Customer Service 866.965.0400

Too much product being used?

1MEANGS

Question

Had some time after work today so I decided to clean my wheels, tires, barrels, and perform a two bucket wash, this way I could put the car back in the garage so I can clay bar & start using the flex! (Sometime in the next few days that is)... Long story short I did the washing of the wheels exactly the same as Adam did in the volume 8 vid & boy did they turn out sweet... Only problem was somehow I went thru a 16oz bottle of green wheel cleaner, and 3\4 of the APC, anyone else in the same boat or em I just going over kill? HELP lol

23 answers to this question

I would say you might have used a bit too much.   But i haven't seen the size of your wheels and if you have a semi....

A little goes a long way and I believe most of us use too much the first few times.  If a little is great, a lot will be fabulous mentality.  

How dirty were the wheels and tires? Were you using a foaming sprayer?

The entire bottle of GWC seems excessive, but APC seems about right if they were pretty dirty.

the wheels were filthy... On chrome should I be using the deep wheel cleaner instead?

the wheels were filthy... On chrome should I be using the deep wheel cleaner instead?

Start with the lightest cleaner first - if it's not cutting it, then go ahead and move up to the Deep Wheel Cleaner.  Don't sweat about using too much product...it's a universal rule of detailing that if you're new...you used too much.

If the wheels are bad, especially the barrels, I can go through that much GWC. as far as the APC, that's about right. I started buying by the gallon. Really reduces cost per ounce.

the APC was used for the tires (fender brush used) and wheel wells (used medium size wheel woolies) and the green wheel cleaner was used for barrels (turbo stick), lug brush for lugs/wheels, and green wheel for rims \ used boar hair brush!

Eric, I lightly mist my wheel faces, inner barrels, and brake calipers with the Green Wheel Cleaner and let it sit for a minute or so (don't let it dry on them). I'll then have a damp Wheel Woolie, or Turbo Stick (dampened by being placed in a bucket with water and Car Shampoo) to do the cleaning. Again, I'll mist the tool I'm using on the wheels with the Green Wheel Cleaner and start scrubbing. Use the Boulder Blonde Boars Hair Brush on the wheel faces and the Trim and Lug brush anywhere the other tools won't reach. I can wash three sets of wheels with one 16oz bottle. Once your wheels are clean and maintained properly, you might want to try as I do and mix the Green Wheel Cleaner with 25% water. Others mix a strong solution of Car Shampoo and water once their coated with QS.

As stated above protect the wheels with a coat of the QS, the Green Wheel Cleaner diluted with water won't be as harsh and won't remove the QS as quickly.

If you had a silicone based product on the tires the amount of APC you went through seems about right to take it off. SVRT FTW!

Foaming sprayers use a lot more product than the normal sprayers. If the vehicle isn't too dirty I will use the normal sprayers and lightly mist. If I know they're dirty, I'll use the foaming sprayer.

so what your saying is I should buy different sprayers?

so what your saying is I should buy different sprayers?

Yes, or next time you order, just ask that they include the normal sprayers instead, but I thought they said they would stop including foaming sprayers.

Like others have said, this is why i don't use the foaming sprayers. The normal ones work just fine, and use less product while still allowing you to get enough product on whatever surface you're working on. 

I'll have to order some sprays then, a lot cheaper than wasting good product. . . How important is it too strip the old wax prior to using the flex? When I did my wash yesterday I just used the car shampoo, with the intensions of clay barring and starting the polishing process . . .

Edited by 1MEANGS

Also keep in mind that if it's the first time you are properly detailing your car, you are going to use more than the usual amount of cleaners. Once you get the car perfect, from then on out it's just light maintenance and you will need to use significantly less.

I'll have to order some sprays then, a lot cheaper than wasting good product. . . How important is it too strip the old wax prior to using the flex? When I did my wash yesterday I just used the car shampoo, with the intensions of clay barring and starting the polishing process . . .

Did you do a decon wash with APC/CWS or just a regular wash with CWS?

Edited by DonJuan692006

Just curious. I'd honestly recommend doing a decon wash with three ounces of APC added to your CWS to wash before starting a full correction detail. In all honesty though polishing should remove most, if not all, of the wax. Someone more experienced could probably add to this, but the decon wash would help with getting the rest of the car clean that's not painted or will be getting polished.

How important is it too strip the old wax prior to using the flex? When I did my wash yesterday I just used the car shampoo, with the intensions of clay barring and starting the polishing process . . .

Really all depends on when the last time was you waxed it. If it's been more than two months and several wash jobs I wouldn't worry about it, most all the wax is gone. The clay will remove wax, however if there's too much wax it will make the clay less effective. The process of polishing will remove wax too, but can clog the pores up on the polishing pad making it less effective.

Really all depends on when the last time was you waxed it. If it's been more than two months and several wash jobs I wouldn't worry about it, most all the wax is gone. The clay will remove wax, however if there's too much wax it will make the clay less effective. The process of polishing will remove wax too, but can clog the pores up on the polishing pad making it less effective.

Gotcha, I'm holding off on the Vette for now anyways, it has minor swirls in the paint & there very hard to see because of my color! What rele needs attention is my 97' Subaru... Its black and never had a detail in its life... Needs a lot of TLC, I'll take before \ after pics because this one will be very drastic of a difference!!!