Customer Service 866.965.0400

Custom-Built Water-Cooled Computer Build Log (Lots of Pics)

GerryC

I have been working on this project since the beginning of the month, determined to finish before Corvettes at Carlisle this week, and as of yesterday I finished :D

This is only the third complete system I've built for myself (previous two were in 2004 and 2006) and it is my first foray into liquid-cooling. For those who don't know what that means, it's basically the same setup as the radiator in your vehicle.

Better get the :lurk: ready because this is going to be a long one. I did quite a bit of metal work on the chassis before actually assembling the system and I took photos of every step (I know how much everyone here loooooves pictures)

I ordered all of my components from Newegg.com, and all of my water cooling gear from FrozenCPU.com. Both companies are in the US and have outstanding customer service. FrozenCPU had my whole order (about 30 individual items) picked, packed, and shipped within two hours of ordering, AFTER THEIR BUSINESS HOURS ENDED for that day. :rockon:

I'll try to include some contextual comments with each picture

Here is the chassis fresh out of the box. Lots of stuff inside that I won't be needing:

1.jpg

Like all this:

2.jpg

Much better:

3.jpg

But this mesh is going to restrict a lot of precious airflow:

4.jpg

Cut out:

5.jpg

Wrapped the edges in rubber molding:

6.jpg

Took apart the front panel connectors. My goal is minimizing the amount of wiring inside the case, also I have another use for this assembly:

7.jpg

Mounting switches to control the lights inside of the case:

23.jpg

Around this time my other components arrived so the plan was to do an external test boot to ensure everything worked before installing it all into the case.

In case you can't tell, this thing will be blue :D

9.jpg

Everything works!

10.jpg

Now to get some measurements:

11.jpg

Drilled holes to mount the water reservoir:

12.jpg

The top of the case had a hot-swap hard drive bay, which I would never use, plus it looked ugly and took up space on the inside. I wasn't sure of what to do with the open space that it left behind, but whatever I decided on, these mounting fins needed to go:

13.jpg

Like so:

14.jpg

The water pump was bigger than I thought it would be (about the size of a tennis ball) so I drilled out a 2 1/2" hole in the bottom of the case for it to sit in:

15.jpg

After this the whole case was vacuumed out, hit with an air compressor, and then wiped down with a damp cloth to remove all the metal shavings.

In the mean time, I mounted the water blocks onto the processor and video card.

Removing the heatsink from the video card:

16.jpg

18.jpg

Block installed. One of the mounting screws broke and a simple call to DangerDen (based in Oregon) and they overnighted me a whole new screw kit. Wow.

19.jpg

Nice smooth surface on the CPU block:

20.jpg

Installed:

21.jpg

Back to case work. Here is the pump, sitting in the hole I cut out (also lined with rubber molding to prevent damage and reduce vibration). I did this to a. mount it securely and b. hide half of the pump so it didn't look so big. It worked :o I ran the power cable under the case and up through a preexisting hole in the bottom. Had to remove the connector to feed the wires through

22.jpg

After playing around with some ideas I decided to fill in the open space at the top of the case with a piece of acrylic. For $10 I got a 12"12" slab, including the rubber molding (had to put in boiling water for 10 minutes to soften it up). I also drilled a hole in the center to mount the filling port for the water loop. Installing this window was probably the most daunting and time consuming part of the entire build. It isn't sitting 100% level but it looks pretty good for just winging it. :jester:

24.jpg

Installed the front fan using rubber mounts. Ignore the greasy hand prints on the case. I suffer from the same debilitating disease as Adam, it's called Italianitis :lolsmack:

26.jpg

Mounted the front panel into the case and tested the switches, success

25.jpg

Mounted the hard drives in these 5.25" bay adapters. The case came with hard drive cages but they blocked the front fan and where I wanted to mount the pump. Plus, they were an eyesore. So I improvised

28.jpg

By mounting them backwards to keep the cables out of sight. Yeah, it's a sickness.

29.jpg

Nice and clean

30.jpg

Front of the case put back on, and the switches line up. I had to cut up part of this because it was designed for usb ports, you can kind of see where I did it, but I don't have a before picture.

31.jpg

Now we're getting somewhere:

34.jpg

Splitter for the filling line

33.jpg

Next task is to flush out the radiators with boiling distilled water:

35.jpg

Fill up, shake, empty half out, shake, empty completely, repeat 4 times:

36.jpg

Fans mounted on the radiators and Installed in the case. The smaller radiator came with black screws while the larger one came with silver :( A trip to Lowe's was in order.

38.jpg

Everything wired up and reading for tubing:

40.jpg

What's lurking beyond the shadows:

39.jpg

But these gold letters caught my eye in a bad way:

43.jpg

As did these white red and yellow wires:

45.jpg

Problems solved (also replaced the radiator screws to all matching silver):

47.jpg

46.jpg

Tubes installed, and leak testing:

48.jpg

I was unhappy with the reservoir -> pump line so I took it apart, along with the drain, and redid them:

49.jpg

All finished up, time for some glamor shots:

1.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

If you made it this far, thanks for looking, now go take a nap lol

Edited by GerryC

Yup, the benefits are improved cooling efficiency due to water's higher thermal conductivity compaired to air, near-silent operation thanks to no need for smaller high-speed fans, and of course killer looks :D

Thanks guys

Awesome build! There's always something rewarding about building your own computer (much like detailing your own ride). This is one of the most tidy setups I've seen, and the attention to detail is incredible. Very freakin' nice.

Awesome build! There's always something rewarding about building your own computer (much like detailing your own ride). This is one of the most tidy setups I've seen, and the attention to detail is incredible. Very freakin' nice.
Exactly. I take after my grandfather, he was very handy when it came to doing things himself. He passed away last year and one thing I learned from him was if you do something yourself then it will always come out exactly how you want it to. Thanks for the comments :2thumbs:

That is just amazing. It's like a piece of art. Amazing job Gerry!

Thats awesome. Love the design

Thanks guys

That's badass man. Very nice job. I absolutely love single sleeved power supply wires.

Only thing I'm wondering about is your choice of video card? You must not game much?

Thanks. Once I saw individually sleeved power supply cables I just had to lol.

If I wasn't water cooling I may have put more $ into the graphics card, but decent PCIe 3.0 cards are pushing $500+... I may upgrade down the road if need be, but I am a web designer and only game occasionally, so I only needed something capable but not overkill.

:drool: sweet rig man! I need to build me another computer my fps in bf3 is awful. I need silence, I bought a massive heat sink for my processor to quiet it down and it has substantially, I just want complete silence.

What system did you go with? Is it active or passive? And is it silent?

Edit:Looked at pics on pc, see that you also have fans...nice rubber mounts!

Edited by 3PedalMINI

All I can hear is the faint hum of the water pump. I downloaded a decibel meter app for my phone - dead silent in the room is 26dB, and when the computer is on it hits 32dB.

I didn't go with a "system" per se, I just picked individual parts that were compatible with each other and put it all together.

Thanks. Once I saw individually sleeved power supply cables I just had to lol.

If I wasn't water cooling I may have put more $ into the graphics card, but decent PCIe 3.0 cards are pushing $500+... I may upgrade down the road if need be, but I am a web designer and only game occasionally, so I only needed something capable but not overkill.

Edit: nevermind. I just noticed you installed a 560. That's actually a pretty decent card. :2thumbs:

Anyways, thanks for posting the PC build. I absolutely love that kind of stuff. I just built a nice PC recently also.

It's kind of a side hobby of mine, outside of detailing with Adam's

Edited by AngryPolska

Not to geek out here but can you provide a build list? With links if not to much of a pain. This looks alot like a Lian-li project I did (without the LC). I was always worried about leaks... That project died and I haven't had a chance to rebuild or even troubleshoot fully..

The trick to leak testing is using a spare power supply and jumping the ATX connector. This tricks the unit to believe it is plugged into a motherboard, so you can run the water pump without powering on the rest of the system.

Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D

Power Supply: Corsair Profesional AX650

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V

Processor: Intel i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad Core

Memory: 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1024MB

Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro (from previous system)

System Drive: Crucial M4 128GB Solid State Drive

Operation System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Storage Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB

CPU Block: Swiftech Apogee HD

GPU Block: Danger Den DD-GTX560

Pump: Swiftech MCP655-B

Radiators: Black Ice GT Stealth 240 and 120

Fans: Noiseblocker XLP

Reservoir: EK RES X2

Tubing: Danger Den DreamFlex UV Blue

Fittings: Swiftech Lok-Seal Compression

Edited by GerryC

Nice man. Almost the exact same specs as mine, minus the liquid cooling and the regular 560ti.

My next build down the road will be a full liquid cooled system.

I've been running a slight overclock on my 3570k @ 4.0ghz. I can say this, if you've ever played Arkham City on ultra settings, with full PhysiX enabled, you'll know how demanding that game can be. It destroyed my old PC running an AMD Athlon Quad Core 630.

This new PC? It doesn't even flinch.

What voltage do you have it set at for 4.0? I'm at 3.8GHz at 1.135v - cores idling between 30-32c

I'd love to push it as far as I can without hitting 1.2v

I've read about people running 1.4-1.5v with these Ivy Bridge i5's. Crazy stuff.

I adjusted the speed in the Bios for the turbo boost, just bumped it up to 4ghz.

All the voltage settings are set to "auto". Most the settings on this Z77 Gigabyte board are set and forget. Unless you really want to get crazy with fine tuning frequencies, etc.

I didn't want a 24/7 overclock, so I opted to bump the turbo clock up instead. You can do it either way, it's just up to you.

Most I might go with is a 4.2ghz clock. Right now, I idle right around 35C and around 50-55C in game.

You on the other hand and can go much further then that :2thumbs:

These i-series Intel chips are great for overclocking. I think you'll be able to push it to 1.4-1.5v with ease. I'm running an i7-2600K at 4.2Ghz, but I tried out the built-in overclocking which came with my MSI motherboard, and it took care of everything so nicely I decided not to mess with the settings myself.