Customer Service 866.965.0400

Crap/Mold on Weatherstripping but only on the lower window part, how to clean/remove?

jtrade

Question

I searched but could not find anything like this...  Anyone know how of if it is even possible to remove this crap that is only on the weatherstripping on the door by the front and passenger windows?  It is not present anywhere else on the weatherstripping on the vehicle just the weatherstripping where the window meets the door...  I have a full dual front and rear sun/panoroof and it is not like on the weatherstripping around it nor is it on any other weatherstripping on the vehicle...

Any help is appreciated as the last time I gave the car a good wash it did not remove any of this gunk, also tried using my fingernail and it doesnt budge...  It looks horrible!  Looking for suggestions before I get the weatherstripping replaced...

weatherstrip_01.jpg

weatherstrip_02.jpg

Thanks,

J

Edited by jtrade

23 answers to this question

Try APC and a toothbrush...start at 5:1 and work your way to full strength if need.

Can you tell if it's imbedded into the rubber, or sitting on the surface?

Not sure but my fingernail will not remove it for sure...  Ill give that a shot, just happen to have purchased some of the big APC that is on sale with the Perfect Interior Kit I got recently... 

APC is OK on paint as long as I dont let it dry?

Clay Bar and Detail Spray will be on the say this week, ordering tomorrow...

Thanks for all your help BTW!!!

Edited by jtrade

Of course...it's 100% clear coat safe even at full strength...but you are correct, not in full sun and don't let it dry.  That is a general rule of thumb for most chemicals on paint.

I say 5:1 because different rubbers react differently to different APC's...ask me how I know.  Last thing you need is to get the staining off, and then have discoloration on your rubber trim from APC.

EDIT:  I like to start with a rubber surface that is not dry...get some water on there first, foam it up with agitation, let it dwell for a minute and rinse.....

....that clay trick might work also...I've never tried it.

Edited by 07RS4

APC on a towel then dress and protect with SVRT.  APC on the paint will strip wax and some sealants depending what you have on there, so spray the towel instead of the trim.

I've had no issues using full strength APC on the Optima's rubber trim pieces, but you can always dilute to start because if it works for you, it is saving product.

Edited by SYMAWD

Of course...it's 100% clear coat safe even at full strength...but you are correct, not in full sun and don't let it dry.  That is a general rule of thumb for most chemicals on paint.

I say 5:1 because different rubbers react differently to different APC's...ask me how I know.  Last thing you need is to get the staining off, and then have discoloration on your rubber trim from APC.

EDIT:  I like to start with a rubber surface that is not dry...get some water on there first, foam it up with agitation, let it dwell for a minute and rinse.....

....that clay trick might work also...I've never tried it.

Thanks I was thinking of diluting it 10:1 for starters...

APC on a towel then dress and protect with SVRT.  APC on the paint will strip wax and some sealants depending what you have on there, so spray the towel instead of the trim.

I've had no issues using full strength APC on the Optima's rubber trim pieces, but you can always dilute to start because if it works for you, it is saving product.

Thanks Man, I will give that a shot but no SVRT in the arsenal..  Will order with the Clay Bar/Detail Spray Kit tomorrow!

I have whatever the dealer put on their paint wise, water does still bead tho... :(  Just started getting into the whole detailing aspect cause I have to keep my Baby's, Baby Clean...  It is a used Optima so this crap may have been there a while...

All else fails I'll try the same method I use when fitting a rubber but pad to a firearm stock (different grits of sandpaper and them some wax over the top)....  Just dont want to go that route if I dont have to...

Edited by jtrade

I've used clay on rubber trim before--it's shocking how greatly contaminant it was. It was so bad I reverted to using previously used (on paint) clay so as not to saturate a new piece with gunk!

Good tip...thanks.

jtrade (Name)...not sure I would take sandpaper to my rubber trim...it will remove all protective properties it ever had and surely be forever dull and require a more permanent coating than SVRT IMO.  Maybe something like DLUX, but that's a different manufacturer so I won't get into it here.....but if you know more than me (most people do :)) and try it...take pictures :)

Good tip...thanks.

jtrade (Name)...not sure I would take sandpaper to my rubber trim...it will remove all protective properties it ever had and surely be forever dull and require a more permanent coating than SVRT IMO.  Maybe something like DLUX, but that's a different manufacturer so I won't get into it here.....but if you know more than me (most people do :)) and try it...take pictures :)

I kno absolutely no where near as much as u!!!  Just thinking outside the box if the APC or clay doesnt work so I dont have to replace the weatherstripping...  For what it is worth I have no idea what protective properties the weatherstripping has had before we owned the vehicle...

thnx again, 

If APC doesn't work, and clay doesn't work, about the only other thing I can think of (besides bug/tar remover, presuming of course that it's safe for rubber; I dunno if it is having never done so) is an "eraser wheel" (commonly used for removing pin striping and adhesive under badges).

"Eraser wheels" typically are 4" in diameter so you're going to have issues getting it in/at the ends. You'll likely want to rotate the wheel 90 degrees, i.e., perpendicular to the trim. Or just use a hand eraser (the light brown color ones, not the pink color ones).

ETA: A toothbrush was already suggested; I wonder how #0000 steel wool would fare? (Tape your paint just in case.)

Edited by Nevada Smith

Eraser wheel (rubber on rubber) seems like a recipe for disaster IMHO. 

Thats definitely something nasty though... if its indeed mold or even baked on sap I would suspect some heat would help, as in hot water... maybe even a little isopropyl alcohol. 

Last resort would be using an abrasive (fine grade scotchbrite pad, 0000 wool, or even fine grit sandpaper) but that will definitely change the properties of the trim a good amount and like others mentioned required some pretty heavy conditioning to restore. 

Eraser wheels will destroy the rubber! If the APC does not work try a harsher cleaner like Wesly's Bleech White or Spray 9 (both are very strong) and scrub with a tooth brush...... Be careful with these harsh cleaners and wear gloves! Experiment on a small area before you apply to a large piece of trim.

Once you use a harsh cleaner on rubber you must recondition the rubber...... Just don't let it go without applying a restorer.

Edited by Chuckster

Here is a follow-up to my previous post:

1. Re: Eraser wheel

This morning I tried a 4" eraser wheel on the rubber around my daily driver's windshield, and on a seal above a door. These have tape residue "baked on" by exposure to the sun.

Yeah, it removed the adhesive but Dylan is correct: rubber on rubber is a recipe for disaster! Besides the difficultly of man-handling the drill to overcome the rubber on rubber friction (stiction?), a noticeable surface marring was introduced (as Chuckster previously noted), which negates any benefit. The process is tedious (due to the friction causing the eraser wheel to continually "bounce") so I would not want to have to do anymore than the tiny area I tested.

2. Re: bug and tar remover

I also tested this and it did not remove the adhesive. All it did that I could discern was cause the cotton ball to become saturated with black residue from the rubber.

So now we know of two things NOT to do!

Edited by Nevada Smith

Thanks for all the tips...  I will try some ACP, heated water, alcohol & some auto goo gone I forgot I had...  I just looked and I can get brand new weatherstripping all the way around where this gunk is for about $45 (figured it would be way more expensive than that)... It maybe better just replacing it if a little elbow grease and what products I have on hand dont work... 

Ill make sure to keep Super VRT of em...

Edited by jtrade

Eraser wheel (rubber on rubber) seems like a recipe for disaster IMHO. 

Thats definitely something nasty though... if its indeed mold or even baked on sap I would suspect some heat would help, as in hot water... maybe even a little isopropyl alcohol. 

Last resort would be using an abrasive (fine grade scotchbrite pad, 0000 wool, or even fine grit sandpaper) but that will definitely change the properties of the trim a good amount and like others mentioned required some pretty heavy conditioning to restore. 

Dylan I think you may be right about the SAP as this vehicle does get parked under a tree quite often and sap gets all over it from time to time but always comes off when we wash it, not sure why it didnt come off only these pieces of weatherstripping...

EDIT:  I used some alcohol swabs before the better half left in the vehicle for work and it did remove some of this gunk.  Before I could feel it raised above the surface and the alcohol took that much of it off so it is smooth now you can still see it but it doesnt look as bad...   I will try a couple more things tomorrow...

Great now the Super VRT Kit that was on special yesterday is not longer there today when I was fixing to order it...  :(

Edited by jtrade

Oh please, someone come up with a solution for this problem.  I have something similar on my Lexus IS300.  It's worse on the driver side. I have tried APC, I have tried clay, I have tried lots of SVRT, and have rubbed and rubbed and rubbed with a cloth and nothing will budge it.

Oh please, someone come up with a solution for this problem.  I have something similar on my Lexus IS300.  It's worse on the driver side. I have tried APC, I have tried clay, I have tried lots of SVRT, and have rubbed and rubbed and rubbed with a cloth and nothing will budge it.

Same here with APC and some other things...  The alcohol suggested by Dylan worked the best however you can still see it but it is no where near as bad as the pic I posted...

I ordered a Clar Bar Kit with detail spray, one of the big bottles of SVRT along with a couple of the foam applicators...  They should be here Wednesday so I'm gonna put some SVRT on em after another good wipe down with alcohol & see how they look...

I have some on my ridgeline just like this, nothing is going to take it off......unfortunately. I'm going to tape off the paint and windows and plastidip it. It'll be a $5 fix and be a lot easier than replacing the trim. 

I have some on my ridgeline just like this, nothing is going to take it off......unfortunately. I'm going to tape off the paint and windows and plastidip it. It'll be a $5 fix and be a lot easier than replacing the trim. 

Any clue what it is?  this is on a used car we purchased and it not on any other "weather stripping or seal" on the whole vehicle....  Think I will just spend the $50 and replace them all...

Although it kinda pisses me off like the dealer covered it up somehow when we purchased the vehicle...  Wonder If I could get them replaced under warranty... :)

Edited by jtrade

I think I have that on my weatehrstripping as well. My guess is its just airborne contaminants that settle on the rubber and are baked on by sun and then probably grow or discolor with the dew and rain water. Given that it's nearly a flat surface, and sort of recessed from the wind, that's my guess. I can't get it off either, I just pretend it's not there. I have tried APC and SVRT, and nothing is a permanant solution.

Any clue what it is?  this is on a used car we purchased and it not on any other "weather stripping or seal" on the whole vehicle....  Think I will just spend the $50 and replace them all...

Although it kinda pisses me off like the dealer covered it up somehow when we purchased the vehicle...  Wonder If I could get them replaced under warranty... :)

mine is also on a used car, and I haven't personally experienced this one any vehicle I've owned since new. I think it's just nastiness that's made it's way into the rubber/vinyl and damaged it.