Customer Service 866.965.0400

Failed pad on flat surface leads to paint burn't/peeled!!!

Impact? are you kidding me? You guys seriously think nothing from ADAMS is not perfect....Wow, The plastic ring that is on the pad you can feel straight through it. I GUARANTEE you that was the culprit. I dare ya to take a hard piece of plastic like that and put it on a porter cable at the speed which a porter cable does work and see if your paint doesn't come off.

Easy, I would be really pisses to if this happen to my car too, not saying that Adams is perfect but it looks more like an honest mishap and maybe some equipment issues. If I were you i would just have a body shop touch the spot up with some base, spot some clear in and wetsand it a few times between clear coats. I wouldn't repaint the entire bumper cover especially since that is on an orange metallic. Impossible to match.

Trent relax! We are not saying Adams is perfect it just doesn't look like typical burn through like Ryan pointed out with a picture I believe! It looks like back of pads was cut back do you think that could have weakened the pad surface when pressure is put on it from front. If that is the case it's on you! IMO. It looks like something caught the paint bit into it and ripped it up? Just a theory!

By no means am I am expert...but, wouldn't paint burn be feathered at the edges and not so localized? Even with pad failure, wouldnt it be hard to damage the paint with the PC? Unless of course the backing plate caused the damage.

HPIM1075.jpg

This here is a strike through, or burn, probably done with a rotary polisher. Doesn't much resemble the damage in the images you have provided.

I'm calling your bluff here dude... That kind of damage doesnt happen from polishing paint. The base coat thats actually on that pad appears to be there in 1 circular spot, meaning you had the polisher positioned in 1 place and pressed down. The pad was likely damaged by pressing down on the 1 sole area and sharp jagged edges of the damaged paint that was left there. The roundedness of the clear coat around the area shown indicates this area was contunually polished and/or polished after the damage occured. Sorry man, I really don't see how this could have been caused by a PC unless you were literally trying to damage the paint.

Call my bluff all you want, I was there and doing it when it happened. If you were to look at the pad in real life you could easily figure out what caused it. I can feel the plastic ring straight through the pad with my finger. I GUARANTEE you that is the culprit. Also , why the hell would I try to damage my paint purposefully ? We stopped polishing the area as soon as the damage was noticed. I love it how a guy all the way in California claims to be able to call my bluff. Maybe I should have recorded while we were polishing?

Call my bluff all you want, I was there and doing it when it happened. If you were to look at the pad in real life you could easily figure out what caused it. I can feel the plastic ring straight through the pad with my finger. I GUARANTEE you that is the culprit. Also , why the hell would I try to damage my paint purposefully ? We stopped polishing the area as soon as the damage was noticed. I love it how a guy all the way in California claims to be able to call my bluff. Maybe I should have recorded while we were polishing?

The pad didn't cause the damage, it only revealed it. Again, experience dictates that the damage in the picture was not caused by the PC/pad combo. There was an underlying issue that was the root cause of the damage. It sucks that it happened and I know that's not what you want to hear, but it is what it is.

Last post you'll see from me in this thread...

I'm not going to argue with you, all I did was state facts. Things I have learned in many years of experience with detailing in general, not just Adam's products. I'm not trying to rip you apart here man, however this 'know it all' California guy DID call your bluff. :glasses:

Trent it is unfortunate what happened to your paint. But you have to realize that there is a lot of combined experience here between everybody on this forum. And those that detail or paint on a daily basis aren't seeing where the PC caused the issue. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, and like 02Extreme mentioned it is more than likely a paint defect that reared it's ugly face while polishing. As I mentioned previously I have a vehicle, bought brand new that has a couple of paint defects. Nobody is trying to beat you up over it, just trying to state the facts as to what years and years of experience has taught them. I by no means don't consider myself an expert, but I'am well rounded in a lot of subjects, and to me that doesn't look like "burnt/peeled paint" caused by polishing.

In looking at your pictures, it looks to me as though the primer and everything was removed, right down to bare plastic. If polishing did caused this, I would think there would be some primer showing, not bare plastic.

Edited by LFairbanks

Trent -

While I can certainly understand your frustration having damaged your paint, please try to keep it civil. Everyone chiming in is simply trying to help you get to the bottom of the issue... which I would assume was the reason you posted it here in the first place am I right? The collective knowledge here on the forum, based on many many many hours of use with the same products you are pointing to is a valuable tool and for what its worth this experience allows us to diagnose things based on the condition of the pad and paint... theres clearly a missing link in the story somewhere.

What I will say is that based on the damage in the pictures and the condition of the pad after "1 use" it very clearly points to user error or misuse of the product. This picture tells the tale:

photo6.jpg

The clear circular rip in the foam can only be caused be a few factors:

Operating the pad on a machine beyond the recommended speed.

Operating the pad 'off axis' or at an angle

Pressing extremely hard on the machine

Allowing the pad to 'free spin' for an extended period of time

Had the pad simply disintegrated during use in a non-pattern way I'd agree with you. That would be a failure of the foam, but for it to fail in the very specific circular pattern that also just so happens to be the OD of the inside of the backing points to a specific kind of failure.

So regardless of if you think it was the plastic ring or backing plate that actually caused the damage, the reason that would have been a factor in the first place is non-recommeneded use in the first place. I'm also confused at to how the ring or plate could have contacted the paint in the first place as per your email you state the plate had not cut thru the felt and glue, so at VERY worse case the only potential items in contact with your paint were the felt backing. This could definitely mar the paint and cause some slight damage, but not remove the clear, base, and primer coats in just a spit second.

An additional issue I can see in the picture below is the black discoloration towards the edges. Clearly you don't have black paint and there was not enough heat buildup to char the pad, so that points to one area - the grill/trim. In addition to the root causes of the issue its clear the pad was impacting your grill/trim which is going to beat up the pad pretty bad as well.

photo4.jpg

Just seems there was a lot of things at work here that lead to the damage. It wasn't directly caused by the pad clearly, but some misuse and a set of circumstances that was less than ideal.

I just replied to your email request for the return/refund and how you go about returning the products to us. Rather than continuing this conversation in 2 places I'm going to close this thread and you can feel free to contact me via email.

Edited by Dylan@Adams