Customer Service 866.965.0400

Too Many products, trying to get it right

pgodden

Question

Ok I have been reading for hours and watched the DVD that came from Adams. First of I must say I am impressed with the breadth of products, but, I want to do this right.

I have a 2014 Shelby GT500 and only 500 kms on it, I drive it once in a while it is more of a collector than a driver. I want to take proper care of it so after talking to Dylan via email, (very helpful by the way, thanks), I purchased the Essentials Kit upgraded to Americana, I also bought some waterless car wash, Total Interior detailer and All purpose cleaner.

That being said, I am getting ready for my first Wash and detail, the car is a ittle dirty as it got hit with 3 minutes of rain, but only a litttle. I have been reviewing the process using the products I have in front of me and have a few questions before I proceed.

1) Claybar, are you suppposed to Clay bar the entire car or just the rough spots? I seem to be reading conflicting thoughts on this.

When using the Claybar, they show detail spray (have also read waterless car wash), to lubicate the clay, do you just wipe it of with a microfiber afterwards?  is this in a state, once wiped, that you can proceed over top with the next detailing step or do you have to wash again?

2) The Essentials kit came with Revive Hand Polish, Glaze and Americana wax, given the newness of the car do I still use the Revive? By name it sounds like a restoration type product, The car is brand new hence the question. Is it wise and advantageous to apply all three in this first detailing task?

Thanks everyone

20 answers to this question

Clay the entire car, including the glass. If it's rough in one spot it will be rough all over. It would take too much time to figure out which spots need it and which spots don't, so it's easier to just do the whole thing. Claying isn't something done often, so do it right the first time.

Use DS as a lubricant. Some people wash the car after, some don't . Depends on what you have in terms of work space. If you're doing this outside (not ideal) I'd re-wash. Inside, you don't have to. I like to keep a waffle weave towel on hand while claying, as I prefer to wipe up the residue after finishing an area.

As for the Revive, even new cars need some love. Do a test area with the Revive, if you notice a difference, do the rest of the car. If you don't, skip that step and move onto Glaze then Wax. Revive is also good for clearing up headlamps, so if you have a daily driver that needs some attention you can put it to work there.

Welcome, fellow GT500 owner!  Here's what I did with mine...

1.  Strip wash using a Car Wash Pad with Shampoo and APC

2.  Dry with a Great White Towel (and DS as required)

3.  Dress all plastic/rubber moldings and trim with SVRT

4.  Clay entire car using DS as a lubricant

5.  Polish with FMP and White Pad on my PC7424XP

6.  IPA wipedown with SS Microfiber

7.  MSS and Gray Pad on my PC

8.  BG and Red Pad on my PC

9.  Americana (one of two carnuba waxes I use) and Gray Pad on my PC

In the absence of a machine polisher, I'd do as Gerry recommends... Give the Revive a try.  If you like what you see, do the rest of the car.  If not, skip it.  Everything else I recommended, except MSS, can be applied by hand.  Mine definitely benefited from the polish - results were great, with multiple Best in Class wins at car shows throughout the summer.  Good luck and post some pics!

Welcome, fellow GT500 owner!  Here's what I did with mine...

1.  Strip wash using a Car Wash Pad with Shampoo and APC

2.  Dry with a Great White Towel (and DS as required)

3.  Dress all plastic/rubber moldings and trim with SVRT

4.  Clay entire car using DS as a lubricant

5.  Polish with FMP and White Pad on my PC7424XP

6.  IPA wipedown with SS Microfiber

7.  MSS and Gray Pad on my PC

8.  BG and Red Pad on my PC

9.  Americana (one of two carnuba waxes I use) and Gray Pad on my PC

In the absence of a machine polisher, I'd do as Gerry recommends... Give the Revive a try.  If you like what you see, do the rest of the car.  If not, skip it.  Everything else I recommended, except MSS, can be applied by hand.  Mine definitely benefited from the polish - results were great, with multiple Best in Class wins at car shows throughout the summer.  Good luck and post some pics!

Thanks Perfect...... did you use the VRT on your stripes? I assume they were masked of before all the polish, glaze, wax etc?

Clay the entire car, including the glass. If it's rough in one spot it will be rough all over. It would take too much time to figure out which spots need it and which spots don't, so it's easier to just do the whole thing. Claying isn't something done often, so do it right the first time.

Use DS as a lubricant. Some people wash the car after, some don't . Depends on what you have in terms of work space. If you're doing this outside (not ideal) I'd re-wash. Inside, you don't have to. I like to keep a waffle weave towel on hand while claying, as I prefer to wipe up the residue after finishing an area.

As for the Revive, even new cars need some love. Do a test area with the Revive, if you notice a difference, do the rest of the car. If you don't, skip that step and move onto Glaze then Wax. Revive is also good for clearing up headlamps, so if you have a daily driver that needs some attention you can put it to work there.

Awesome thanks... just a little nervouse of the clay thing. I have never done it before

Awesome thanks... just a little nervouse of the clay thing. I have never done it before

Claying couldn't be simpler.  You'll enjoy it.  Just take your time and fold the clay often.  It will amaze you what it takes off even from a "new" car.  There's a lot of crap on there you can't see.

Thanks Perfect...... did you use the VRT on your stripes? I assume they were masked of before all the polish, glaze, wax etc?

Yes.  (Sorry, I should have been more clear.)  VRT is GREAT on the stripes.  Check out this thread and video for lots of good info on how to care for them.

Once you SVRT them, you won't get tape to stick to them.  (Yes, I tried.)  I find that, between the SVRT and staying away from them with the buffer, I haven't had any problems.

x3 on the recommendation not to worry.  Claying is easy to do and hard to screw up.  Just make sure you keep the clay lubricated with DS - not a lot, but enough to keep it gliding over the surface.  Stay away from the EDGES of your stripes.  (It's fine on the stripes, but you don't want it caked-up along the edges.)

Edited by Norton

All very good suggestions to far.  

Also - if you DROP the clay (we've all done it) chuck it!  Don't use a piece of clay that's been dropped.  Just tear off another piece and you'll be better at it the second time around.

A little more information on the clay - don't use the whole thing at one time.  Tear off about a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the clay bar to use.  IF you drop it, there is plenty more clean clay available.

Thanks everyone, I did the clay and the car is turning out really awesome. The only issues i had was with the amount of detail spray I was using, too much, it was running allover. Also, even once I adjusted and sprayed less on, I did have to hold a microfiber cloth and dry each section when it was done to clean it up, not sure if that was the correct thing to do but the car is looking good.

I also went ahead with the Revive Hand Polish, my only observation there was the tendancy to apply it and buff it all off. I dont think that thought was correct and started to realize that you had to apply it, spread it out and then work it in with the applicator and then using the Micro cloth buff the small remnants left behind. The changes after applying this were a very slight as the shine was exceptional and new anyway, it did add a level of smoothness and silkiness that was desirable.

Anyway, today is Brilliant Glaze and Americana Day

Edited by pgodden

Thanks everyone, I did the clayand the car is turning out really awesome. The only issues i had was with the amount of detail spray I was using, too much, it was running allover. Also, even once I adjusted and sprayed less on, I did have to hold a microfiber cloth and dry each section when it was done to clean it up, not sure if that was the correct thing to do but the car is looking good.

I also went ahead with the Revive Hand Polish, my only observation there was the tendancy to apply it and buff it all off. I dont think that thought was correct and started to realize that you had to apply it, spread it out and then work it in with the applicator and using the Micro cloth to buff the small remnants left behind. The changes after using this were a very slight change as the shine was exceptional and new anyway, but it did add a level of smothness and silkiness that was desireable.

Anyway, today is Brilliant Glaze amd Americana Day

Good to hear that it's going well and the first use of their stuff is always a learning experience. Make sure you post some pics when you get done.

Looks great, even upside down.  

Seriously speaking, nice color choice!  2013's Red Candy Metallic was on my short list but I couldn't resist Black.

same here.. nothing beats black when its clean and kept right.

I love a Black car, but, I had a 89 SHO in black and I hated all the swirls and how hard it was to keep Clean. The one requirement I had for the Shelby was no Black because of it