Customer Service 866.965.0400

Failed pad on flat surface leads to paint burn't/peeled!!!

Was out tonight trying out the porter cable(I've used others in the past) i just bought from the adams dealer of austin texas. All was going along great and was really shining until the damn pad gave way with no warning. The paint rubbed/burn't in a quarter size spot, while using on a flat surface. This is the first time I have ever had a pad fail like shown in the picture below. My car is a show car and I am now ONE UNHAPPY CUSTOMER.

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo6.jpg

Is that factory paint or a custom paint job? Was there a bubble in that same spot like there is on the hood in the picture above it? Looks more like paint adhesion failure is the ultimate culprit here.

The paint is FACTORY. Where do you see a bubble in paint?

Draw an imaginary line from the spot that just failed to the hole on the hood. Looks just to the right of that imaginary line. There appears to be a bubble in the paint. Could just be the picture, but I've never seen a PC pull the paint off straight to the substrate like that failure shows.

Draw an imaginary line from the spot that just failed to the hole on the hood. Looks just to the right of that imaginary line. There appears to be a bubble in the paint. Could just be the picture, but I've never seen a PC pull the paint off straight to the substrate like that failure shows.

That is a water spot. The paint is perfect....well not anymore..

That doesn't look a burn to me.. Generally a burn or strike through would be flush with the clear coat and look more 'worn' on the edges of the damage. Did the machine hit the paint?? It looks more like a chip from something impacting the paint more than a burn / strike through.

Can't believe I didn't notice right away that was a focus pad, you have to take it easy with the focus pads for sure. They are not as thick as the standard pads, and when they start to deteriorate they get thin like that. I bet the vibration of the pc and the rubber backing plate ripped her up a bit. That sucks, good luck.

Can't believe I didn't notice right away that was a focus pad, you have to take it easy with the focus pads for sure. They are not as thick as the standard pads, and when they start to deteriorate they get thin like that. I bet the vibration of the pc and the rubber backing plate ripped her up a bit. That sucks, good luck.

The damage looks more of that of an impact than a buffer incident. Even with a worn pad as pictured it shouldn't have done anything more than possibly scratch the paint deeply... This looks like something fell directly onto that spot, I dont even think a PC could do that kind of damage unless it was dropped from a good height. Vibration on paint certainly should not crack or chip as seen here, if the vibration did this I would call that a manufacturing defect.

The damage looks more of that of an impact than a buffer incident. Even with a worn pad as pictured it shouldn't have done anything more than possibly scratch the paint deeply... This looks like something fell directly onto that spot, I dont even think a PC could do that kind of damage unless it was dropped from a good height. Vibration on paint certainly should not crack or chip as seen here, if the vibration did this I would call that a manufacturing defect.

I would totally agree on an aluminum or steel surface, but on plastic and on that edge I somewhat disagree. It looks like by the way the pad deteriorated he had it on edge a bit which is not good. I wouldn't say the paint was defective but it sure seems like it on the front end of these new cars, like mine the paint falls of like nothing.

Impact? are you kidding me? You guys seriously think nothing from ADAMS is not perfect....Wow, The plastic ring that is on the pad you can feel straight through it. I GUARANTEE you that was the culprit. I dare ya to take a hard piece of plastic like that and put it on a porter cable at the speed which a porter cable does work and see if your paint doesn't come off.

Also if something was dropped that was HEAVY enough to take paint off ...don't you think there would be a dent/ding around the area where the paint has come off?

Impact? are you kidding me? You guys seriously think nothing from ADAMS is not perfect....Wow, The plastic ring that is on the pad you can feel straight through it. I GUARANTEE you that was the culprit. I dare ya to take a hard piece of plastic like that and put it on a porter cable at the speed which a porter cable does work and see if your paint doesn't come off.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Adam's is perfect, more so that years of experience using DA's and buffers in general, suggests that the pad ( or any pad for that matter) is not the route cause of this failure. I know you're upset, but there are no signs that the pad/buffer are the route cause of this problem.

Also if something was dropped that was HEAVY enough to take paint off ...don't you think there would be a dent/ding around the area where the paint has come off?

Not necessarily, especially if that is a urethane bumper cover. The cover could flex enough to absorb the impact, but the paint may not. This would cause a separation between the paint and the bumper cover. Once that 'bubble' (not that it would be visible) is impacted it would disintegrate and look a lot like the damage you have.

This is interesting to someone considering buying the PC. It sure doesn't look like what I imagined a burn or scratch from a random orbital polisher would. It'd be great to hear from more folks experienced with these, like professional detailers and other Adam's addicts!

What ever happened, it sucks.

Not necessarily, especially if that is a urethane bumper cover. The cover could flex enough to absorb the impact, but the paint may not. This would cause a separation between the paint and the bumper cover. Once that 'bubble' (not that it would be visible) is impacted it would disintegrate and look a lot like the damage you have.

I have a Duramax that I paid 60K for that has issues with the paint in a couple of spots. So it wouldn't surprise me to see something like this be a manufacturer defect as opposed to damage caused with the a polisher and pad.

This is interesting to someone considering buying the PC. It sure doesn't look like what I imagined a burn or scratch from a random orbital polisher would. It'd be great to hear from more folks experienced with these, like professional detailers and other Adam's addicts!

What ever happened, it sucks.

I wouldn't let this impact your decision to purchase a PC, I purchased by first PC ever, last year and never used one prior to, never have had any issues with mine. I keep my pads clean and ensure they have no damage to them and always use the 4" for all areas that the large pad will not fit or is slightly to big to ensure I keep the body lines safe.

I have a Camaro and we all know they don't have much paint on them.

HPIM1075.jpg

This here is a strike through, or burn, probably done with a rotary polisher. Doesn't much resemble the damage in the images you have provided.

I'm calling your bluff here dude... That kind of damage doesnt happen from polishing paint. The base coat thats actually on that pad appears to be there in 1 circular spot, meaning you had the polisher positioned in 1 place and pressed down. The pad was likely damaged by pressing down on the 1 sole area and sharp jagged edges of the damaged paint that was left there. The roundedness of the clear coat around the area shown indicates this area was contunually polished and/or polished after the damage occured. Sorry man, I really don't see how this could have been caused by a PC unless you were literally trying to damage the paint.