Customer Service 866.965.0400

How do you guys deal with pollen?

carlrx7

Question

It's February and the pollen is starting to fall here in Charleston, SC. Any products repel pollen more than others? Aka quick sealant vs MSS vs American vs Buttery?

I'm not a believer in any kind of waterless wash and just stick to the two bucket method then blow dry followed up by a DS wiped down.

Current protection is MSS, Glaze, Americana.

Thanks!!

-Carl

what is the difference between the quick and super machine, other than method of application?

Machine super sealant is longer lasting and more durable when allowed the full curing time. Quick sealant is much easier to apply and remove.

I picked up a foam lance to hook up to my pressure washer. My pw has all quick disconnect fittings so in hoping I can foam,spray,foam,spray then airdry faster than a WCW.

/**Sent from my iPhone5**/

I've got my wash down to around 40 minutes now, including a full clean of wheels and wheel wells.

The only way that I've been able to do this is by using a foam lance on a pressure washer.

To answer the question re. pollen however, back on topic, I use a California Duster extremely lightly every morning before I pull the car out of the garage. It takes me about 5 minutes to go over the car, perhaps a little longer, and I'll only ever do it if it hasn't rained outside.

I know that a lot of people complain about the California Duster, but the famous 'Junkman' did a fantastic video on YouTube about it, and I've never had any problems. I always dust with no pressure, not even the weight of the brush itself, and I always go in the same direction. I started doing this to identify any swirls (which would obviously follow the direction I was consistently dusting in), and I've since continued doing this out of habit. I have never seen any swirls from using the California Duster in this way, but I've seen a hell of a lot of problems from people who rub the paint with it.

Just thought of a few other points...

1. I have seen some horrific copies of the original California Duster. I bought one once, when I was living in Korea, that was actually held together with very fine copper wires. If you parted the strings on the brush itself, at the base of the head it was more like wire wool! That thing went straight in the trash, so I'm only speaking about the genuine article here.

2. I do also use Adam's Waterless Car Wash, and find it to be superb. I find that I can go for about a week with dusting the car in the mornings, before other more persistent marks start appearing. These might be tree sap, or other dust that is more sticky I suppose. At this point, I'll use Waterless Car Wash to go over the whole car, followed by Adam's Detail Spray (can't wait to try the new formula by the way... which is waiting for me at home; delivered today!).

3. I always keep a small size bottle of Waterless Car Wash in the glove box of my car, along with the appropriate towel. This is to combat bird bombs, which my paint seems to be affected very badly by, even when coated with Adam's sealants and waxs.

Ooh... nasty.

I wish there was a better way to remove pollen. I've dreamed about approaches in the future where something in the bodywork of the car actually repels dust, sort of like how sensors in DSLRs have an ultrasonic self cleaning feature these days.

Wouldn't it be great if you could just get up to speed (around 30mph), press a button, and all of the dust just blew off and disappeared...

Ooh... nasty.

I wish there was a better way to remove pollen. I've dreamed about approaches in the future where something in the bodywork of the car actually repels dust, sort of like how sensors in DSLRs have an ultrasonic self cleaning feature these days.

Wouldn't it be great if you could just get up to speed (around 30mph), press a button, and all of the dust just blew off and disappeared...

Very nasty. The truck was 90% clean when I parked it there this morning. Withing a couple hours it started turning yellow. The windshield is covered pretty well also. Some of the heavier stuff does blow off when I get on the highway so that self cleaning button would be perfect. :thumbsup:

My way of dealing with the pollen... Wash the cars once a week during pollen season and try not to look at the cars between washes.

Instead I stay away and look for other things to detail... Kitchen counters, shower glass, all the windows on the house, lawn mower, computers, tvs, ceiling fans, backyard furniture, washer, dryer, kitchen ss appliances...this will usually keep me from being too distracted that the pollen won't depress me too much.:jester:

My way of dealing with the pollen... Wash the cars once a week during pollen season and try not to look at the cars between washes.

Instead I stay away and look for other things to detail... Kitchen counters, shower glass, all the windows on the house, lawn mower, computers, tvs, ceiling fans, backyard furniture, washer, dryer, kitchen ss appliances...this will usually keep me from being too distracted that the pollen won't depress me too much.:jester:

I can't overlook the pollen on my hood and windshield as I'm driving the vehicle. :D I can't help but see it every time I get in the vicinity of my vehicles. I'm just glad I don't have a black one.

I also ended picking up the WW special last week, with 10 WW towels, one swipe per towel side keeps me at ease. found myself using about 12oz of WW and then i go back over it with the new detail spray, 3 sprays each fender/surface and 4 SS mf towels.. about 30 mins. I HATE POLLEN.. but i wish it would stop raining. :(

482204_10151538041973628_315978823_n.jpg

flooded the garage about 2 inches as well. No Adams Products were harmed in the taking of the photo above. lol

-Carl

Edited by carlrx7

I also ended picking up the WW special last week, with 10 WW towels, one swipe per towel side keeps me at ease. found myself using about 12oz of WW and then i go back over it with the new detail spray, 3 sprays each fender/surface and 4 SS mf towels.. about 30 mins. I HATE POLLEN.. but i wish it would stop raining. :(

482204_10151538041973628_315978823_n.jpg

flooded the garage about 2 inches as well. No Adams Products were harmed in the taking of the photo above. lol

-Carl

We had rain all of last weekend plus yesterday. It did stop on Sunday for a while and I washed my truck. By the time I finished drying it, there was a light film of yellow pollen on it. When the rain stops, the pollen comes right away.

Car covers! It’s the only true solution in the south! Get the 4-6 layered ones- in the spring and summer our driveway looks like an alien invasion with all the covered vehicles- wish they made s cover for our screen porch! Gotta love the South—- oh yes you do!!! 

19 hours ago, Lisad said:

Car covers! It’s the only true solution in the south! Get the 4-6 layered ones- in the spring and summer our driveway looks like an alien invasion with all the covered vehicles- wish they made s cover for our screen porch! Gotta love the South—- oh yes you do!!! 

Is that a record for reviving and old thread or what?!

8 minutes ago, Humanoid Typhoon said:

Just buy or paint your car yellow.😄

I just stop at the pay n spray and rinse my truck with their spotless rinse every other day or so and let it air dry.

I can speak from experience a yellow car does not help 😂🤣

7 hours ago, Jberlen said:

I can speak from experience a yellow car does not help 😂🤣

Neither does a Red one.  Leaving the top down for a day ensures that you will spend plenty of time cleaning the interior - If you need to ask me how I know, just believe me when I tell you experience is a great teacher - Twice!!!!

30 minutes ago, RayS said:

Neither does a Red one.  Leaving the top down for a day ensures that you will spend plenty of time cleaning the interior - If you need to ask me how I know, just believe me when I tell you experience is a great teacher - Twice!!!!

I did that right after get my mustang. I was late for work so just left the top down. Took me hours to clean the black interior of my car