Customer Service 866.965.0400

Waterless wash after coin operated wash for winter washing??

KKJ

Question

Living here in SD, winter raises heck on my vehicles. I used to go to the car wash in the winter, and then use a microfiber drying towel to dry my vehicle. (there is a sign at the car wash that says: no bucket washing):( After realizing this causes fine scratches in the paint because not all the dirt comes off from pressure washing, I figure I had to come up with a better way of properly taking care of my paint. I was wondering if I could wash my vehicle thouroghly at the coin op, drive home, put my vehicle in my heated garage, wait for the ice to melt, and then use the waterless wash to finish cleaning the vehicle. I would think this process would help reduce the amount of fine scratches atleast for the winter months where bucket washing is not an option. What are your thoughts on this process? Thanks for your insight!

13 answers to this question

How far of a drive is it back home?

It is about a mile back home. I would try to do it on a day when the roads weren't too bad so I wouldn't get too much road grime on the vehicle.

the coin op places say no bucket washing, because they dont want a line to form a mile long while you do a 35 minute wash.

In the dead of winter, i dont really think a line will ever be forming. I would just do the 2 bucket wash at the place.

Just ask them; if its slow they might say go for it! The place I used to go to the guy told me I could dry my car off in there cuz he seen me doing it outside :) he didn't even charge me for the drying time

BINGO. These guys nailed it.

Once, and only once I sprayed my Magnum off at the coin op car wash then pulled it out of the bay and used WW along with a Couple Great White Drying Towels to finish washing and dry.

The towels became so dirty I knew I was past the point of the WW and was marring the paint too much: never did it again.

Now if above 32*:

Skull cap

glove liners with Playtex Rubber gloves overtop

Long Johns under my jeans

two sweat shirts

and

a regular ole two bucket wash in the driveway

I use a coin-op all winter and NEVER touch the paint. I use straight water and spend a long time spraying it off. I then hit it with the "wax" water and then rinse. I do this ONLY to get the best beading possible so the water rolls right off.

Again, I DO NOT touch my paint.

I washed mine at home once when it was in the upper thirties and found out quickly how stupid that was when the concrete starting getting icy. I suggest you only do this if you KNOW your concrete is above freezing.

Chris

The other guys nailed it. This is a process I'm having to learn/adapt having just now getting my first taste of "real" winter.

I called the number for the pay n' spray thats just around the corner and asked. They said so long as I'm not there when theres a line or allow a line to form its no big deal, so I just make sure I'm there at "off times".

If you do go for the blast off at the pay/spray and drive home method just be really careful about how you're touching your car. Odds are with weather as cold as it is and slop on the road you'll have some nastiness on the lower rockers at least.

Thanks guys for all of your helpful info. I get up earlier than most people, so I think I will try to get to the car wash when they open on a saturday or sunday morning and I don't think many people will be there at all. I think this would be my best chance to get things done the "right" way.

I Again, I DO NOT touch my paint.

I washed mine at home once when it was in the upper thirties and found out quickly how stupid that was when the concrete starting getting icy. I suggest you only do this if you KNOW your concrete is above freezing.

Chris

Golf shoes!

I use a pay&spray and go off hours if possible for a two bucket wash. I broke down and bought the Adams buckets and lids. This way I can carry warm water so hands are not so cold.

My pay and spray has 20mins for $3.00. So I just keep it running while washing so they do not complain. Good luck in SD