Customer Service 866.965.0400

Taping off trim and gaps during detailing problem

bobfred44

Question

I have tried to use tape over my trim and on gaps between doors/fenders/hood while I am detailing our cars.  Honestly I am not happy with the results but I am also not happy when I don't use it since I am constantly wiping off excess detail product I missed during the final shiinning process.   

Here are my issues using tape and need advice on what I am doing incorrectly;

1.  I use my Flex for detailing.  Almost all the time I am pulling off the tape with the machine while detailing.  I try not to get the pad on the tape but always seen ti do it.  Any suggestions on keeping the tape on? 

2.  If by chance the tape does stay on the vehicle, once I am finished with all steps of the detailing a line appears which shows where and where I did not apply the product.  I am not speaking about a line of product itself, just the difference between detailed and non detaile.

There is probably a simple soluction to corrent my method but this is the best place to ask.  "No judgement zone."

Thanks.

14 answers to this question

On the cracks position the tape just over the opening on the side you are polishing.  So it just covers it.  When you do the other side reverse the tape so that side is just covered.   Do NOT position the tape in the middle of the crack and cover more area then you need to cover.  If the tape is close enough to the crack you should not be able to see a line. 

I only tape the trim and emblems now.  Start polishing your section away from the gap and work towards it.  The excess polish should be spread out and/or absorbed by the time you get to the gap.

This.  I noticed Adam did this on the release videos of the new 2 step system.  It was an "ah-ha" moment for me.  The last time I polished, I worked the polish over the majority of the panel and when it was thin enough, I would hit the gaps.  This did not leave any polish in the gaps.  I am now only taping the emblems and plastic trim as well. 

I have also cut narrow strips of tape for the small cracks a polisher can easily go over.  These were primarily around the fenders and front and rear bumpers.  It saved time by not having to re-position the tape and the PC did not seem to catch the edges.   

Another helpful tip is to tape it all off before you clay.  Having the Clay/DS residue on there will only cause problems getting the low-tack tape to "tack" to the paint.

I think that I should have done this^^^^^

When I did my paint correction wit the Flex I had tape(the one from Adams) coming off. After thinking about it now I did clay with DS before taping so it did not have a good enough surface to stick to. I had the tape especially around the window molding coming off just touching it with the polisher. Lesson learned.

Another helpful tip is to tape it all off before you clay.  Having the Clay/DS residue on there will only cause problems getting the low-tack tape to "tack" to the paint.

I tried this and other recommendations to my question.  It worked great with great results from my weekend detailing. The black Volvo looks fantastic, now tape lines or white residue in the gaps.  Thanks to everyone. :D

I tried this and other recommendations to my question.  It worked great with great results from my weekend detailing. The black Volvo looks fantastic, now tape lines or white residue in the gaps.  Thanks to everyone. :D

One of the main reasons I'll always use Adam's is because of this forum.  :2thumbs: