Customer Service 866.965.0400

Car Covers Good or Bad?

LarryR

Question

I will be getting a brand new "baby" this coming spring and am having a car port built for it. This will be a "weekender" vehicle so it will spend a lot of it's time under the car port. Since it's an open sided car port is there any benefit to using a car cover too or is better to simply deal with the increased detailing required instead of worrying about the potential for paint scratching caused by the cover?

22 answers to this question

you just answered your own question :D

LMAO......I guess I did didn't I...:lol:

Ok, let's switch gears a little......I'm guessing that not all car covers are created equal.....One of the options I'll be getting on my car (2013 Challenger SRT8) includes a Mopar car cover. Should I consider another brand/type?

I went through this debate when I first got my pride and joy.

First off, you're right about not all covers being equal. Regardless of what they are made of, you still have the possibility of debris getting underneath the cover.

I live in West Texas where the wind blows like it's angry for being here. My biggest fear would be for dirt or even a small pebble or something to get blown up underneath the cover. From that point on, that dirt or pebble would just be rubbing between the cover and the paint all day long and everytime the wind rattles that cover.

Essentially, this would be like a piece of sand paper just rubbing on my baby. I could be mistaken, but that was the logic I came to on my debate.

Hope this helps! :cheers:

I went through this debate when I first got my pride and joy.

First off, you're right about not all covers being equal. Regardless of what they are made of, you still have the possibility of debris getting underneath the cover.

I live in West Texas where the wind blows like it's angry for being here. My biggest fear would be for dirt or even a small pebble or something to get blown up underneath the cover. From that point on, that dirt or pebble would just be rubbing between the cover and the paint all day long and everytime the wind rattles that cover.

Essentially, this would be like a piece of sand paper just rubbing on my baby. I could be mistaken, but that was the logic I came to on my debate.

Hope this helps! :cheers:

Thanks Matt! Hope I don't seem dense but did you decide not to use a car cover?

Correct. I let her sit under the car port with no cover.

My Camaro is a weekend driver. I bring it to work with me on Friday's and use it all day Saturday and Sunday unless I'm going somewhere I think she's likely to get dinged (movies, sporting events, etc.)

The bad news is that she collects ALOT of dust sitting outside Monday thru Thursday, but the good news is that every Thursday night she and I spend some quality time together giving her a wash! :thumbsup:

Protection is a MUST. Sealant or wax goes on pretty regularly. The paint isn't in flawless condition, but I would put it up against any car at the dealerships where I live. The interior on the other hand is immaculate.

Flawless paint is mythical with a car that sits outside. I can't wait until I move into my new place that has an attached garage!

Thanks so much Matt! Adding insult to injury (in my case) my new baby will be black AND I live on a friggin dirt road......so I will be spending a lot of quality time with her washing and waxing.......Adams will be getting a lot of my money when she finally arrives!

Speaking of protection...the daily special for today is Buttery Wax with a fee applicator and microfiber towel!

I know your ride hasn't come in yet, but the shelf life of Adam's products is impeccable when they're stored properly. :2thumbs:

I feel your pain, the Camaro is black as well.

Living on a dirt road though...you got your work cut out for ya! :lolsmack:

Black does look absolutely amazing when it's shined up though...brilliant glaze will be your best friend for that extra pop.

It's time consuming keeping it looking good, but it's a hobby I thoroughly enjoy. Not to mention, I have YET to take my ride out and not get at least one compliment for how good it looks.

Highly secured side panels on the car port would be best. Heavy boards on the bottom of the side panels would keep dust out of the car port.

Putting on and taking off a car cover will create scratches no matter the quality.

I've tried using a car cover on my ride. The dirt and dust still finds its way onto the paint and it isnt great for long term storage. On the box it said "cover must be removed every 7 days for rewash" if your going to invest be mindful of the cons.

An idea maybe. Buy a weatherproof shade sail and 4 galvanized steel poles and make a shade sail car port. It won't protect it completely however nothing will be touching the paint and its easy access to wash or move the car.

Edited by Joseph@AdamsAustralia

Highly secured side panels on the car port would be best. Heavy boards on the bottom of the side panels would keep dust out of the car port.

Putting on and taking off a car cover will create scratches no matter the quality.

That's why I put my cover on for the Winter and leave it on till Spring.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks so much Matt! Adding insult to injury (in my case) my new baby will be black AND I live on a friggin dirt road......so I will be spending a lot of quality time with her washing and waxing.......Adams will be getting a lot of my money when she finally arrives!

Good luck buddy, your gonna need it! Haha

Here's a little suggestion (I've said it before). My wife took two king size soft fleece (you can also use microfiber) flat sheets and sewed them end to end long ways. I use this to cover my car in the summer in the garage, but I also use it under my regular cover to prevent any risk of scratches. It's been a real lifesaver, especially when I had the black Vette and would have had to dust it every hour. It's a cheap solution to protecting your car from car cover seams and loose stitching. :thumbsup: