are all here for a common goal and interest...the love and passion of making our vehicle melt the faces of those who walk and drive next to us. Remember that part.

Thank You,

Mook

So...what's the over/under on how many more posts before someone closes this thread?

We as Mods don't try to close threads as long as everyone is getting along. :grouphug:

The Threads that cause confrontations and bickering are the ones that get closed. Sometimes later than sooner. ;)

Well,I posted this on the 4th of July as I thought it would be a interesting topic becuase of the holiday. In no way was is meant to be political, mean spirited, or anything other than a paper I wrote in high school about one of the greatest, kind hearted, talented Americans of our time ( in my opinion ). I guess the meaning is different to different people, but to me all it meant was we will in the greatest country in the world. Walt had a great deal of love for his country and would never want to live anywere else. There was no hidden meaning in this post other than that. I am sorry some people may have read more into it.

:patriot: