Customer Service 866.965.0400

SVRT vs. Rain-and the Winner is...

BRZN

Question

Saturday I washed the wifes car and applied SVRT to the tires, trim and all the plastic body cladding. Sure looked nice.

IMG_5289resize.jpg

Sunday late afternoon, there was a thunderstorm heading towards us with nowhere to hide, this car is outside 24/7. Check out the clouds over the roof and left side of the house. I'd not moved it since I'd washed it and treated the tires/trim/etc...

IMG_5285resize.jpg

Figured I'd see how the SVRT holds up to the rain. Here's the right rear corner before the storm:

IMG_5287resize.jpg

Well it ended up being pretty uneventful as we barely got hit by the storm

IMG_5290resize.jpg

The amount of rain that hit us didn't do anything to the SVRT, it stood the test of the short lived storm.

Overnight we did get hit with a pretty good couple of storms.

IMG_5293resize.jpg

An inch and 2/10ths in the rain gauge at first light.

The SVRT seems to have run and left streaks after that amount of rain.

IMG_5294resize.jpg

Holly had to leave for work before I got the chance to wipe the plastic cladding down, and this is what it looked like when she returned later that same afternoon:

IMG_5295resize.jpg

The last picture here is what the plastic cladding looked like after I quickly wiped it down with an old microfiber towel: no more SVRT was applied just evened out with the towel.

IMG_5296resize.jpg

The blotchy spots are from the sun shining through the trees over my shoulder.

The winner, SVRT!

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think you also need to keep in mind the SVRT is a dressing; it's not a paint or something that's going to permantly change the appearance of the trim; likewise is not it something that will damage/degrade the plastic (like an oil-based product or something Armor-All will do). I put SVRT on the tires and trim KNOWING that after a few weeks in the sun or after a good rain I'm likely going to need to re-apply it.

Complaining that it doesn't last is like complaining that your lawn always grows back after you mow it. :lolsmack:

Complaining that it doesn't last is like complaining that your lawn always grows back after you mow it. :lolsmack:

Or it expresses a legitimate issue with a product. As is usual, it is wise to consider ALL alternatives and choose the product that works for YOU. I con't think it's realistic to expect Adams to produce the BEST in ALL product categories, given the resources and focus of competitive companies/products... again, if it works for you, continue to use whatever makes you happy!

Happy detailing,

Mike

Or like I stated in his thread, "SVRT streaking":

After a few days and a heavy rain or two my car actually gets dirty again and has water spots! I'm thinking there's a problem with the car wash soap, maybe even the Americana?

Anyways, this thread was created by me to simply show that the product works for me. The thread was not created for bashing it, or really anyones negative opinions. If you're intent is to call me out on it, do it in your own thread or a pm. I like the product and will continue to use it, I'm sorry some of you don't, send it back for you 110% guarantee and move on. I'm about ready to ask one of the moderators to pull the thread as it's gotten off topic.

I've always had good results with SVRT. I usually reapply it with every wash, but not because it really needs it. Sometimes I do skip a wash or two and it still looks pretty good. Even driving through the rain I've never really had streaking issues.

I'll also add that I gave some SVRT to my dad and he fell in love with it for his tires. He always hated how super shiny the OTC tire dressings looked and how they would sling all over the place. Now with the SVRT he applies it maybe once a month, and actually thinks it looks better after the first wash or two. It's not as shiny, but it still gives the tire a deep, rich look. The key is just to thoroughly clean the tires the first time to make sure you get rid of any old dressings that may have been there.

Great feedback, and I'm glad most enjoy the SVRT. Indeed, it's key to remove old silicone dressing first. That stuff will turn tires brown!

Remember, if you don't like any of our products, return them for a 110% refund. It pays to love our products, and it pays if you don't!

:thumbsup:

The only time SVRT streaks on me is the bed liner on my Ranger. I also use it on the Rangers door handles, as it helps them looking fresh and black. No problems there. Absolutely no streaking with the vinyl stripes on the Charger or turning tires brown.

I recently bought new tires for the Ranger, and the tire place coated them with that shiny greasy junk. (can't believe how black that stuff turns the tire brush). Didn't notice it because of the rain when I picked it up. I'm still scrubbing them with APC during a wash and letting it wear off, so I can treat them with SVRT.

I don't know, perhaps against better judgement, but I'm going to continue this thread.

I washed my wifes car again yesterday. It's been two weeks to the day. It had been driven 80 miles round trip each day Monday through Friday on the highway both weeks and sat in and driven through thunderstorms several times both weeks.

This picture was taken after I washed and dried it yesterday. No SVRT applied, just washed and dried:

IMG_5355resize.jpg

To my wife and I this is totally acceptable for what the car had gone through during the time/miles since the last application. Again, SVRT is a water resistant dressing not a protectant like wax or sealant and not permanent like paint: simply a dressing.

A couple minutes with some more SVRT and voila!:

IMG_5356resize.jpg

The first SVRT application two weeks ago was to some pretty dried out plastic and it really soaked up the product. This time it took no where near as much SVRT. I did wipe yesterdays application down with an old microfiber towel to level/blend.

Oh yea, did I mention I love this stuff! :rockon:

Again, SVRT is a water resistant dressing not a protectant like wax or sealant and not permanent like paint: simply a dressing.

Oh yea, did I mention I love this stuff! :rockon:

Very well said, and I completely agree! :cheers:

I've actually been fighting a losing battle with the rain lately. I applied SVRT on the window trim of my new car a few months back, and ended up with a streaky mess all over my windows and paint after the first rain storm. I think I may have applied too much product that time though.

I tried again recently and made sure to buff it out with a microfiber to wipe off any excess product. We had scattered storms this weekend, and unfortunately after the first rain hit I noticed the SVRT had run down my windows and paint again. After it stopped raining, I went over the trim with microfiber a second time to even things out. It rained again that night, and I noticed more streaks on my windows in the morning.

I think next time I'll take some all-purpose cleaner to the trim first, just to make sure I have a surface free of any grime or anything. Are there any other tricks to getting the product to set properly? Should I go as far as going over the SVRT with detail spray to ensure there is no excess product on the trim?

I love the look of the SVRT, I just hope I can find the right application technique. For what it's worth I'm a detailing novice, but enjoy the learning process :thumbsup:

Preparation and surface texture play a big key here on body plastics as I have found out. My sister has one of the same model Volvo's and it drank up SVRT on the first round because it really needed it. After a second thin coat and some leveling out, it looks just like BRZN posted above.

I know on my G8 the rear diffuser accepts the SVRT pretty well with minimal hassle. Everything on the grille area gets I&O since it's all mainly honeycomb openings and it's just a lot nicer to spray, wipe down and walk away rather than sit there with a Q tip for 8 hours detailing a grille.

Never had an issue with 'sun tanning' tires either on any of my rides or customer rides. Much like a quality paint job on a vehicle, it all comes down to the preparation first for optimal results.

Good work BRZN! :)

the grille area gets I&O since it's all mainly honeycomb openings and it's just a lot nicer to spray, wipe down and walk away rather than sit there with a Q tip for 8 hours detailing a grille.

Who told!

P1010684.jpg

:willy:

I opted to try SVRT after using Meg's #40 for a few years and like the results so far...I even used it on my coffee maker! I caught some flak from this on another forum, but I say, why not?? :thumbs up

I'll keep my aerospace 303 for other stuff, but SuperVRT is my new exterior favorite.

Who told!

P1010684.jpg

:willy:

I believe that this photo was taken a few years ago--before Dave and Adam's were fully introduced, or even partially introduced. Only in times of extreme need would Dave now sit and commune with his honeycomb grilles for hours on end. Today it's a shot of IOS and move on to a fine, hoppy IPA. Or Budweiser, if offered.

Oh, and I LOVE my SVRT! Does it streak a bit after a torrential downpour? Yep, but a quick wipedown and a LIGHT re-application and all is well. The key is LIGHT here, as with most Adam's products.

Never had an issue with 'sun tanning' tires either on any of my rides or customer rides. Much like a quality paint job on a vehicle, it all comes down to the preparation first for optimal results.

:)

Drive down an unpaved road and you will