Customer Service 866.965.0400

Opti-Coat

J.greenroyd

Question

Is this the one that is mixed with water and you simply spray in on and hose it off?

Kevin

I keep seeing it on other forums, what exactly is it? Is it better than wax or sealant or what?

Its amazing and its infinitely better than waxes or sealants.  I wouldnt put it on a garage queen because it takes the fun out of detailing but for DDs its a no brainer if you want ultimate protection from the elements and a vehicle that cleans up super easily.

No need to discuss the science behind it on this forum but there is plenty of reading to do elsewhere. 

Its a semi-permanent coating... think of it as a really really really durable sealant or a clear coat for your clear coat. It has its positives and negatives. As with anything "latest and greatest" in the detailing world a lot of times the pros are overstated a bit as people get wrapped up in the flavor of the month. 

I would ask though that discussions of other products remain respectful of the rules here on AF. We'll allow for the Q&A stuff, but if this turns into a soapbox for another product the thread will be closed. 

I've looked at it...  Looking at what they say makes me NOT want it.  They claim "YEARS" of protection.  I'm sure that's true and false.  I'd bet money that it'll off years of protection on the car sitting in my garage all the time, but won't on my vehicle driving in the winter months and sitting outside with bird poo and fall out hitting it.  

I'm just not bitting yet...  If it was as amazing as they claim, more people would have like products IMO.

ALL JMO of course.  

I have 22PLE on the car as a sealant since it's a daily.  It's much more of a PITA to put on than MSS or especially QS but it's supposed to last longer.  We'll see how long it lasts, I haven't bought into it lasting 18 months yet.  It beads the same as MSS but I think maybe repels water a little better, hard to tell really.

My personal opinion?  These nano-coatings still just look like sealants.  You get gloss and beading but you won't get the deep wet look unless you LSP a wax/glaze over it anyway.  When I run out of this I will probably just go back to MSS as it's infinitely easier to put on and MUCH MUCH cheaper.

Also I like to wax/glaze my car because I like the look.  When you have a coating on, since nothing really sticks to them the wax doesn't last very long at all.  A down side for me.

Edited by ForceofWill

I kinda want to try the stuff...but from what I understand, if you don't lay it down right you can get visible imperfections like high spots or even runs or drips, and allegedly it's a bear to get it off in the event you don't fix it before it cures. 

That said a sealer that lasted 18 months in my neck of the woods would be ideal. 

I've looked at it... Looking at what they say makes me NOT want it. They claim "YEARS" of protection. I'm sure that's true and false. I'd bet money that it'll off years of protection on the car sitting in my garage all the time, but won't on my vehicle driving in the winter months and sitting outside with bird poo and fall out hitting it.

I'm just not bitting yet... If it was as amazing as they claim, more people would have like products IMO.

ALL JMO of course.

Yes it's definitely not a permanent solution and overhyped a tad. But its still a great and revolutionary product and at about the same price as a tub of Americana, it's priced about right.

As far as other companies doing it, they are, there's at least 10 others but Opticoat was the forerunner and therefore gets the street cred so to speak.

From what i have seen on another forum a lot of detailers use opti coat on customers who really neglect their ride and don't have time to detail themselves.  IF i ever tried it i would have someone who knows how to apply it do it for me and i would look over their shoulder to see how its done.  Im pretty sure id screw it up somewhere on my truck and freak out.  

It pretty much self levels, some spots that they call hot spots mush be wiped within 20 minutes but from what I saw it pretty much disappears fast, right before your eyes.

It says permanent. , hmmmmm.

If you do you do use it make sure all swirls are gone before applying.

I'll have to do more research on it.

Maybe do one panel ,then wait a week to see how it looks after its cured well, says it cures in 24 hours and nothing will affect it including bird droppings.

Like I said I want to try Adam's Quick Sealant first and I'll give a review on it.

Kevin

Opti-Coat is great but IMO I have sen just as much protection and beading from Machine Super Sealant, only place it might have an upper hand is clarity and a little more clear.  And at that point its almost impossible to tell, idk I believe as time goes by these nano-sealant will get better and better when teams like Adams jump on board too they will be out of this world.  

Super easy to apply. Its not that hard to get off just compound through it and thats all. Its not the end all be all of lsps but its for people who totally dont care about their cars imo. I offer it and people love it. Installed it on a suburban and its going on 18 months now beading like crazy. If the surface is not perfect and clean it wont adhere. But me I love the freshly waxed look. All opinions like stated above. I love americana to much to give it up:)

I would try it but first I want to try Adams QS, I think it may be all I need.

If I like it I'll use it on ever car that I do.

Kevin

I'd love to get some quick sealant too. It really sucks having to wait 24 hours for the MSS to cure before I can wax. Turns an afternoon project in to a 2 day project. 

Hopefully it will be back in stock before the summer is over lol

Its a semi-permanent coating... think of it as a really really really durable sealant or a clear coat for your clear coat. It has its positives and negatives. As with anything "latest and greatest" in the detailing world a lot of times the pros are overstated a bit as people get wrapped up in the flavor of the month. 

I would ask though that discussions of other products remain respectful of the rules here on AF. We'll allow for the Q&A stuff, but if this turns into a soapbox for another product the thread will be closed. 

Dylan, I have it on my car and it is being polished off since I miss waxing. 

So yeah it definitely does have its pros and cons.

But with that said, I wouldn't call it a "Flavor of the Month." Considering it's been out since 2006 and the consumer version has been out since 2009 and it's pretty much the bar to beat when it comes to coatings, I'd call it pretty much a standard now. 

I'd love to get some quick sealant too. It really sucks having to wait 24 hours for the MSS to cure before I can wax. Turns an afternoon project in to a 2 day project. 

Hopefully it will be back in stock before the summer is over lol

If I am applying Americana over MSS I wait until after the next wash to wax. It will need some type of cleaning after sitting for 24 hours anyway, so I just wait until it gets a little dirtier.  

Super easy to apply. Its not that hard to get off just compound through it and thats all. Its not the end all be all of lsps but its for people who totally dont care about their cars imo. I offer it and people love it. Installed it on a suburban and its going on 18 months now beading like crazy. If the surface is not perfect and clean it wont adhere. But me I love the freshly waxed look. All opinions like stated above. I love americana to much to give it up:)

Thats a good point. I enjoy the process of trying new products, waxing, etc too much to have a semi-permanent coating. I get where the appeal lies as far as longevity, but it does take some of the joy out of the process. 

Dylan, I have it on my car and it is being polished off since I miss waxing. 

So yeah it definitely does have its pros and cons.

But with that said, I wouldn't call it a "Flavor of the Month." Considering it's been out since 2006 and the consumer version has been out since 2009 and it's pretty much the bar to beat when it comes to coatings, I'd call it pretty much a standard now. 

I don't mean "flavor of the month" so much in terms of it being a short term thing, but as we've discussed before (in the rupes thread) the detailing community latches on the the NEW thing and preach about it as if its the be all - end all. 

LIke many have said. If you like detailing and waxing your car Opti-Coat is not for you. I've applied it to my family cars as most of them only wash their cars once a month if that, it's been over a year and gloss and it's still beading. Application is a bit of PITA and paint feels kind of grabby. 

All I know is Adam's Quick Sealant got me over 8 mos. protection in this weather, and it only cost me $20, took about 20 mins to apply, and I can layer over it if I want.

DITTO on all accounts!  My car is 4.5 years old and looks as good today (actually better) than the day I got it.  

but as we've discussed before (in the rupes thread) the detailing community latches on the the NEW thing and preach about it as if its the be all - end all. 

Just like the new compound and polish will be the be all - end all! :banana:

All I know is Adam's Quick Sealant got me over 8 mos. protection in this weather, and it only cost me $20, took about 20 mins to apply, and I can layer over it if I want.

+1 for Mook! :)QS is quick and very effective! 

Remember guys!  There are Adams distributors out there that probably have the AQS in stock.  Look them up and order from them.

It's honestly WORTH IT!  Also, I stock up.  I think I have 3-4 cans.  

Remember guys!  There are Adams distributors out there that probably have the AQS in stock.  Look them up and order from them.

It's honestly WORTH IT!  Also, I stock up.  I think I have 3-4 cans.  

Agreed. I mentioned this earlier as well, however I just reached out to one of them directly just to make sure. Once confirmed I will be ordering for myself, then sharing with everyone they do have QS in stock. :banana:

Edited by JBlack151