Customer Service 866.965.0400

Issue with quick sealant

K5/TBSS

Question

I washed the SS last night and the water wasn't beading up as much as I'd like it to, so I decided to throw on some quick sealant, glaze, and APW...

This has happened before but seemed especially bad last night. I spray on and apply the sealant, then when I wipe it up, the paint feels especially tacky, and actually leaves lint from my microfiber towel on the paint. I can't get it to come off! Usually, if I let it set for 5 or so minutes, it's not nearly as bad... I went back and watched Dylan's video and noticed he wipes it away right away, so I tried that, same results...

What am I doing wrong? Is there an issue with my towels? Perhaps the spring humidity? Have any of you had this problem? TIA.

*EDIT* I don't think I'm using too much product, I spray on about the same amount as he does in the video, any less and the applicator seems to not glide across the paint at all.

There's a couple of ways to skin this cat... I usually spray my MF applicator with the AQS and apply instead of spraying the car with it and spreading.

I wait 5-10 minutes and then remove. AQS can create some streaking that's noticeable on darker colors and I've seen where it's almost impossible to remove if left to cure too long, but I've never had tacky. I could see this happening if you're applying it over a carnuba based product. The solvents may liquify the leftover carnuba and create an issue.

As for the shedding of the MF, that's a WHOLE separate issue. It sounds like you MF has reached the end of its life. I've got several towels that do that. I use them for polishing, but not for my LSP removal.

Chris

Are you applying over the top of anything else? I've seen similar results when topping waxes... the sealant doesn't like to be on top of wax in some situations.

Other possible issues: Temps and humidity. If its really hot or cold (or very damp/humid) you can see some issues sometimes.

I never "fog" the panel. I always apply the Quick Sealant to the applicator and then apply to the panel. Also, I do the entire vehicle that way and then come back to "level" after ~5 minutes from doing the entire vehicle.

Well, I didn't do the strip wash, as I didn't plan on even waxing it when I started washing... It sounds like that was my problem.

On another subject, I've never done an IPA wipedown... I've never heard Adam or Dylan or anyone from Adam's talk much about its benefits so I've never invested in it. Not saying they HAVEN'T said that... Just haven't seen it. Any write ups on here on how to do a wipedown, explained by one of Adam's guys? Just wondering.

Thanks for the help, all!

There's a couple of ways to skin this cat... I usually spray my MF applicator with the AQS and apply instead of spraying the car with it and spreading.

I wait 5-10 minutes and then remove. AQS can create some streaking that's noticeable on darker colors and I've seen where it's almost impossible to remove if left to cure too long, but I've never had tacky. I could see this happening if you're applying it over a carnuba based product. The solvents may liquify the leftover carnuba and create an issue.

As for the shedding of the MF, that's a WHOLE separate issue. It sounds like you MF has reached the end of its life. I've got several towels that do that. I use them for polishing, but not for my LSP removal.

Chris

I don't think it's the towel's "fault". All other times I've used them they've never left lint... I've only used these towels probably half a dozen times...

Well, I didn't do the strip wash, as I didn't plan on even waxing it when I started washing... It sounds like that was my problem.

On another subject, I've never done an IPA wipedown... I've never heard Adam or Dylan or anyone from Adam's talk much about its benefits so I've never invested in it. Not saying they HAVEN'T said that... Just haven't seen it. Any write ups on here on how to do a wipedown, explained by one of Adam's guys? Just wondering.

Thanks for the help, all!

not much to discuss, though its probably mentioned in about 1000 threads at one time or another.

you do an IPA wipe down to strip a panel of any previously applied products. 1:1 dilution will usually suffice, spray, wipe with towel. Done. Thats really all there is to it.

Dumb question, but I thought that's exactly what a strip wash does?

It does... This just allows you to do one panel at a time if needed, and it spares all the trim on the car from the stripping abilities of APC or Dawn.

Personally, I only use IPA. I prefer it.

Dumb question, but I thought that's exactly what a strip wash does?

For the most part, yes. Some sealants are hard enough that using an acidic cleaner like Adam's APC mixed into the Car Wash Shampoo bucket, won't be phased. Adam's Machine Super Sealant for example takes me both a strip wash and an IPA wipedown to ensure it's gone.

Going forward, remember Sealants go to bare clear coat. Never layer a Sealant over a wax. Therefore, if you don't have time to do a full strip, just stick to laying another coat of wax down until you do have time.

Mook

Ok thanks. I have about 1/3 of a clay bar left since my friend dropped the other piece on the floor. You think that is enough bar to clay the whole vehicle?

Ok thanks. I have about 1/3 of a clay bar left since my friend dropped the other piece on the floor. You think that is enough bar to clay the whole vehicle?

Knowing your TBSS has been clayed at least somewhat recently you should be fine with 1/3 bar to complete it this time around.

Thanks for all the advice guys... I assume IPA can be bought at Wal-Mart, etc.?

That is correct. Any local store would have isopropyl alcohol, usually in the first aid sections next to or near the rubbing alcohol.

Knowing your TBSS has been clayed at least somewhat recently you should be fine with 1/3 bar to complete it this time around.

That is correct. Any local store would have isopropyl alcohol, usually in the first aid sections next to or near the rubbing alcohol.

Get the 70% stuff! The 91% is too strong! Right near the band-aids.

Make sure it's the unscented stuff. Someone on here bought some green stuff that had mint or something in it.

I bought the 70/30 put it into a spray bottle, then added a bit more water to it. That was about 4 years ago and I have pretty much a full bottle. lol It doesn't take a lot.

Chris

Make sure it's the unscented stuff. Someone on here bought some green stuff that had mint or something in it.

I bought the 70/30 put it into a spray bottle, then added a bit more water to it. That was about 4 years ago and I have pretty much a full bottle. lol It doesn't take a lot.

Chris

Man, really? I bought the two pack big bottles of 70/30 from Sam's and have gone through a whole bottle in the past month. I cut it half/half with Distilled water too. Although I soak the paint when I do it lol. I don't have faith in IPA's lubricity to be rubbing on the paint with a MF. It's not detail spray :jester:

I remember reading somewhere that more than 10% opens paint pores and is all you need. I just use more to be sure but not 91%. IPA is cheap.

There was a whole writeup on another website about it the dilution ratios and why you shouldn't use full strength IPA wipedowns.

I washed the SS last night and the water wasn't beading up as much as I'd like it to, so I decided to throw on some quick sealant, glaze, and APW...

This has happened before but seemed especially bad last night. I spray on and apply the sealant, then when I wipe it up, the paint feels especially tacky, and actually leaves lint from my microfiber towel on the paint. I can't get it to come off! Usually, if I let it set for 5 or so minutes, it's not nearly as bad... I went back and watched Dylan's video and noticed he wipes it away right away, so I tried that, same results...

Greetings everyone,

I'm having a similar issue as the original opening post to this topic.  I just finished polishing the mustang (strip wash, clay, and Adam's new 2-step polish system) and I went to apply QS.  I sprayed a little QS into my applicator and then fogged a portion of the hood.  After leveling the QS with my applicator I waited a few minutes and then leveled it off with my double soft towel.  As the opening post stated the paint felt tacky and rough after QS.  I did not have any linting issues with the towel.  After letting the product set up I noticed smear like marks on the hood.  I used revive polish to remove the QS from the hood and now the paint looks perfect again.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I've watched the application videos and my routine is a copy of what I see on the video. 

Any ideas?  I can always use MSS and then Americana but I wanted to see how QS would work.

Thanks,

Eric