Customer Service 866.965.0400

sealing/glazing/waxing Q's

windycitylp

Question

i used megs nxt before (end of may)i obtained my adams products.if i want to use the quick sealant, can i just let the wax wear off, (how will i know its worn off?) or do i have to do a dawn wash to make sure its all gone? 

my car is garaged most of its non driving time. i do use it to commute(50mi one way)a few times a week so it does encounter a lot of bug debris.  i do live in the midwest and they use salt around here. so is the quick sealant a necessity for me or will the glaze/buttery wax be good enough? 

could i just glaze and buttery wax over the top of the previous wax job? im new to all this and appreciate all tips. ive spent a good amount of money on this website already so im tryin to avoid buying too much more. thx

23 answers to this question

Definitely want to strip off all the old wax before applying any new product. That way the sealant has a perfect surface to bond to and it will last longer. If you encounter a lot of bugs from what I've heard Quick Sealant is the way to go - just ordered some earlier today. And you can do Quick Sealant - then Glaze - then wax.

Dawn is going to be a little harsh on your trim. We recommend Adam's All Purpose Cleaner (2-4oz.) in your Car Wash Shampoo Bucket, to strip any prior protection before you decontaminate your paint and/or polish it. Adam's Quick Sealant seems to be an exceeding expectation product overall, and is a really quick and effective way to go for paint and wheel protection:

Mook

^ got that right Mook! You guys should put me on the AQS payroll. I'll convince the masses! I love me some AQS. Perhaps I'll hit the truck and car with 1-2 coats MSS next correction. I've done the truck before, crazy reflective shine. Almost mirror reflection, very impressive. AQS provides the same type of reflection, just not to the degree of MSS.

I say I'll use MSS now, but after 8 hours of detailing it's amazing how AQS calls to you... "Use me Matt, I'm so fast, and you deserve a break after all that polishing!" LMAO.

Adam, if you're dealing with a commute like that, you absolutely need to seal that paint. If not MSS, then AQS. Even if you do go MSS, use a coat of wax, then you could even go 1-2 coats AQS on the leading edges. Bugs can really do a number on your clear if not adequately protected against. Mid-West farms lead to mid-west insects, lead to sad clears! :)

I was stationed in ND for a while so I know I know what summer bug season can be like.

Edited by IrishCurse

I found out the hard way to NOT let it cure long before wiping. A minute or two is all AQS NEEDS OR YOU'll be absolutely fighting to remove residue. I let it sit for an hour and removing it became an exercise in futility. You can fog a panel, minute or two, wipe, move to next panel. By the time the car has been done, you can apply the next coat to he first panel and so on. No cure like MSS, which is why I use it almost exclusively. MSS is he most protective, but foR me, AQS is a fantastic balance of ease-of-use and protection.

I have every product they carry and gallons of each, crazy towels, etc. The addiction get worse, its all downhill from here, lol. I just think its sweet that you're that into taking care of your car and having pride in it at such a relatively young age.

Haha well I've got just about everything including gallon refills, now I've just gotta get the polishes and flex and all that. Once I start making a profit the Flex will be the next purchase. And appreciate it man it's just something I've always loved doing for friends/family and want to start doing it for more people now. I'd say discovering Adam's is the whole reason I made that choice. Hoping that I can detail cars on the side during any of my free time pursuing my engineering degree. 

thanks for the responses. very helpful. i have the apc so ill probably try using that when i do the sealant. so a 1:1 ratio of apc to adams shampoo sound right for the strip? when i go to strip the wax, is there anything else i should do? or just the wash it like normal using apc/shampoo?my car is new, apr2013, so im assuming i shouldnt have to clay it yet(havent tested with the baggie yet), plus im tryin to keep this as simple as possible, time is at a premium. i had my first lil one last week. 

another question, i have a yukon xl, and washing the roof is very tedious. anyone have tips on that? i use a ladder right now but its still quite a reach. i havent seen any adams products for this yet. 

thanks again for the help

Adam, if you're dealing with a commute like that, you absolutely need to seal that paint. If not MSS, then AQS. Even if you do go MSS, use a coat of wax, then you could even go 1-2 coats AQS on the leading edges. Bugs can really do a number on your clear if not adequately protected against. Mid-West farms lead to mid-west insects, lead to sad clears! :)

I was stationed in ND for a while so I know I know what summer bug season can be like.

went to UND. 98-02. those are winters. lol

thanks for the responses. very helpful. i have the apc so ill probably try using that when i do the sealant. so a 1:1 ratio of apc to adams shampoo sound right for the strip? when i go to strip the wax, is there anything else i should do? or just the wash it like normal using apc/shampoo?my car is new, apr2013, so im assuming i shouldnt have to clay it yet(havent tested with the baggie yet), plus im tryin to keep this as simple as possible, time is at a premium. i had my first lil one last week. 

another question, i have a yukon xl, and washing the roof is very tedious. anyone have tips on that? i use a ladder right now but its still quite a reach. i havent seen any adams products for this yet. 

thanks again for the help

New cars need clayed as much as old cars.  Rail dust from train delivery is on there.  Now is the time to get it off.