Customer Service 866.965.0400

SVRT vs. Rain-and the Winner is...

BRZN

Question

Saturday I washed the wifes car and applied SVRT to the tires, trim and all the plastic body cladding. Sure looked nice.

IMG_5289resize.jpg

Sunday late afternoon, there was a thunderstorm heading towards us with nowhere to hide, this car is outside 24/7. Check out the clouds over the roof and left side of the house. I'd not moved it since I'd washed it and treated the tires/trim/etc...

IMG_5285resize.jpg

Figured I'd see how the SVRT holds up to the rain. Here's the right rear corner before the storm:

IMG_5287resize.jpg

Well it ended up being pretty uneventful as we barely got hit by the storm

IMG_5290resize.jpg

The amount of rain that hit us didn't do anything to the SVRT, it stood the test of the short lived storm.

Overnight we did get hit with a pretty good couple of storms.

IMG_5293resize.jpg

An inch and 2/10ths in the rain gauge at first light.

The SVRT seems to have run and left streaks after that amount of rain.

IMG_5294resize.jpg

Holly had to leave for work before I got the chance to wipe the plastic cladding down, and this is what it looked like when she returned later that same afternoon:

IMG_5295resize.jpg

The last picture here is what the plastic cladding looked like after I quickly wiped it down with an old microfiber towel: no more SVRT was applied just evened out with the towel.

IMG_5296resize.jpg

The blotchy spots are from the sun shining through the trees over my shoulder.

The winner, SVRT!

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

to me it looks blotchy/dull in places. A couple months back I applied IUC and it looked great..until this day I haven't had to apply anymore coats or products to the rear difuser.

This is after I applied it 2 months ago

7f666272.jpg

And this is it today...Car is dirty..haven't washed it in 2 weeks. I personally like IUC on my plastic then SVRT. SVRT left my plastic looking good in some places and blotchy/dull in others

a43e6bff.jpg

i have had no luck with the svrt on tires or on plastic molding. turns the tires brown after two days and leaves the molding blotchy.

I gave my svrt away and will not purchase more.

I haven't seen brown on my tires since using SVRT. Just don't see that one happening.

to me it looks blotchy/dull in places.

Seriously?

Did you not read the last complete sentence after the last picture?

The blotchy spots are from the sun shining through the trees over my shoulder.

Too bad you couldn't see it in person.

I believe the IUD has silicone in it. Sure it stays around longer than the SVRT, that's due to what it's made up of and why it's recommended for wheel wells. Due to the silicone it'll also attract more dust and road debris to turn your wash mit a nice greasy black the next time you wash the vehicle. May as well go back to Armor-All guys.

I'm not looking for a product to apply to my tires, trim and plastic cladding that lasts as long as a coat of wax does to the finish, just for a wash or two. I still have two bottles of the old VRT I use on the GTO as I want it off each time I wash the car. The more water soluble, the better: less chance of staining.

Oh, and I agree with koebot, no brown tires with the SVRT. zxgto06, you may still have some of a past products silicone on your tires that's showing brown as the SVRT wears/washes off. One of the members of the SVGTO club I belong to has so much of a past product on his tires the SVRT actually slings off his tires once applied: it can't attach itself to the tires compound due to all the silicone.

Edited by BRZN

i have had no luck with the svrt on tires or on plastic molding. turns the tires brown after two days and leaves the molding blotchy.

I gave my svrt away and will not purchase more.

I'm, sorry you have not had a good experience. However, SVRT Will Not turn tires brown after two days. Did you clean the surfaces well with APC first? Keeping in mind anything from our competitor's will take a good 4 washings with APC to get all that residual crud and silicone off.

I'm, sorry you have not had a good experience. However, SVRT Will Not turn tires brown after two days. Did you clean the surfaces well with APC first? Keeping in mind anything from our competitor's will take a good 4 washings with APC to get all that residual crud and silicone off.

You beat me to it Mook. I would also make sure you are not using an applicator that may also have some build up in it from prior products that could be causing it to turn brown. Other than that scrub scrub scrub with APC really well.

Glad to hear people like it. I'm not trying to start a war, im just sayin IN MY OPINION there are much better products out there than the svrt. I am however a fan of 90% of the other Adams line up, just not the svrt!

From a vendor perspective there is a good reason to have SVRT have a lack of longevity, which doesn't match my goals for the use of a trim (or tire) dressing. Of course for those that don't have longevity as a goal, load up on a gallon of SVRT and go to town!

I would also posit various surfaces/composites/materials will allow SVRT to penetrate better, thus making its "dwelling" properties variable...

I have had some success with longevity on TIRES with SVRT by topping with QS... but my goal is to find a single product that meets my longevity needs...

Happy detailing,

Mike

Glad to hear people like it. I'm not trying to start a war, im just sayin IN MY OPINION there are much better products out there than the svrt. I am however a fan of 90% of the other Adams line up, just not the svrt!

I know you aren't. Its a fact however, SVRT when properly applied, doesn't 'suntan' tires.

Shine On!

Mook

Yea but apparently it does streak after getting wet once!

IMHO that is not a product I would use if I was a detailer w / clients.

I personally use a different product. I have a bottle of SVRT but won't be

using it after reading alot of post on how it does not last.

Kinda stinks!

Watch it.... This is Adams cult, not Adams forrums. You can't talk about not liking one of the products in here..

:king:

I had a feeling I would hear from someone! :pc:

I do LOVE the other products!

If there is concern or doubt using any of the Adam's products and how the will perform and does not want to be exposed to the forum they can contact the staff at Adam's directly for and advice/tips. Whether it be PM'ing Dylan, Mook, or calling/IM'img with Ashley or Lynn, and of course even reaching out to Adam himself, all of them will be willing to help.

Should the product not be performing to ones liking also remember Adam's has a 110% satisfaction guarantee.

Now back to BRZN, great write up on your results. By chance did you wipe down everything after the first application of SVRT before the rain? I find that helps when using SVRT on large areas such as this.

When are you going to start on the undercarriage now? :D

Yea but apparently it does streak after getting wet once!

IMHO that is not a product I would use if I was a detailer w / clients.

I personally use a different product. I have a bottle of SVRT but won't be

using it after reading alot of post on how it does not last.

Kinda stinks!

The streaking only seems to occur on certain plastics. It seems some plastics don't have the necessary roughness or texture to allow the SVRT to hold without streaking.

I have used the SVRT on many different vehicle's plastics and with only a couple exceptions have had no water streaking. I have found (generalizing here) that the smoother the plastic the less SVRT is needed and have to be sure to wipe it off with a towel (on a couple plastics I even resorted to using a terry cloth towel to remove as much of the excess as possible). At this point I don't believe that I have any more water streaking occurring, at least not that I have been made aware of. :)

Sorry to hear that some of you haven't been able to make SVRT satisfactorily work with your vehicle's plastics, though I understand that the plastics that are used on each car are quite different and need to be treated a little differently.

In terms of the brown tire effect... I experienced that when I first started using Adam's products. I stuck with it and have since learned and have seen repeatedly now that the brown is due to the prior products that were used. The other silicone based products grab and hold the dirt. And the silicone based products seem to have an affinity for holding the brownish brake dust. Switching to the Adam's SVRT, for some reason, seemed to make the brown tire effect appear even worse than it did before. To keep this from happening it will require some very good cleaning, repeated cleaning to remove ALL of the old silicone based product. Some tires are difficult to get clean (and truck tires seem to be the worst). I have found that doing a wash by spraying full strength APC (and scrubbing), then following with a wash using Dawn blue soap (scrubbing), then washing with APC again (and scrubbing) seems to normally do a good job of removing all of old silicone based product. Again, some truck tires with gobs of old silicone product might require more cleaning work. But once the old product is gone, apply SVRT and the brown tire effect will be gone too!! :2thumbs:

I think I can use it up below the front of my bumper and also rear and see how it does on that plastic. It isn't totally smooth so it probably will grab and hold.

Also DaveVY will try your suggestions on wiping it down.

Thanks

This has me thinking. Maybe like said above different textures respond differently to svrt than others as far as streaking is concerned due to the amount of product and how well the plastic holds the product. I have some spots on my truck that i have applied svrt and have no streaking. But some other spots have minimal streaking, but nothing dramatic.

Now back to BRZN, great write up on your results. By chance did you wipe down everything after the first application of SVRT before the rain? I find that helps when using SVRT on large areas such as this.

On this car, this time, I did not wipe down the lower plastic cladding after application. I had not properly maintained the exterior of this vehicle for a while so that plastic was in need of quite a bit of SVRT. I put it on pretty heavy and didn't plan to wipe it down until Sunday evening (it really needed time to soak in), well the rain beat me. I'd wiped down the mirrors and rubber trim and they were fine Monday when my wife returned home from work with it, just the lower areas needed wiped down.

I usually do go back over where I'd applied either SVRT or I&O Spray to blend and level with just an old microfiber towel.

Again, I love this stuff, I put it on customers vehicles without a second thought and have never had a complaint; and I have their return business.

This has me thinking. Maybe like said above different textures respond differently to svrt than others as far as streaking is concerned due to the amount of product and how well the plastic holds the product.

Correct, different textures will hold the product differently. The lower rear valance on the GTO does not hold SVRT very well at all.

IMG_0893resize.jpg

When I apply SVRT to it I wipe on a very thin layer and almost buff it off to get the smooth, blended appearance I desire. Since it's a pretty smooth, barely, textured surface it can accept wax too.

Edited by BRZN