Customer Service 866.965.0400

can porter cable cause buffing marks??

hemi1300

Question

used the porter cable 7424xp 3 step polishing setup on my truck last weekend. Didn't do the whole truck, just worked on problem areas where surface scratches were bugging me. My buddy, who i told i bought the polisher, and how good it worked, says to be careful polishing too much in fear of buffer/swirl marks when u get the vehicle out in the sun. Went to town on the paint with the shr until i was pleased with scratch removal, then followed with fmp and machine sealant. Sun hasn't been out since so i haven't been able to get a good look at the result in the sun. Is the porter cable possible of causing buffer marks, thought i heard someone say the pc doesn't have enough speed to even chance causing buffer marks or any other damage to the paint what so ever. Am I correct in assuming this? My friend uses a cheap rotary buffer he bought for $20 from sears lol, my guess would be rotary buffers could definitely cause more damage if used improperly, but the orbital pc is 100% safe even with user error? Sorry for the long post about a silly question, just want to hear what u guys have to say, so I can sleep a little easier at night lol

16 answers to this question

Holograms are caused by a Rotary machine's head spinning all over the place. You'll notice the PC7424XP is a Dual Action machine. The action of the head is oscillation vs rotation.

I don't see how it's possible to cause Holograms (buffer trails) with the PC.

Mook

Holograms are caused by a Rotary machine's head spinning all over the place. You'll notice the PC7424XP is a Dual Action machine. The action of the head is oscillation vs rotation.

I don't see how it's possible to cause Holograms (buffer trails) with the PC.

Mook

I'm pretty sure thats exactly what Dylan told me when I asked the same question after I did the wife's car first go around, he said it may be excessive product and that to do a test wipe down on a panel with IPA (no Mook not the Ale! We do not waste good product!), and that did the trick.

Hope that helps.

No, but the 4" spot pads on a drill can -- you need to take some care with those.

Yes, the 4" Focus Kit WILL leave holograms if you use it with the Cordless Drill. I have met THREE people that can use that without having to step back over with a DA. Takes some craft!!

:2thumbs:

Yes, the 4" Focus Kit WILL leave holograms if you use it with the Cordless Drill. I have met THREE people that can use that without having to step back over with a DA. Takes some craft!!

Mook, We've met; make it four!!!

Edited by BRZN

not using the 4" pads on a drill, but could definitely see how they could leave holograms if used improperly. I did, though, order a set of the 4" pads and backing plate for the porter cable, quite a few spots on the truck where the 7" pads are too big-door sills, curves on bedside and front fenders, and still want to do some scratch removal. Anything i should be cautious of while using the 4" pads with the pc? Also ordered severe swirl/haze remover, hopefully it does a quicker job of surface scratch removal than swirl and haze

Count me in among the successful ones as well! BRZN should vouch for me! :hi: