Customer Service 866.965.0400

Any Pontiac G8 owners here.....paint questions

08G8

Question

I'm a first timer to machine polishing and I am going to learn on my G8, I'm a little nervous to begin with but I have read in other forums that the paint on the G8's is soft. Is this true and are there any areas I should be careful or concerned with? My car is black and I have a porter cable 7424XP on the way.

14 answers to this question

Craig, as long as you don't drop the Porter Cable on your car you're good to go. The G8's paint is very easy to work with. Just start with a 2' x 2' test area to dial in your process. DO THIS! Trust me you want to do this. Nothing worse than doing the whole car and being disappointed with the results. Voice of experience talking on this end.  

Be sure to take before and after pics and post 'em up here. We look forward to seeing them and giving you some of these:

:2thumbs:  :glasses:  :rockon:  :bow::thumbsup:

And if you don't post any pics then MAYBEN will jump in with his signature line: :worthless:

:jester:

The plastic panels (bumpers, side skirts, rear spoiler, and hood scoop inserts) take more effort to correct than the rest of the car (metal). My G8 was actually a joy to correct because of how well the paint responded to Adam's two-step system. If your paint isn't too messed up, then one pass of each polish with foam pads should get you 95% perfect. You don't have to worry about anything, especially with the PC7424. Soft paint is great for correcting - properly maintaining it afterwards to prevent more swirls is the part you want to concern yourself with. Layer of sealant/wax, proper washing methods, etc. 

Make sure you check out the videos for some more tips

Craig, as long as you don't drop the Porter Cable on your car you're good to go.

Yes do not do this .. I did and I hate myself for it.  (Don't ask)

The paint on these G8 stink IMO. Too soft. but easy to correct.

Listen to what the others mentioned.

I here you, but I haven't received all my supplies yet.....just got the PC yesterday and expect my pads on Friday then I will be able to begin the process and pics will follow.

Craig you will be fine. There are different ways that people polish, but the product is one key ingredient. As all of us Adams folks know this is great stuff. Not sure if it was mentioned but don't skip claying the car. This will make a huge difference in how smooth the paint is before you start polishing. Take your time and as others have mentioned start with a 2x2 section and see if you can get it like you want. All of us have learned the tricks as we got experience.

You didn't mention if you went with the new microfiber pads or the foam pads. There are different techniques and how much polish to use based on the pads. Watching the videos is a very good starting point for learning. Keep the pad flat and moving along. The most common mistake with the foam pads is using too much product and knowing when it flashes. You will be fine and with a little work you will make yourself very happy with the finished product.

Congrats on the G8, I LOVE mine especially when I put the Cortex tune in it. It is a different car than the one that I took delivery of over 4.5 years ago. I love it when the tires squawk when it shifts into second gear with half throttle! Even Adam got a kick out of it.

Best of luck and don't be afraid to ask questions. Lots of great people here with lots of experience.