Customer Service 866.965.0400

Car Maintenance GM/Pontiac

MAYBEN

What's y'all opinion on servicing your cars at the dealership?

I'm just about at 50K and am mounting new wheels/tires and will need an alignment as well.

Dealer just quoted me the following:

$80 Oil Change full synthetic (usually 5 quarts, I take 8.8 so most likely $100-110)

$140 Alignment

$188 Transmission Service

$140 Flush Brake Fluid

$160 Change Coolant

thats $700 +Tax

The above numbers exclude the tire rotation (not needed), engine air filter (not needed), cabin air filter (not needed)..

I thought about taking it to a non-dealer but IDK..

I don't have the time to do the above services myself, nor do I have the ability for some.

Thanks!

Edited by MAYBEN

I don't mind doing the oil, rotation, air filters, but time is a factor right now..

I don't want them touching my wheels though..

Are the items listed (other than oil and alignment) really necessary or just ways to take my money? Lol

Do you know of a local garage that you can trust? I would think they would be less costly than a dealer.

I was able to find a shop in my town that I fully trust. They won't do anymore then I ask and won't try to sell me stuff I don't want/need.

Unfortunately I do not have a shop that I trust..

as for doing the brake and coolant flushes, I don't have the time to even think about doing it.. too much work to do around the house..

I've heard a lot of shady stuff from jiffy lube so IMO i wouldn't go that route.  I took my truck to the local sears auto center for an oil change when i first moved to Kansas and overall, i just had a good vibe from them so i will prob. take it back to them if i ever decide to bring it in again.  

Every place will be different.  I would ask around locally to see where people go and are satisfied with their services.  Go online and see if there are reviews on places around your area

Nick, I totally understand the time thing.  But maybe do one thing now.  Maybe another this weekend.  None of that stuff listed is hard.  $80 for an oil change????  Thats ridiculous if you ask me.  I don't think I pay that much to have the oil in my diesel changed and the pig holds 10 quarts.  I do however do it myself for about $45, oil and filter included.  Antifreeze should be changed, it becomes acidic over time.  I just did it a while back in the wife's Charger.  Not that hard.  Granted it wasn't a power flush so to speak, but my take is if it is done at the required intervals it shouldn't be necessary.  

for the record, the oil change is full synthetic and takes 8.8 quarts..  but I agree, the stealership prices sound high..  I'd rather just pay and have it done now as I may not get a chance for a while..  lots of stuff to get done on the house before the Baby arrives..  and the next few weekends are tied up with either housework, Family Reunion/Picnic, Baby Showers (I have to shoot them), etc..

Unfortunately I do not have a shop that I trust..

as for doing the brake and coolant flushes, I don't have the time to even think about doing it.. too much work to do around the house..

I'am thinking you think there is more to it than there is.  Really easy.  Buy this and if you can read, you can do it.  The way I look at it is the book will pay for itself after one repair/maintenance interval.  And you will have learned something.  I don't see any of those things you listed as being hard or time consuming personally.  You will save a good chunk of change too.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?Make=PON&Model=G8++&Year=2009&Category=1&class%5F2=PON&mk=Pontiac&yr=2009&md=G8&dt=Shop%2FService+Information&module=&from=result&Style=helm&Sku=GMP09E&itemtype=N

That link above is the exact book that the dealers use.  Nothing like a Chilton.  I buy them for all my vehicles being that I'am a stickler on everything.  Chrysler however thinks their book is golden and wants $700.  The other nice thing about those books is it is your car specific.  Not 3 others and you have to figure out which procedure applies. 

Edited by LFairbanks

Nick .. totally understand where you are coming from.

I once worked at a dealer and this is high for what they are doing IMO.

Completely understand you have a lot to do ..Too bad I wasnt closer to you because I would help you out to get most of this done.

I do most of these services except tranny and alignment but the 4 wheel alignment cost me 79.00 and the B&G tranny service was 140.00. I use Meineke or Firestone for the alignment ..been using them for alignment for years never had an issue.

I use a local repair shop for the tranny service.

I understand dealers need to make money but I dont like getting raped in the process.

Plus my confidence in dealers is at an all time low ..especially with GM.

I'am thinking you think there is more to it than there is.  Really easy.  Buy this and if you can read, you can do it.  The way I look at it is the book will pay for itself after one repair/maintenance interval.  And you will have learned something.  I don't see any of those things you listed as being hard or time consuming personally.  You will save a good chunk of change too.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?Make=PON&Model=G8++&Year=2009&Category=1&class%5F2=PON&mk=Pontiac&yr=2009&md=G8&dt=Shop%2FService+Information&module=&from=result&Style=helm&Sku=GMP09E&itemtype=N

That link above is the exact book that the dealers use.  Nothing like a Chilton.  I buy them for all my vehicles being that I'am a stickler on everything.  Chrysler however thinks their book is golden and wants $700.  The other nice thing about those books is it is your car specific.  Not 3 others and you have to figure out which procedure applies. 

In this case it's actually a set of four books. :)

PA010001-2.jpg

Nick, the trans doesn't need flushed at 50,000 miles!  

I plan to do mine just as soon as I get it in to have a new TC installed.  :) 

Those prices sound about right for a dealer.   If you trust them, use them! 

Chris

Nick I know what you mean with trying to even make time versus justifying paying for someone else to do it. In regards to pricing.......that's about right for a dealership up here in the Northeast. Although the alignment seems a bit too high. I just had mine done for $73 on the truck. 

Whatever you do, just get it going soon since that new addition will be arriving and it will be tougher to make time for these things let alone correct your paint!!!  :jester:

for the record, the oil change is full synthetic and takes 8.8 quarts..  but I agree, the stealership prices sound high..  I'd rather just pay and have it done now as I may not get a chance for a while..  lots of stuff to get done on the house before the Baby arrives..  and the next few weekends are tied up with either housework, Family Reunion/Picnic, Baby Showers (I have to shoot them), etc..

For a car 8.8 is a lot of oil!!  My Cummins takes 3 gallons! I do all work on all three vehicles ecept for the automatic trans in the wifes Jeep.  My truck and Firebird are manuals.

you can do that stuff all your self for alot cheaper but i understand when you dont got time you dont got time.

But the alignment you could have done somewhere else than the dealer. the transmission service is what? drain the tranny and fill it back up? 

some of these charges for our G8's are ridiculous. thats why i like doing it myself. or have a shop do them for a lot cheaper. Like the tranny and coolant stuff i get 510 race engineering do those items. 

I agree that the pricing seems high with the dealership but your area may charge more than other areas.  It's obvious you don't have the time because of other issues in your life.  That being said time is of the essence.  I would do some research with your local friends/family and see if they know of a shop that is trust worthy.  If so, get a quote from them and see how far off they are from the dealership.   

I take my SS to Firestone and have used them for years.  I use the dealership for painting purposes though. :)

Good luck!

You don't think you have the time now...  WAIT!  HOLY CRAP does it get worse!  I seldom get a chance to wash vehicles anymore.  I haven't hand washed my G8 since May!!!!  I'll take it through the coin-op and do a straight water rinse.  

1 is bad, 2 is 4 times as bad.  Twins are 6 times as bad.  

You don't think you have the time now...  WAIT!  HOLY CRAP does it get worse!  I seldom get a chance to wash vehicles anymore.  I haven't hand washed my G8 since May!!!!  I'll take it through the coin-op and do a straight water rinse.  

True, but it gets better as they get older. I on more than one occasion put them in their car seats, went for a drive to get them asleep, then snuck into the DIY car wash just to get a quick two bucket wash in. Close the door carefully and leave Laurie Berkner on low volume and I was good to go. I also did the same but the did a no rinse wash with them in the car. Now that they're 5 I just toss 'em in the front yard and keep an eye on them as I wash, detail spray or wax.

IMG_0514_zps7e0edd45.jpg

BTW: You will learn to love, then hate Lori Berkner, et al.

Edited by sportredmistress

Nick, the trans doesn't need flushed at 50,000 miles!  

I plan to do mine just as soon as I get it in to have a new TC installed.   :)

Those prices sound about right for a dealer.   If you trust them, use them! 

Chris

They said transmission service, not sure what it entails..

Nick I know what you mean with trying to even make time versus justifying paying for someone else to do it. In regards to pricing.......that's about right for a dealership up here in the Northeast. Although the alignment seems a bit too high. I just had mine done for $73 on the truck. 

Whatever you do, just get it going soon since that new addition will be arriving and it will be tougher to make time for these things let alone correct your paint!!!  :jester:

The wheels came in yesterday.. they were outside in the pouring rain..  I took them in, unwrapped and dried them.. two are in the bathroom on the first floor and the other two are in the hallway..  I need to seal them too..  I'm dying to put them on, and would love to do correct the paint, but, sh!t happens.. lol

Technically the trans fluid is good for 100k miles, but they do kinda seem a little high in prices.  But then again we wouldnt call them stealerships for nothing.

tranny service, not sure if that includes a fluid change

you can do that stuff all your self for alot cheaper but i understand when you dont got time you dont got time.

But the alignment you could have done somewhere else than the dealer. the transmission service is what? drain the tranny and fill it back up? 

some of these charges for our G8's are ridiculous. thats why i like doing it myself. or have a shop do them for a lot cheaper. Like the tranny and coolant stuff i get 510 race engineering do those items. 

I assume 510 Race Engineering is not near me..

I agree that the pricing seems high with the dealership but your area may charge more than other areas.  It's obvious you don't have the time because of other issues in your life.  That being said time is of the essence.  I would do some research with your local friends/family and see if they know of a shop that is trust worthy.  If so, get a quote from them and see how far off they are from the dealership.   

I take my SS to Firestone and have used them for years.  I use the dealership for painting purposes though. :)

Good luck!

local friends/family do not really service their cars anywhere special (if at all)

lmao.. I don't have time now as I'm fixing the house to get ready for the Baby, lol..