Customer Service 866.965.0400

Driving from MD to TX...

matts88yj

Hi all! I know it may seem crazy but my best friend and I are driving from the Abingdon, MD area to Austin, Texas for the V8 Supercar race in May. Of course I trust the GPS to get me there but I know it's a complete mess around Dallas/Ft. Worth and didn't want to be sitting there for hours in traffic. There are a few ways that Google has planned with that being mainly taking 81 to 40 across Tennessee, 81 to 59 which takes me down to 20 across the middle of Mississippi and northern Louisiana or 81 to 59 to 10 which drops me all the way down along the gulf coast and into Texas that way.

I know we have quite a few Adams members somewhat along the way and wanted to see if you have any places to totally avoid, one route better than another or anything of that nature. It is saying that right now it's right around a 24 hour drive and we won't be pushing the car too hard on the way down there. We are taking either my G8 or his but either way, it's a G8 :D

Reason for driving is this is the first time the V8SC series will be on US soil and a lot of G8 and GTO guys are bringing their cars to have an informal meet and greet and cruise after the race. Should be an awesome time and it will be my first time in Texas! Also if anyone has any hotel recommendations along the way that would be great as well. Let me know what's good, bad and ugly!

Thank you in advance for all of your help! :burnout:

i would say once you get to 20 go west towards TX. You will take highway 271 to Tyler and then get on 31 towards Athens then Corsicana which will then take you to Waco. Once you hit Waco, go south on 35 to Austin and you will then take the loop around Austin to the track. I think going down to I-10 is too far out of the way

Thanks for the info Jeff! Believe it or not it only said it was a 10 minute difference but I agree on it being out of the way. I'll jot those route numbers down to take to avoid all of the Dallas area stuff.

We are trying to stop at the Monument Cafe as well since it was on Diners, Drive In's and Dives and looked to be pretty awesome! :D

I think you'll find that traffic jams in D/FW are not quite the same as traffic jams where you're from. Unless you happen to be coming thru D/FW during the morning or evening rush hour (which really only last about 1/2 hour) I don't think you'll have traffic issues.

I grew up in So.Cal. and just laugh at the people around here that complain about the traffic.

Yeah we are going to time it that we aren't around that area around any of the rush hours. Some of the traffic around here can sit for 30 minutes or more not going anywhere. Didn't want it getting to that point and then get frustrated. Haha!

Thanks for the info Jeff! Believe it or not it only said it was a 10 minute difference but I agree on it being out of the way. I'll jot those route numbers down to take to avoid all of the Dallas area stuff.

We are trying to stop at the Monument Cafe as well since it was on Diners, Drive In's and Dives and looked to be pretty awesome! :D

Monument Cafe in Georgetown is pretty good. Are y'all staying in Austin or out near the track? Wanted you to know the track is about 30-45min from Austin and there isn't much out by the track, mostly farmland.

Personally, I would come into Texas on I-10 and blast over to Columbus taking Hwy 71 north into Austin. I avoid I-35 at all costs, the stretch from Waco south to Austin will make you pull your hair out.

The I-10 route to Hwy 71, from Houston to Austin, is only gonna take you about 3 hours.

Monument Cafe in Georgetown is pretty good. Are y'all staying in Austin or out near the track? Wanted you to know the track is about 30-45min from Austin and there isn't much out by the track, mostly farmland.

We are sorta staying in between Austin and the track. Figured that would be best so we aren't right in downtown Austin and we can kick back a bit.

The last times I've been on 35 believe it or not have been my best experiences BY FAR. They are currently working on bridge construction between Waco and Austin so that is a crapshoot if they will have the freeway closed the night you are driving through, I think you can jump on the txdot website to see specifics of the work. It's not the same but when we came back down from Chicago we went through Memphis and hit up with I20.

As far as the track.. be very very prepared, they built the track quickly and the roads still have yet to be fully completed for the amount of people there. It's a good thing you have hotel room because I know it was nuts for those when it opened. People were getting calls at random from everyone going through the phone books asking for them to rent their house for the weekend for insane amounts. Enjoy the experience I wish I could go to it!

I agree that dropping down to I-10 seems to be out of the way. Especially if it is for the sake of avoiding DFW traffic. In my experience with Texas traffic, it's only bad during rush hours. I honestly think you would be fine driving through DFW if its during the middle of the day.

avoid 35 if you can even if it takes a couple more minutes longer. it'll be a hell of a lot less stressful

The last times I've been on 35 believe it or not have been my best experiences BY FAR. They are currently working on bridge construction between Waco and Austin so that is a crapshoot if they will have the freeway closed the night you are driving through, I think you can jump on the txdot website to see specifics of the work. It's not the same but when we came back down from Chicago we went through Memphis and hit up with I20.

As far as the track.. be very very prepared, they built the track quickly and the roads still have yet to be fully completed for the amount of people there. It's a good thing you have hotel room because I know it was nuts for those when it opened. People were getting calls at random from everyone going through the phone books asking for them to rent their house for the weekend for insane amounts. Enjoy the experience I wish I could go to it!

I'll check out the txdot site and see when the construction will be going on closer to the trip date. Hopefully it's smooth sailing the entire way!

Thank you for the tip about the track. I saw where they hardly had any of the parking lots paved and it was a super dust storm. :willy: And here I was going to put a few coats of QS to the test during this trip!

Hey Matt, speaking of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, have you ever tried the Mexican place (R&R Taqueria) in Elkridge? It's inside a Shell gas station but was on DD&D. I tried it and thought it was fantastic!

I haven't heard of that place but I will check it out! Any food recommendations along the way are greatly appreciated! Keep the suggestions coming!

I agree that dropping down to I-10 seems to be out of the way. Especially if it is for the sake of avoiding DFW traffic. In my experience with Texas traffic, it's only bad during rush hours. I honestly think you would be fine driving through DFW if its during the middle of the day.

Yeah it seems that the I-10 route may be getting the axe here soon but it's always good to have a backup just in case. My goals are to get a majority of the trip done in the first day and then see where we are at. I know I drove about 10 hours before just by myself and it wasn't too bad. I'm used to an hour daily commute one way to and from work and also a 5-6 hour commute to and from the better half. Plus with my friend going with me we can switch back and forth driving so that will help a ton too.

If you have some time when you are here the saltlick is some good BBQ. There is another saltlick in north Austin but nothing like the original. Round rock donuts are pretty good and not too far off 35. Mmmmm donuts haha. Both those places were on man vs food if you want to see the places beforehand.

If you have some time when you are here the saltlick is some good BBQ. There is another saltlick in north Austin but nothing like the original. Round rock donuts are pretty good and not too far off 35. Mmmmm donuts haha. Both those places were on man vs food if you want to see the places beforehand.

once your in Austin, there are a few really good places to eat...

first i always recommend, The Salt Lick BBQ if you can make it out to Dripping Springs

second is always, Wild Bubba's Wild Game Grill - get the Antelope burger!

Thank you both for the suggestions! I just ate lunch and both of those places sound great! Is the original Salt Lick BBQ the one in Driftwood? I see that as the original location on their site. Now I want to drive straight thru just so we can eat at all of these places! :lolsmack:

Edited by matts88yj

Thank you both for the suggestions! I just ate lunch and both of those places sound great! Is the original Salt Lick BBQ the one in Dripping Springs? Now I want to drive straight thru just so we can eat at all of these places! :lolsmack:

yeah its in Dripping Springs. my family and I go there around July 4th every year, because my uncle lives in Dripping Springs.

best BBQ sauce in the world! luckily they sell it at local grocery stores around here.

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

yeah its in Dripping Springs. my family and I go there around July 4th every year, because my uncle lives in Dripping Springs.

best BBQ sauce in the world! luckily they sell it at local grocery stores around here.

I will be picking up a bottle or 20 that's for sure! I love a good BBQ sauce!