Customer Service 866.965.0400

Why am I creating MORE swirls??

K5/TBSS

Question

So this is a newb question - but for the life of me I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...

Ever since I bought my new wash pad... I've had an issue with creating swirls as I'm washing. They aren't so much "swirls", as in a tightly wrapped circle, as they are longer sweeping swirl marks that exactly replicate how I wash the car...

I have plenty of suds, I always powerwash beforehand to remove most of the dirt, thus the car is also always wet, I USUALLY don't wash in the direct sunlight, and I think I go back to the bucket enough to rinse, and use a 2 bucket system.

So my question is, what am I doing wrong? Is my pad not getting clean enough? I always rinse out the pad after washing, using the grit guard technique Adam uses in his videos. I store them on top of the grit guard in the wash bucket with the lid on (but not sealed) once the pad dries.

Let me know if you have any advice... Thanks!

So this is a newb question - but for the life of me I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...

Ever since I bought my new wash pad... I've had an issue with creating swirls as I'm washing. They aren't so much "swirls", as in a tightly wrapped circle, as they are longer sweeping swirl marks that exactly replicate how I wash the car...

I have plenty of suds, I always powerwash beforehand to remove most of the dirt, thus the car is also always wet, I USUALLY don't wash in the direct sunlight, and I think I go back to the bucket enough to rinse, and use a 2 bucket system.

So my question is, what am I doing wrong? Is my pad not getting clean enough? I always rinse out the pad after washing, using the grit guard technique Adam uses in his videos. I store them on top of the grit guard in the wash bucket with the lid on (but not sealed) once the pad dries.

Let me know if you have any advice... Thanks!

Is it possible that you have some dirt/junk in your drying towel(s)?

Pics would help. Are you claying? Two bucket, with steps as follows?:

1) Wash pad in soap bucket

2) Onto car, flipping as needed, not more than one panel at a time

3) Off car into rinse

4) wring out in rinse bucket

5) back into soap bucket

6) repeat...

Drying technique? Towels used?

If towels can you use leaf blower to see if ts washing or drying technique?

Let us know...

-Mike

Edited by gencoupe3dot8

Easy answer...

- If you are using the normal wash pads - that's your problem. After a few washes they become rougher and create swirls. This is probably only noticed on highly maintained dark colored vehicles like yours and mine. I no longer use them and instead use the merino wool mitt. Problem fixed. If you insist on using the normal wash mitts, be prepared to change them often and retire the old pad to wheel or undercarriage duty.

Now to the reality of the situation - you will always create light swirls over time no matter how careful or how premium the product is...

All you can do is limit the damage and plan to correct it once or twice a year depending on your own desires.

Edited by camaro2ssblack

Is it possible that you have some dirt/junk in your drying towel(s)?

I don't think so. I can see the swirls I'm creating before I start drying.

Pics would help. Are you claying? Two bucket, with steps as follows?:

1) Wash pad in soap bucket

2) Onto car, flipping as needed, not more than one panel at a time

3) Off car into rinse

4) wring oot in rinse bucket

5) back into soap bucket

6) repeat...

That's the exactly procedure I use... Is it possible to wash the mit afterwards in say the washer/dryer? Perhaps there's something in the pad that I don't get out from rinsing against the grit guard, with the water hose?

Easy answer...

- If you are using the normal wash pads - that's your problem. After a few washes they become rougher and create swirls. This is probably only noticed on highly maintained dark colored vehicles like yours and mine. I no longer use them and instead use the merino wool mitt. Problem fixed. If you insist on using the normal wash mitts, be prepared to change them often and retire the old pad to wheel or undercarriage duty.

While I don't have a black car I haven't experienced the same thing you are describing, but I air dry my car (Master blaster). I also use a pressure washer/foam lance and use my two buckets, dipping into the rinse as above, and flip my pad over often. I have the pads and the mitt, and I haven't seen pad caused swirls yet....

Your mileage may (and likely does) vary.

-Mike

Easy answer...

Now to the reality of the situation - you will always create light swirls over time no matter how careful or how premium the product is...

All you can do is limit the damage and plan to correct it once or twice a year depending on your own desires.

That might be my issue... I actually do have the merino mitt, but actually prefer the regular wash pads in most cases. I've only used the regular pads half a dozen times, but if it does become rough I will switch back to the merino and see if I get a difference in the results...

I do realize you create a small amount of swirls each wash, no matter how much care you take in keeping your mit clean, but I think what I'm getting now is excessive. Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

Is this what you are using?

Adam's Professional Car Wash Pad

If so how old is it? Sometimes when they get older they will get like dread locks, and they may cause swirls.........

On my black car after I spray it off first then I spray WCW all over the car (this makes your paint super slick) and I also make sure that I have a lot of soap on my mitt or pad. I hope this helps!:thumbsup:

That might be my issue... I actually do have the merino mitt, but actually prefer the regular wash pads in most cases. I've only used the regular pads half a dozen times, but if it does become rough I will switch back to the merino and see if I get a difference in the results...

I do realize you create a small amount of swirls each wash, no matter how much care you take in keeping your mit clean, but I think what I'm getting now is excessive. Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

I agree the wash pad is more user friendly...holds tons of suds, easy to handle etc but the proof is in the pudding. Your merino wool mitt will NOT cause swirls by its own fibers unless you simply neglect it.

If your wash pad is "rough" after a few uses theres something wrong... if cared for properly, brushed out regularly, and cleaned they should last many many washes. I have one in the warehouse that I've used for at least a dozen cars now and I've brushed it out 2 or 3 times... you'd be hard pressed to tell it apart from a new one.

It sounds like the OP may be rinsing often enough with the two bucket system. A couple more questions for the OP:

1) are the wash pads dedicated or marked for upper and lower body use? Just want to be sure you never use a pad used on a lower panel on an upper panel.

2) what is your wash technique for cleaning the wash pads after you are done with the car? Dylan and others have addressed the brushing out but how are you cleaning the pads?

You might want to do the "CD Test" with your wash pads and towels to see what item needs cleaning/conditioning/replacement.

:thumbsup:

I only have one wash pad, so I have to use the same pad for the whole car. However I do always wash the entire top half of the car before I move to the lower section. Perhaps I'll start using the Merino on the upper part of the car, and the regular wash pad on the lower part...

Once the car is done I rinse out the wash pad on the grit guard, just as Adam does in his videos. I'll see if I can find some sort of brush to clean and frill it with also, that's the first time I've heard that tip. Thanks guys!

I take a brush to my pads and merino mitt frequently... like my beard brush will work. Keeps them super fluffy and like new just like my beard. And you know how fluffy I like to keep my beard. Also, helps get little things that are embedded deep inside out.

Fixed......:jester:

I only have one wash pad, so I have to use the same pad for the whole car. However I do always wash the entire top half of the car before I move to the lower section. Perhaps I'll start using the Merino on the upper part of the car, and the regular wash pad on the lower part...

Once the car is done I rinse out the wash pad on the grit guard, just as Adam does in his videos. I'll see if I can find some sort of brush to clean and frill it with also, that's the first time I've heard that tip. Thanks guys!

Since you only have one pad, today's special is a perfect time to pick up two free wash pads with a car shampoo! :thumbsup:

If your wash pad is "rough" after a few uses theres something wrong... if cared for properly, brushed out regularly, and cleaned they should last many many washes. I have one in the warehouse that I've used for at least a dozen cars now and I've brushed it out 2 or 3 times... you'd be hard pressed to tell it apart from a new one.

What do you mean you brush out the wash pad and how? Thanks