Customer Service 866.965.0400

Engine Bay Detail Question

13-Mustang-GT/CS

Question

This week I am finally going to tackle my engine bay. I have had the car for a little over a year and it has never been done. I wanted to do it a few times but was a little worried on what can get wet. In the vol.8 videos ashley said you dont have to worry about the battery on the camaro because its in the trunk..  I dont have a camaro so mine isn't. I just dont know what to cover up with bags so water doesnt get in. Here are 3 pics of my engine bay. Can you guys please let me know what to cover up

photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo-3.jpg

sorry about the wet car. It was raining when I took these pics today after work 

18 answers to this question

I didn't cover-up anything when I did mine, and I had no trouble at all.  That said, I did NOT spray water directly into/onto the alternator, battery, fuse block, or air filter.  Once dry, I applied SVRT and In & Out Spray.  Following that initial detail, I do little more than wipe down with Detail Spray whenever I wash the rest of the car, touching-up with SVRT and In & Out as required.

post-9610-0-07497100-1375056309_thumb.jpg

pretty much what norton said. i forgot to cover my air filter and the foam got pretty wet. didnt affect anything but in the future id cover it. i did cover my alternator with a grocery sack. the battery i also forgot to cover but i didnt spray it directly either. dont panic. just dry it out well and you SHOULD be ok. there isnt anything wrong with being extra careful or covering more than you need to. some forums recommend covering all wiring harnesses. make sure you run the car after youre done to help dry it out. hope this helps.

Joseph that's a sad day for Mustang guys lol.  You need to get in there and clean it up.  You still have the stock intake so as long as you take Steve's advice you'll be fine.  You won't have to spray water on it again to clean it.  I maintain my engine bay with WW and VRT.  No hosing required.

Sr7vuBU.jpg

I didn't cover-up anything when I did mine, and I had no trouble at all.  That said, I did NOT spray water directly into/onto the alternator, battery, fuse block, or air filter.  Once dry, I applied SVRT and In & Out Spray.  Following that initial detail, I do little more than wipe down with Detail Spray whenever I wash the rest of the car, touching-up with SVRT and In & Out as required.

Thanks for the info. I will defiantly be doing this on tuesday.

Joseph that's a sad day for Mustang guys lol.  You need to get in there and clean it up.  You still have the stock intake so as long as you take Steve's advice you'll be fine.  You won't have to spray water on it again to clean it.  I maintain my engine bay with WW and VRT.  No hosing required.

I know. Everytime I look at it I get disappointed on how dirty it is. Im gunna do it on tuesday and I will post some pics of it when done.. 

Also Tom love the plates lol

And both your engines make mine look like a baby haha, Would do more to it but it is my DD, Not really racing it or anything 

Edited by 13-Mustang-GT/CS

When I did my 2006 Mustang GT, I sprayed everything down with APC and then scrubbed it with a  wheel well brush then hosed it off using the shower pattern on my garden house sprayer.

Then I applied some quick detailer spray to the plastic parts

Sr7vuBU.jpg

Tom, THANK YOU.  That's how you keep it clean the right way!

So on sunday I posted some pictures of my dirty engine bay.

Today I washed and detailed the car as well as finally doing the engine bay. This was my first time doing it so there can be some improvement, but what I did is a big difference in person and I am happy with it...

Dirty engine bay head on 

DirtyHeadon.jpg

Dirty Battery and left side

DirtyLeftSide.jpg

After washing the bay.. No Super VRT applied yet

Cleanheadonnovrt.jpg

Ordered a crome fuze box cover the other night and put it on today 

Cromegtbox.jpg

Final Product 

final.jpg

IMG_2240.jpg

IMG_2241.jpg

When I got back inside made some VRT milk for next time. In and Out Spray couldn't reach some spots down below 

Looking good!  :2thumbs:

Very nice Joseph!  It will be very easy to maintain from now on too.  Even with the '13 vents I just have to touch it up a little each wash.

I cant wait till next time I wash my car to see how easy the engine bay will be. 

I am going to try half with WCW and the other half with TID

I dont remember what post it was in but I remember someone saying that TID works great with the engine bay.  

I am going to do a good testing (over a few different washes) to see which one I like best 

I cant wait till next time I wash my car to see how easy the engine bay will be. 

I am going to try half with WCW and the other half with TID

I dont remember what post it was in but I remember someone saying that TID works great with the engine bay.  

I am going to do a good testing (over a few different washes) to see which one I like best 

I saw the same thread on TID use under the hood, but haven't tried it yet.  I look forward to reading/seeing your results...

Looks good, never had an issue with spraying motor using a fine spray. When it rains water splashes up underneath in engine bay anyways. Wouldn't hurt the battery to wash, not enough voltage to short circuit or arch. A lot of people forget the motor.

Edited by Rich B.

I saw the same thread on TID use under the hood, but haven't tried it yet.  I look forward to reading/seeing your results...

yep thats the one I saw

I'd say TID would work fine for all the plastics but WW the painted parts like shock tower area and such.

Yeah that makes sense. I just want to try and use up some TID. Have a full gallon plus a 16oz of it. Dont really use it much. My interior stays pretty clean.