Customer Service 866.965.0400

Coats of wax

FarbeyondDriven

Question

So the other day i was watching the guys at my job wax the floors. They do pretty much the same thing you would do to a car. Strip wash, polish, and wax. They even use a random orbital buffer. Only theirs is 15 times the size of my porter cable haha. The one thing i noticed is they put down 3 coats of wax. where as after i polish my car i put down one coat of Americana, or one coat of Super sealant, etc.

So my question is, can you/should you put down more then 1 coat of wax. I mean it makes sense, having a few coats on your car would protect the finish more. Why is it, that we always just put one coat of wax.

If you do put coats down, should you do them one right after another, a few hours apart? a day apart? How should I go about this?

14 answers to this question

Well look at it this way, are you gonna walk on the paint of your car. Multiple coats on floor act as an extra layer of protection just like wax on a car but the multiple coats on a floor are the clear coat on a car! Now ya not gonna strip your clear coat. I honestly don't see the benefit of multiple coats of wax if the first coat actually does its job. IMO

When I do a serious detail and paint correction on my G8. After Im completely done I usually put a coat of brilliant glaze and a double coat of Americana on it. After my first application I usually will wait an hour or less and do another coat.

I figure it cannot hurt and only protect.

The Adams team does state that two THIN coats of Americana is better than one THICK coat.

I usually do a sealant followed by wax so I never do 2 coats of wax.

:iagree: I used 1 coat of QS and 1 coat of APW on my truck, which stays outside and gets to take on the harsh winter roads (and being 4x4...I push that to the limit sometimes), and after about 3 months and 2 or 3 washes the wax has held up fine so far. The morning dew/ice still beads and rain rolls off in huge puddles.

Think of it this way...

Sealants are the hardest form of protection you can add to your clear coat (being thin), while waxes are the tallest form. APW being the tallest Adam's sells. It's Premium Ingredients allow it to "stand tall" vs a Sealant, both still protecting paint.

Is there a benefit to adding multiple coats of both to your car? I would like to think that I am extra protected by having the QS/BG/APW combo on my Trailblazer Super Sport. Do I layer my wax more than two coats at a time? No. I don't see the benefit. I do however wax my truck every 8 weeks or so. At some point, you risk the chance of clouding up your paint.

Mook

Theres diminishing return with wax layers beyond 2-3 THIN coats... anything beyond that you're wasting product and/or actually causing the finish to be less glossy/shiny.

With sealants there is a much larger ability to stack, but even there its not like you can throw down 10 coats and see a huge benefit.

With any product I'd say 2 coats max... more than that and the benefits are debatable (other than an excuse to rub on your car)

Your thrify vs fifty episodes on youtube are a really great idea:thumbsup:

:bow:

Thank you!! I can't tell you how nice it is to hear things like that especially when those videos take SO LONG to make :)

You just made my day (night?)!

:banana:

P.S. Thanks for watching!