Customer Service 866.965.0400

Glass cleaning problems

Cjbarton

Question

So I have some issues with cleaning the interior glass on my car. I use two towels. One to clean, then the other to buff. I only use a squirt of the glass cleaner one a window.

The windows look great out of the sun, but as soon as the sun hits the glass it is very streaky. Ive tried buffing it off the next day, but it doesn't want to budge.

Thanks ahead of time. Ive learned so much from this forum, and adams is the bomb. Cant imagine using any other product now.

C.J.

Are the streaks on the inside? You could try a wipe down with alcohol.

Yes, the streaks are on the inside. I don`t have tint of my windows except for the OEM tint. Will alcohol not cause a problem? straight alcohol or IPA?

Just to cross things off the list...

Windshield only? Are you using one direction to wipe the interior and the other for the exterior? Meaning sideways for one and up and down for the other...

To be sure it's not the outside, clay your glass then clean it. Then clean the interior with the other direction method. Also, bring fresh towels.

Do not use alcohol on tint.

Mook

Just to cross things off the list...

Windshield only? Are you using one direction to wipe the interior and the other for the exterior? Meaning sideways for one and up and down for the other...

To be sure it's not the outside, clay your glass then clean it. Then clean the interior with the other direction method. Also, bring fresh towels.

Do not use alcohol on tint.

Mook

I do use different directions for interior and exterior. One up and down, one side to side. My exterior glass is freshly clayed. It is definitely on the inside of the windows. I also use fresh towels every time, Green glass cleaning towels.

Sorry about the tint confusion, I was just thinking of the windshield.

I see you're in GA, so something else to consider is humidity. I know I'm more likely to have fits cleaning my glass when the humidity is up. And maybe experiment with the amount of glass cleaner you're using.

C.J., sorry we are streaking! Are you using our green Glass Towels with the Glass Cleaner? Typically, our towel/ cleaner combo won't streak at all....especially when used together.

If you feel the towels are too wet, that can make themm streak a bit.

Finally, some fabric softener on the towels will create streaking, and if that's the case, try our Microfiber Detergent.

Please get back and we'll get this figured out!!:thumbsup:

i've found the trick to cleaning glass, is to not wipe over what you just cleaned.

take Dylan's waterless wash video, notice how he does a single swipe across the panel; thats what you should be doing with the glass. then come back with a dry towel and buff any streaks.

also, there's 2 different sides to the glass towel. try both sides to find which glides across the surface easier. if that doesn't work, i've also used the waterless wash waffle weave towel to clean glass with the glass cleaner, then buffed any streaks off immediately with a dry glass towel.

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

Excellent tip Ryan... thats the best method to go with. The first thing I usually find when people are having these kinds of issue is too much chemical/saturated towel.

It really only takes a very light misting of product to get the job done, which can be a real challenge on the inside of the windsheild, so many times its easiest to simply spray onto one towel, wipe lightly, then come back with a dry towel and buff away the remaining.

I struggled in the beginning with cleaning the glass, especially on some cars where the residue on the inside of the front glass just didn't seem to want to go away, instead it just seemed to get pushed around. Here are the things that I have found important:

1) Use the towel on one section of the towel for one, maybe two wipes, then fold/flip. If I keep using the same section of the towel, stubborn film that has been transferred to the towel will be pushed back onto the window.

2) Be sure the towel is clean. At this point I usually hand wash my glass cleaning towels.

Other tips:

DO NOT DO THIS ON TINTED WINDOWS

1) Will use Revive Polish on the glass to clean a haze that is stubborn, wipe with a waterless wash towel, then follow up with normal glass cleaning process.

2) On the windows on the house, after the glass cleaning, will use brilliant glaze. The sliding glass doors (and windows) stay clean so much longer with the brilliant glaze.

:cheers:

Alright guys. I just tried everything new. And my windows look invisible, no obvious streaking. Its wonderful, the glass towels work great now that I know how to use them.

I believe my biggest problem was the fact that i was using it like windex. I would spray a full spray on a half size window and i would just push it around with the towel.

So what I did was half a squirt of GC, then wipe away only once. Then go over it with a dry towel. On the windshield I would use a full squirt for the larger surface area.

Thanks. You all are a great help. :2thumbs:

Most customers give us feedback that it lasts somewhere in the range of 200-250 miles of wet weather driving. Obviously using wiper fluid and wipers can impact that so the longevity really can vary a lot.

I applied a coating to my glass back in SoCal and it lasted almost a full "winter" simply b/c there wasn't a lot of rain to contend with.

How many glass cleaning towels do you recommend having? I just purchased/received the glass cleaner/sealant combo (my first Adams purchase!) that only comes with one towel and now I'm thinking I need to get a few more of those towels before doing any glass cleaning.

P.S. Is it advisable to wash the towels before using them for the first time?

Edited by LarryR

You definitely should get more of the glass towels. The one you have probably won't get you past the windshield. In the meantime, you can use the blue waffle towels that go with Waterless Wash.

edit: I assume from your post that you don't have any other Adam's products yet, so in your case you can go ahead and use the Glass Cleaner with a "regular" towel since it isn't quite as critical as the paint. (you're better off leaving your paint dirty than using inferior towels on it)

Edited by Redbeard

You definitely should get more of the glass towels. The one you have probably won't get you past the windshield. In the meantime, you can use the blue waffle towels that go with Waterless Wash.

edit: I assume from your post that you don't have any other Adam's products yet, so in your case you can go ahead and use the Glass Cleaner with a "regular" towel since it isn't quite as critical as the paint. (you're better off leaving your paint dirty than using inferior towels on it)

Just ordered a 5 pack! :thumbsup: