Customer Service 866.965.0400

dryer sheet residue help

KADEVILLE

Question

Hey guys, this is my first post and I'm sort of new to Adams and recently received a blessing and became the owner of a brand new truck. My cousin told me about adams and I decided to Order the detail bag (with included items) and some Microfiber towels. I watched all the videos and I understand how to take care of these items and I watched vids on how to wash the towels. I dry my towels seperate from other laundry with no dryer sheets. however, dryer sheets do leave left over strings behind in the dryer from previous loads. I didn't notice until I was through drying off my truck that it had dryer sheet strings,residue, or whatever you want to call it, everywhere (almost looked like my truck was keyed, and my truck is black). I threw the towels I didn't use back in the dryer hoping the strings would come off and stick to the lent catcher but they are still stuck to the towels. any tips on this and how to take care of this issue without ruining anything? Thanks for any help. :confused:

15 answers to this question

Hmm, I've never had strings left behind from dryer sheets. Yes a towel 'contaminated' with fabric softener would definitely leave some ugly looking streaks on a finish. Its hard to say for sure, but if there is only minimal 'strings' in the towels maybe you can pull them out by hand? If you can get the strings out, a simple rewash with some Microfiber Revitalizer should get the rest of the fabric softener out. If that doesn't work, boiling microfiber generally releases all of the contaminates in the towels... For more on boiling on other microfiber questions, see the FAQ thread http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/microfiber-products/14121.htm

And welcome to the forums!

Welcome to the forum!

Never heard of dryer strings myself.

My wife accidentally washed a few MF with a dryer sheet and I had to replace my MF towels . I could never get them back to they way they were.

I do what Ryan above suggested and would try to pull them off the towels and rewash them. Honestly I have a funny feeling you are going to need to replace them. Once any dryer sheet is used or residue from one contaminates the micro fiber its usually a death sentence to the MF.

Thanks a lot for the replies!!! I appreciate it! I didn't think of boiling them I will give it a try. I Did try pulling them out by hand already but it's way to many and I can't see them well on the white towels, I can only see them on the edgeless towels. Y'all maybe right though. I will probably replace them. Might be the better solution and my white towels are almost black now anyway. Thanks again for the replies.

What brand of dryer sheet?

Pick off the stuff you can, wash them with Adam's Microfiber Revitatizer and Brightener, boil them for 10 minutes with a capfull of Distilled White Vinegar, rewash them and they'll be as good as new.

Anyone that wants to throw their microfiber towels out because they got fabric softener on them; I'll pay the shipping to send them to me :D

Most name brand dryer sheets like "Bounce" are made in China. I've noticed most of the off brand ones are made in the USA. Take a look! We by the cheap store brand ones which are made in the USA and have never had one fall apart. Dryer sheets are basically just a wax. So putting some Adams MF revitalizer in a bucket of hot water and letting the towels sit over night and then wash them using the revitalizer, will probably remove it all.

Boiling them down right BLOWS!

I hang dry my MF and won't be changing that anytime soon. :2thumbs:

Chris

My wife says that more than likely the "threads" are actually left over residue from drying terry towels like the ones you use in the bathroom rather than from the dryer sheets. She says that she's seen that "string" experience when she dries jeans after the towels. Could be the problem.

what brand of dryer sheet?

Pick off the stuff you can, wash them with adam's microfiber revitatizer and brightener, boil them for 10 minutes with a capfull of distilled white vinegar, rewash them and they'll be as good as new.

Anyone that wants to throw their microfiber towels out because they got fabric softener on them; i'll pay the shipping to send them to me :D

downy dryer sheets... Lol i don't know if i would go as far as shipping them out, they still may have hope! I guess i will have to order the revitalizer. I will try the boil option.

my wife says that more than likely the "threads" are actually left over residue from drying terry towels like the ones you use in the bathroom rather than from the dryer sheets. She says that she's seen that "string" experience when she dries jeans after the towels. Could be the problem.

ok i didn't even think about that! You think i dryer cleaner would help take care of that issue? I would think the lint catcher would suck all that residue up.

ok i didn't even think about that! You think i dryer cleaner would help take care of that issue? I would think the lint catcher would suck all that residue up.

Lint catchers never catch all the lint no matter how good of a dryer you own. Take a damp cloth and wipe the entire inside of the dryer if you're going to dry your towels in there, or get a drying rack and let them air dry. Heck, they even sell drying racks at the Dollar Store.

Most name brand dryer sheets like "Bounce" are made in China.

Chris

Not trying to hijack the thread...

Just ran out to the garage and checked my Bounce sheets and relieved to find out they are made in Canada.

Maybe it's just the ones sold at Wal-Mart that are china?? I get mine from Safeway.

Not trying to hijack the thread...

Just ran out to the garage and checked my Bounce sheets and relieved to find out they are made in Canada.

Maybe it's just the ones sold at Wal-Mart that are china?? I get mine from Safeway.

It may be another name brand I'm thinking of. Just check them... Of course it may be a different series of Bounce as well that's made in China.