Customer Service 866.965.0400

Flex vs Porter cable, whats the difference?

Jmorlan

Question

I am new to the machine polishing, and have an orbital buffer now, but its a cheap one.

Im looking to upgrade to the PC, since I am new and have little experience, the fact that I cannot hurt my paint is attractive.

My question is, whats the difference between the flex and the PC?

23 answers to this question

The P.C. is a real nice polisher and a good unit to get the hang of machine polishing. IMO, the Flex is a great polisher. I personally started with the P.C. and used the dickens out of it for 6 - 7 years with another brand of polish and wax. Since I moved up to the Flex (and Adam's), I haven't used my P.C. (or the other brand of polish).

The Flex has "forced rotation" and is more powerful than the P.C. Even though the P.C. will ultimately deliver a real nice job, I feel the Flex reduces the time to correct a car by about 30%.

I just got done doing this research a month ago. Basically, the majority of people start out with a PC because it's extremely safe and fairly cheap. It's like a training tool to get your experience up and techniques down. After people learned that, they felt the need to upgrade to the flex because it's more powerful and gets the job done better and faster, while still being safe.

After seeing the majority saying they wanted to upgrade shortly after the PC, I just went right ahead and bought the flex to start off with. I never used one before so it may be a tad but tougher to start off with, but it'll be worth it once I get it down

sent from your HTC Rezound

In answering your question to what Adam's actually sells :)

Simply......

Both are Dual Action...meaning they both orbit and spin at the same time, the PC is free spinning and the Flex is direct drive.

Bottom Line: The PC will slow down with pressure and the Flex will not. PC's cheap, Flex is expensive. PC cuts slower than the Flex. It's all in what you want out of the machine.

In answering your question to what Adam's actually sells :)

Simply......

Both are Dual Action...meaning they both orbit and spin at the same time, the PC is free spinning and the Flex is direct drive.

Bottom Line: The PC will slow down with pressure and the Flex will not. PC's cheap, Flex is expensive. PC cuts slower than the Flex. It's all in what you want out of the machine.

What he said!

The Flex cuts a bit more so it makes the job go by a bit quicker.

I'd never machine polished a car before. I started out with the intention of getting a PC for the same reasons (safe, easy, etc)...but ultimately went with the Flex based on lurking around here. It's pretty safe and faster. I polished my car without any issues. Just watch the videos and read what people are saying around here. Ask questions... people are chomping at the bit to give some experienced advice. A little common sense goes a long ways too.

A lot of us around here have both having started out with the PC and then moved on to the Flex. There are a few people here that still use their PCs for certain applications, even after getting the Flex. The point of me telling you this is that it is a very capable machine and you will be happy with it for quite a while if that is what you are comfortable starting off with. :)

A lot of us around here have both having started out with the PC and then moved on to the Flex. There are a few people here that still use their PCs for certain applications, even after getting the Flex. The point of me telling you this is that it is a very capable machine and you will be happy with it for quite a while if that is what you are comfortable starting off with. :)

Good point Randy. I have 2 PC's so I don't have to remove backing plates, a 3401 and the PE-14 rotary......and I still use the PC just as much. They all have their uses and alot depends on my mood and the task at hand.

I'm currently using a PC, but want to move to the Flex, my question is does the Flex vibrate as bad as the PC, about half way thru a job the PC vibration kills my hands. Also will the 6" pads interchange between the two? Thanks, sorry to highjack the thread!

I'm currently using a PC, but want to move to the Flex, my question is does the Flex vibrate as bad as the PC, about half way thru a job the PC vibration kills my hands. Also will the 6" pads interchange between the two? Thanks, sorry to highjack the thread!

1. Vibration - Uh, no, the Flex is the "Audi" of polishers, haha. I kid, but the PC will vibrate your hands off if your not careful (wear mechanics gloves), the Flex is silky smooth.

2. Yes, the new waffle weave pads work on both machines.

Wear some headphones and gloves with the PC...it helps me.

1. Vibration - Uh, no, the Flex is the "Audi" of polishers, haha. I kid, but the PC will vibrate your hands off if your not careful (wear mechanics gloves), the Flex is silky smooth.

2. Yes, the new waffle weave pads work on both machines.

Wear some headphones and gloves with the PC...it helps me.

Thanks for the info...I'm adding the Flex to my wish list! :pc:

well fellas, thanks for all of the info and thoughts about the two machines, I went ahead and ordered the PC from adams toda, I know..BOO, but I figured it would suit me for what I need without throwing the extra scratch.

will the flex damage the clear oppose to using a rotary if the user is intermediate ?

The Flex is safer than a true rotary. The PC is foolproof, so the Flex is often mentioned on this forum as being for experienced users mainly by comparison to the PC. But many folks have started with the Flex and had no problems. Just use caution/common sense and watch the Adam's videos and you'll be fine.

Aw thanks man, you shouldn't have!

sent from your HTC Rezound

No problem man. I know you have the flex already, but its the least I can do. Lol

Sent from my futuristic Apple device while in my office doing nothing.

The Flex is safer than a true rotary. The PC is foolproof, so the Flex is often mentioned on this forum as being for experienced users mainly by comparison to the PC. But many folks have started with the Flex and had no problems. Just use caution/common sense and watch the Adam's videos and you'll be fine.

i used the PC about 4 months ago and i liked it but it took awhile to get decent results with it. i actually have to re do the car because it didnt get all the light scratches out. would it be crazy if i jump to the flex with using the pc just once ? i saw the vids and it looks pretty simple

i used the PC about 4 months ago and i liked it but it took awhile to get decent results with it. i actually have to re do the car because it didnt get all the light scratches out. would it be crazy if i jump to the flex with using the pc just once ? i saw the vids and it looks pretty simple

If your time is worth more than your money, sell it on here and upgrade. I started out with the flex and I haven't had any issues.:rockon: